Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 3

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
54F5F2A2-A495-4665-B97A-87C09C119D94.jpeg 84436D19-70AD-443A-9E4A-E5010F2D54C3.jpeg

Hello all.

I am a 4th year university majoring law in South Korea, and I am married to a wonderful woman who waited 3 years for the wedding ceremony, which is to be held on september of this year.

I have not proposed to her, or does she expect one as she believes I don’t have money. But, to the contrary, I managed to save up about 1,500 USD. I know it isnt much, but as a student, it took a hundred sleepless nights for full time scholarships and doing a lot of translations.

I’ve went to see some diamonds today, and everyone there felt like a scam. They say different stuff everywhere I go. Telling this is better because of this, i think you want that, and all that blah blah blah.

I need some insight into the stones I have seen. I hope to get the best stone for my girl with the money i have. Any opinions or relevant sellers that can ship to korea are welcome.

The stones which made it to my top 3 lost are as follows;

1. 0.51c/ e/ si1/ 3ex: 1,150 USD
2. 0.51c/ e/ vvs1/ 2ex & 1vg cut (inclusion is pinpoint - but not seen the report. Practically flawless): 1,350usd
3. 0.71c/ g/ si2/ 1ex cut & vg: 1,350usd

I will not post a picture of the 2nd one as it is practically flawless. Help a bro out in picking the perfect stone:) tyvm in advance! :)

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you consider buying online? You’ll get a better deal.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
For a diamond, a great cut is most important but we can't tell what the cut is like for any of those with missing info and photos. Of the two certs posted, I prefer the first one since the second one is too deep (while v. good, not ex) but that's just based on very limited info. If you have access to them in person, compare in various lighting and pick the most sparkly one based on your eyes.

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
For a diamond, a great cut is most important but we can't tell what the cut is like for any of those with missing info and photos. Of the two certs posted, I prefer the first one since the second one is too deep (while v. good, not ex) but that's just based on very limited info. If you have access to them in person, compare in various lighting and pick the most sparkly one based on your eyes.

Thank you very much for the info. It gets very confusing. I saw them in person, and took photos. But, because they are from two different shops, it is really hard to compare which is shiner :/. Kinda feels like rocket science for a first timer like me.

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
Tyvm all. I was being a but dumb. First time in this site. It took me some time to figue out, that i have the perfect site to find diamonds :))

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very important decision.
Are you going to buy Wooshin or GIA/HRD/AGS?
Wooshin is reputable ONLY in S.Korea and 20~25% cheaper.
GIA is more internationally recognized. Even in S.Korea, GIA>Wooshin.

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
A very important decision.
Are you going to buy Wooshin or GIA/HRD/AGS?
Wooshin is reputable ONLY in S.Korea and 20~25% cheaper.
GIA is more internationally recognized. Even in S.Korea, GIA>Wooshin.

Er. If ill be buying it in korea most probably wooshin. In the internet, gia.

Im not buying it as a investment, but rather as a promise. I hope that the day when we would have sell it doesnt come, but if we do have to sell it, it would be to a dealer in s. Korea. Idk why but they cut down a larger portion of gia than woojin prices.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Bluenile ship to South Korea? To the PSers, Do any of the other PS vendors ship to South Korea?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just in case one of the PS vendors will ship to S Korea, what is the import tax and any fee or duties that you liable for? Is it different for set and loose diamonds? If the fees are lower for loose diamonds, do you have a jeweller there that you'd trust to set it for you? What are you looking for in a setting?

