shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with my newly purchased rubellie

LC2016

Rough_Rock
Hi all l'm kind of new in gem buying and this is the second time i bought a rubellite. The stone got good color under light but Im not too sure if it is considered too dark under dim/normal. Can I get some help examining this gem, i want to know if I had made a right choice. Thanks!!!!!

IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How accurate is the colour, because it doesn't look red, purple, nor even pink on my monitor.

LC2016

Rough_Rock
I have previously took a photo under white light. I'll try to get a day light photo tmr.

IMG_9674.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider it to be pretty dark considering you need some serious bright lights to even see facets. However its up to you if you like stones that dark or not. Were you planning on keeping/setting this stone?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on entering the world of colored gemstone buying. Warning- it is addicting. Here is a picture of what IMHO is a phenomenal color rubellite that belongs to our own Acimon. The color is outstanding. The rubellite you posted is much darker in tone and saturation. There is nothing wrong with liking darker or more saturated stones, but the price should be much lower than a similar rubellite with a more preferred color and it should be that you love the stone. Hope that helps.

LC2016

Rough_Rock
Hmm I just checked the photo again on my computer, the color seems way off from what i see on my iphone. The actual color should look more purple pink. I'll try to take the photo on a proper camera later on. Meanwhile, I would like to ask given the high color saturation of my stone, would it be better to set it or keep it as loosestone?

Thanks alot for your help!

Congrats on entering the world of colored gemstone buying. Warning- it is addicting. Here is a picture of what IMHO is a phenomenal color rubellite that belongs to our own Acimon. The color is outstanding. The rubellite you posted is much darker in tone and saturation. There is nothing wrong with liking darker or more saturated stones, but the price should be much lower than a similar rubellite with a more preferred color and it should be that you love the stone. Hope that helps.

WOW! That looks like a living thing. Almost spooky, no?

LC2016

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have retook my rubellite with a proper camera under normal room light
IMG_1299.JPG

Another photo with low light
View attachment 503941

I have looked around abit and figure the reason my stone look abit dark under dim light may most probably due to the poor cutting that there is a big window at the bottom. Should I recut my gem to enhance its brilliance?

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is entirely up to you. Most of us would describe that as a tourmaline, but not a rubellite.

ETA: the term rubellite is reserved for the brightest, most saturated and most purplish red stones (in other words, ruby-like). No brown should be seen and should not be dark in tone. I'm attaching one I used to own - definitely not the best one out there, but an example of what one looks like.

Rubellite Example.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results