shape
carat
color
clarity

Need helping picking 2ct ering. Please help- need to propose STAT.

lysande

Rough_Rock
Dear Pricescope Experts!

I would love some help putting together an engagement ring. I would like to get an MRB with incredible optics, color H or better (though I may be open to I, not sure), clarity -- VS2 or a great SI1, or better, 2ct or above, and with a budget of about $25k (+/- a bit). I also need a setting. I think a classic Tiffany-style solitaire would be safe and beautiful, but maybe side stones would be nice too? Ideally, I'd like to have it come together as soon as possible, so working with the same company for the stone and the setting would be great.

I'm considering going with High Performance Diamonds because I heard their optics can't be beat. But perhaps I can find a similarly brilliant stone elsewhere for a better deal? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

~ Lysande

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HPD and Whiteflash are the 2 "top" vendors in terms of getting the most ideal cut stone possible.

Has your GF commented on her specific preferences in terms of color/style of setting/size, etc? Just so we know whether the parameters came from her? And also to help with the style of the setting?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I would call HP diamonds directly and ask about this one:
Yes, there is a "scary looking" inclusion in it, but HPD does not sell stones that they do not consider "eye clean", so I would ask them to make an IRL video so you can see how it would look at the normal size (Rather than a hugely zoomed in video).

The reason I suggest this one is because it gets you over 2ct and stays in H color, which I think is nice if you are going to use a Tiffany style setting (as you can see the stone from the side). Unless your GF has specifically said she isn't color sensitive, I would try to stick with an H color if possible (rather than going to I or below). I am not color sensitive and therefore would happily have my DF buy me the biggest stone in budget, but I want to be aware that most people prefer "white" diamonds as opposed to stones with visible tint.

If you want a VS2 stone and are ok with I color (or she's said she's not color sensitive), then these are solid choices:

The best part about HPD is you can literally close your eyes and pick a stone in your color/clarity preferences and all will be freaking outstanding.

This is their tiffany style solitaire and I think it's amazing: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/jewelry/jewelry-detail/28/new-york-classic.htm

lysande

Rough_Rock
Lovedogs,

Thank you for replying. We've discussed at length the kind of setting that she would prefer as well as the diamond size (around 2 ct). The non-carat parameters that I've mentioned in my original post are my best guess at an overall "good" diamond in the 25k range. I am no expert however and welcome feedback. :)

Regarding setting- she likes baguettes (need to think about side stones) but I've had a hard time find an elegant baguette execution. She's also open to classic solitaire.

I want to stay somewhat vague as she is a price-scoper (how I learned about this site) but I can pm more specific details if the above info is insufficent.

Best,
~ Lysande

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs,

Thank you for replying. We've discussed at length the kind of setting that she would prefer as well as the diamond size (around 2 ct). The non-carat parameters that I've mentioned in my original post are my best guess at an overall "good" diamond in the 25k range. I am no expert however and welcome feedback. :)

Regarding setting- she likes baguettes (need to think about side stones) but I've had a hard time find an elegant baguette execution. She's also open to classic solitaire.

I want to stay somewhat vague as she is a price-scoper (how I learned about this site) but I can pm more specific details if the above info is insufficent.

Best,
~ Lysande

Sadly there is no PM function :( but I think you cannot possibly go wrong with a classic solitaire. It's timeless.

I might also just call HPD and tell them your budget, her preferences, and ask them for their advice. They are insanely nice and have outstanding customer service.

lysande

Rough_Rock
Lovedogs,

Thank you so much for the information. It's very helpful. Do you have any advice regarding where I could peruse high quality three-stone settings?

~ Lysande

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs,

Thank you so much for the information. It's very helpful. Do you have any advice regarding where I could peruse high quality three-stone settings?

~ Lysande

You can look at the HPD website to see what they have. WF has more setting options, so you could look there as well (and they also sell super ideal diamonds under their "a cut above" line). 3-stones are a bit tricky to get "right" because then you need to worry about 3 stones rather than just 1, and because the proportions come down to personal preference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a classic 3-stone that many people on the forum have and love.

But I would hesitate to buy a 3-stone unless your GF specifically asked for one. I thought I wanted one until I tried them on and realized that *to me* it looked more like an anniversary ring than an engagement ring.

Congratulations! I too would go for the classic solitaire, since you can focus all your budget on the centre stone and make that the star of the show. Your girlfriend could always look at resetting the ring down the line if she likes, but I do agree with lovedogs that a 3-stone ring is something your girlfriend should definitely pick out for herself after seeing it on her hand. Another option is to get a ring enhancer that looks like a 3 stone for her wedding band/to stack with her ring, but that’s a decision she can take at a future point. Best of luck!

Edit: This is what I mean by a ring enhancer (though obviously not this one since the quality looks... questionable to say the least). But a good jeweler can make this for you if you go down the enhancer route.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovedogs,

~ Lysande

HPD makes custom settings so they can make you whatever you want (as long as you know what it is.) They can also make you a free temporary setting while you are deciding. Their temps are great, last a long time, and I believe they might be made of gold (unsure.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results