shape
carat
color
clarity

need info

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

1forum

Rough_Rock
just wondering if you can just give me what i should be looking for in a diamonds stats....heres an example i just cut and copied: 1.64 G SI1 62.2% 57% GIA thn no vg ex no 7.50*7.57*4.69 ..................now what range should i be in to have a nice diamond with all these numbers........also i want to stay in the 1.55 to almost 1.70 carat range....thanks in advance

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you need crown and pavilion angles.

then, you need pictures.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara wrote down what her ideal ranges are a while back and I kept it b/c I was just learning at the time and wanted to see what my eyes told me along with her numbers.

personally, I trusted my vendor''s eyes on my stone but it was also and AGS000 so I was pretty sure it was gonna be pretty
1.gif

Here''s what mara said and I tend to agree:

table: 55-56 (but i would do 54 or 57 MAYBE if the other numbers corresponded but i''d prefer not to)
depth: 60.4ish-61.2ish (these are really strict, you can go up to 62 and still have a lovely diamond but then you lose some diameter in the depth which bugs me)
crown angle: 34.4ish-34.9 (maybe more shallow than 34.4 but depends on other specs)
pav angle: 40.5-40.8 (40.9 if necessary and other specs are cherry)
girdle: thin-med is my fave because i don''t want weight lost in the girdle nor do i like to see it
polish/symm: EX/EX or ID/ID
culet: none or vs is fine too
fluor: i''d love slight-strong fluor depending on the stone and the other qualitities...i have slight fluor in my stone now and who knows if it makes a real difference but i like the thought. it''s great for lower colored stones.

1forum

Rough_Rock
more opinions

1forum

Rough_Rock
(considering the crown and pavilion aren''t perfect) if i see a diamond i like and want and is gorgeous to the naked eye then should i purchase it?....does crown and pavilion make it sparkle?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The crown and pavilion angles may be just fine. Do you have the GIA certificate number? If so, you can enter it and the carat weight at GIA's report check webpage to get rounded c/p numbers.

Here is a link showing how dramatically the crown and pavilion angles can influence the diamond's appearance:
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/60.asp

The short answer? C/P numbers are key to light return, which is key to sparkle.

1forum

Rough_Rock
cool...thanks john, i appreciate you answering my question.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Glad to help. I have the report check link handy in case you did want to see the data: http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

If you're actually seeing the diamond that trumps the numbers any day of the week. Be sure to look at it away from jewelry store spotlighting and compare it to diamonds that have the pedigree you're looking for.

1forum

Rough_Rock
is there a difference with jewelery store lighting?...pedigree?? im confused by your last reply....i''m sorry, im new to this

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 12:13:21 AM
Author: 1forum
is there a difference with jewelery store lighting?...pedigree?? im confused by your last reply....i''m sorry, im new to this
Jewelry store lighting is strong and can sometimes mask issues with a diamonds light return and thus might hide a poorly cut diamond until you take the poorly cut diamond out into "regular" lights so make sure what looks good under their lights really does look good when you take it away from those lights.

As far as pedigree, I believe John means that you should compare the diamond that looks good to you but doesn''t have the perfect numbers to a diamond with a great set of numbers and/or an AGS0 light return or some other performance analysis. Once you compare your diamond choice against a diamond with a known "pedigree" you can be sure your eyes are seeing and likely your diamond. Hope I made that clear enough to understand. John, please correct me if I am wrong.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 12:56:06 AM
Author: hikerchick

Date: 4/21/2007 12:13:21 AM
Author: 1forum
is there a difference with jewelery store lighting?...pedigree?? im confused by your last reply....i'm sorry, im new to this
Jewelry store lighting is strong and can sometimes mask issues with a diamonds light return and thus might hide a poorly cut diamond until you take the poorly cut diamond out into 'regular' lights so make sure what looks good under their lights really does look good when you take it away from those lights.

As far as pedigree, I believe John means that you should compare the diamond that looks good to you but doesn't have the perfect numbers to a diamond with a great set of numbers and/or an AGS0 light return or some other performance analysis. Once you compare your diamond choice against a diamond with a known 'pedigree' you can be sure your eyes are seeing and likely your diamond. Hope I made that clear enough to understand. John, please correct me if I am wrong.
Magnifico. Grazie mille, ragazza hiker.

Jewelry store spotlights are fun because they produce great fire and scintillation, but be sure to view diamonds you're considering in diffuse light, natural daylight and soft/indirect light as well.

1forum

Rough_Rock
wow, interesting, thanks guys.......i gotta admit the H SI2 this one jeweler showed me really sparkled under the store lights....i should''ve taken it outside

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
To truly evaluate the stone, yes crown and pavillion angles are needed. Two diamonds with similar depths and tables can look drastically different depending on their crown/pavillion angles. The most important thing *is* whether you''ve seen it and love it, but it''s always nice to know that the numbers check out and the stone will be a good performer relative to other stones that you maybe haven''t seen. Store lighting is not the best viewing environment for diamonds and you want to make sure you are still going to love it when you get home.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results