That'll help us work backwards to find out what your actual diamond and setting budget are.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe IDJ would since they are a family shop.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not surprising that BN and JA don't bother with Korean customers. Here is why.
Duty is 8% and sales tax is 10%. 18% is not bad, for the first $2000.
For any amount that exceed $2000, there is 20% special sale tax, and additional 30% education tax based on special sale tax.
So, for a typical $5000 1.0c I VS2, there will be $400 duty (8%), $680 special sales tax (20% of original price+duty), $204 education tax (30% of special sales tax), and $628 sales tax (10% original price+duty+special sales tax+education tax combined).
The total duty and tax is $1910 or 38.2%. Nobody is going to order anything that exceeds $2000. BN and JA would lose money on nearly everything they sell because of free international shipping.
American or European vendors cannot reach Korean customers. Therefore, not many are aware of GIA with the exception of a few who are into luxury shopping. Therefore, a shitty lab like Wooshin dominates.

Now, this tax rate does not apply to the OP since his budge isunder $1500 USD

IDJ is not a good option either. International shipping will be $120~$200, which is significant for a $1500 stone.

The only recommendation I have is Whiteflash, based on their amazing service and management, the fact that they states they ship to Korea, and free international shipping. I don't know how important 0.50c is to the OP and her GF, but this is a very good quality stone at a reasonable price
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3189835.htm

If you decide to go with Wooshin, use the following numbers
Table 54-58, Depth less than 62.3%, Crown 34-35, Pavilion 43% (maybe 42.5% or 43.5%)

The first stone's 44% is too high.
The second stone is better. Depth is a bit high, but ok. But I do not like CLOUD inclusion in SI2. Make sure it is not milky, cloudy or hazy.

everyone there felt like a scam
Yeap. The entire diamond industry in S.Korea is a scam.
Here is Bluenile by SSG, a Korean department store who has a partnership with BN.
http://shinsegaemall.ssg.com/special/bluenile/main.ssg
You cannot even set your table and depth. No GIA number or report is given. They have no interest in educating general public. Not a single vendor cares. They are like the mafia.

Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
damn @flyingpig that's an impressive response. How do you know so much about Korean Dia market?

I suppose the OP could just buy an eye-clean sparkly diamond he can afford if the public isn't so clued about diamond performance?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
damn @flyingpig that's an impressive response. How do you know so much about Korean Dia market?

I suppose the OP could just buy an eye-clean sparkly diamond he can afford if the public isn't so clued about diamond performance?
Having all that said, I recommend the OP to shop locally. The funny thing is that Wooshin has more resale value than GIA. This is partially because in order to resell you need to regrade the stone. With Wooshin, it is 50 dollar for a 1.0c. With GIA, it is $100 and shipping back and forth (and potential headache with the custom). People do not really care about the cut quality. Very Good and Good cuts are acceptable. They like high color. Notice BN Korea does not even offer I color diamonds. It is the best to get the largest and most pleasing looking stone possible. Nobody will recognize AGS and ideal performance.

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
Having all that said, I recommend the OP to shop locally. The funny thing is that Wooshin has more resale value than GIA. This is partially because in order to resell you need to regrade the stone. With Wooshin, it is 50 dollar for a 1.0c. With GIA, it is $100 and shipping back and forth (and potential headache with the custom). People do not really care about the cut quality. Very Good and Good cuts are acceptable. They like high color. Notice BN Korea does not even offer I color diamonds. It is the best to get the largest and most pleasing looking stone possible. Nobody will recognize AGS and ideal performance.

Wow! The information provide are “diamonds”. I’ve forgetten that my old boss has a close friend who runs a jewelry store. As we are in really good terms, Ive sent him a message today. I’ve got in contact with the jeweler and he offered me a 0.6c/ d/ vvs1/ 3ex for 1,500 USD. He told me that this is his best diamond at he can offer with my price range, and is of the highest quality in the 0.6c range.

I’ll be visiting him next week to see the diamond myself, and would follow your instructions. He is selling below the actual prices for a 0.6c, so i believe i must be keen with the selection. I could never know if it is by good faith or another scam :)

If all fails, the diamods you posted are elegant. By far the best i have seen in the past few days :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would buying from Singapore offer any breaks? JannPaul is a good vendor that will provide ASET and other details.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! The information provide are “diamonds”. I’ve forgetten that my old boss has a close friend who runs a jewelry store. As we are in really good terms, Ive sent him a message today. I’ve got in contact with the jeweler and he offered me a 0.6c/ d/ vvs1/ 3ex for 1,500 USD. He told me that this is his best diamond at he can offer with my price range, and is of the highest quality in the 0.6c range.

I’ll be visiting him next week to see the diamond myself, and would follow your instructions. He is selling below the actual prices for a 0.6c, so i believe i must be keen with the selection. I could never know if it is by good faith or another scam :)

If all fails, the diamods you posted are elegant. By far the best i have seen in the past few days :)
Yea. Come back and post the report. At least, we can review the report and see all angles and %s make sense.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Robert,
How touching that you'd save up money to buy her a ring under your current circumstances!

I'd definitely steer away from internally flawless...I've always thought it was sort of a scam for a jeweler to say something along the lines of "you love her so much, don't you want to buy her a flawless stone that symbolizes your love?"
There are so many beautiful, eye-clean diamonds that won't seem any different than a flawless stone to the naked eye.
I'd stick to VS2-SI1 range and not go anything above a G unless she's very color sensitive.
Since you are purchasing a stone that isn't huge, the color will show up whiter anyway.
Cut is king, as anyone on here will tell you. Believe it! I went from a 1.5 carat GIA triple ex to an AGS ideal cut 1.3 stone and it looks bigger!

If you're worried about duty etc, have you considered purchasing from a private seller on here? Loupetroop has a lot of stones available that are nice quality, most hand picked by us to begin with, and since its shipped privately, I'm assuming it'll save you on taxes and fees?

Either way, good luck!

Here are some options I found on Loupetroop. They are mounted but a setting is easily changed by a decent jeweler (and you can save some money by reselling on ebay to get some of your money back) All are really greatly priced, even with the mounting. I wish I would've read your post earlier...I just sold a beautiful .85 diamond for peanuts. Here they are and good luck!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...mond-in-platinum-baguette-mount-size-5-dot-25

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...rb-center-diamond-with-35-carat-setting-18kwg

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...platinum-diamond-ring-size-5-dot-5-semi-bezel

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
C6D2FC7D-8EE4-47DD-ABB6-03BF809EC5B1.jpeg 03954E9E-222C-499E-8074-840AE7148742.jpeg
Yea. Come back and post the report. At least, we can review the report and see all angles and %s make sense.
I’ve asked the jewler for the report, and have checked it. The resolution is bad so im not sure if you can make out of it. Imo, it is by far the most highly priced and worst diamond i have seen.
C45DDF44-FEB6-41EE-A12A-DA0C01BE6312.jpeg

All the vectors are below average, and the only thing good about it is the clarity. But due to the cut, i think it is way over priced.

May i know your opinion on this?

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
Hi Robert,
How touching that you'd save up money to buy her a ring under your current circumstances!

I'd definitely steer away from internally flawless...I've always thought it was sort of a scam for a jeweler to say something along the lines of "you love her so much, don't you want to buy her a flawless stone that symbolizes your love?"
There are so many beautiful, eye-clean diamonds that won't seem any different than a flawless stone to the naked eye.
I'd stick to VS2-SI1 range and not go anything above a G unless she's very color sensitive.
Since you are purchasing a stone that isn't huge, the color will show up whiter anyway.
Cut is king, as anyone on here will tell you. Believe it! I went from a 1.5 carat GIA triple ex to an AGS ideal cut 1.3 stone and it looks bigger!

If you're worried about duty etc, have you considered purchasing from a private seller on here? Loupetroop has a lot of stones available that are nice quality, most hand picked by us to begin with, and since its shipped privately, I'm assuming it'll save you on taxes and fees?

Either way, good luck!

Here are some options I found on Loupetroop. They are mounted but a setting is easily changed by a decent jeweler (and you can save some money by reselling on ebay to get some of your money back) All are really greatly priced, even with the mounting. I wish I would've read your post earlier...I just sold a beautiful .85 diamond for peanuts. Here they are and good luck!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...mond-in-platinum-baguette-mount-size-5-dot-25

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...rb-center-diamond-with-35-carat-setting-18kwg

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...platinum-diamond-ring-size-5-dot-5-semi-bezel

The diamonds you have reccomened are very nice and very good in price. But, as i value the safety of the transaction a bit more, i am unfortunately, not willing to deal with a private person without testing if it is a legitimate diamond. Thank you very much for the reccomendation, but due to the geological differences, it would not be an option which i would be considering.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I've corrected read the numbers below, this is not a diamond you should consider. All the numbers are well outside the ideal parameters.

Stay within these parameters: Table 55-58, Depth 60-62.3%, Crown 34-35 degrees, Pavilion 42.5-43.5% (never above 44%; 40.6-40.9 degrees). Polish & Symmetry & Cut = Excellent/

Diamond Above
Table: 63%
Depth: 59.5%
Crown Angle: 32
Pavillion Depth: 45%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
If I've corrected read the numbers below, this is not a diamond you should consider. All the numbers are well outside the ideal parameters.

Stay within these parameters: Table 55-58, Depth 60-62.3%, Crown 34-35 degrees, Pavilion 42.5-43.5% (never above 44%; 40.6-40.9 degrees). Polish & Symmetry & Cut = Excellent/

Diamond Above
Table: 63%
Depth: 59.5%
Crown Angle: 32
Pavillion Depth: 45%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G

I agree. If my time pricescope has taught me something, it would be 1) how to determine a good diamond and 2) never deal with korean jewelers.

MegWeddingIdeas

Rough_Rock
Trade
54F5F2A2-A495-4665-B97A-87C09C119D94.jpeg 84436D19-70AD-443A-9E4A-E5010F2D54C3.jpeg

Hello all.

I am a 4th year university majoring law in South Korea, and I am married to a wonderful woman who waited 3 years for the wedding ceremony, which is to be held on september of this year.

I have not proposed to her, or does she expect one as she believes I don’t have money. But, to the contrary, I managed to save up about 1,500 USD. I know it isnt much, but as a student, it took a hundred sleepless nights for full time scholarships and doing a lot of translations.

I’ve went to see some diamonds today, and everyone there felt like a scam. They say different stuff everywhere I go. Telling this is better because of this, i think you want that, and all that blah blah blah.

I need some insight into the stones I have seen. I hope to get the best stone for my girl with the money i have. Any opinions or relevant sellers that can ship to korea are welcome.

The stones which made it to my top 3 lost are as follows;

1. 0.51c/ e/ si1/ 3ex: 1,150 USD
2. 0.51c/ e/ vvs1/ 2ex & 1vg cut (inclusion is pinpoint - but not seen the report. Practically flawless): 1,350usd
3. 0.71c/ g/ si2/ 1ex cut & vg: 1,350usd

I will not post a picture of the 2nd one as it is practically flawless. Help a bro out in picking the perfect stone:) tyvm in advance! :)

Hey, hope it isn't too late, but I would definitely go with either #1 or #3, the second one is too clean
IMO, it is set in a jewelry piece and would not be noticed just as the SI1 or SI2, as for option number
3, you have to make sure that the inclusion is not black and is not on the center of the diamond!

Robert baek

Rough_Rock
Hey, hope it isn't too late, but I would definitely go with either #1 or #3, the second one is too clean
IMO, it is set in a jewelry piece and would not be noticed just as the SI1 or SI2, as for option number
3, you have to make sure that the inclusion is not black and is not on the center of the diamond!
Thank you :) I am also looking at some diamonds from brian gavin atm. They have really good diamonds. Hope they can ship to Korea.

MegWeddingIdeas

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you :) I am also looking at some diamonds from brian gavin atm. They have really good diamonds. Hope they can ship to Korea.

I always recommend www.BravermanJewelry.com , they have sold to dozens of people around me and the good thing is that they have a live rep who is a diamond expert that can walk you through the process!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results