shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with insurance, both home and jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
So living in FL is wonderful in general, great weather, great people, etc. Getting home insurance is so difficult though (well, what I mean is getting affordable insurance is difficult). So currently, my home insurance company (vanguard) just went bankrupted, and I need to find a new one ASAP (coverage ends 4/25/07). Plus I need to find insurance for my jewelry now. Any good suggestions for FL?

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Here in Australia, if you take out home, contents and car insurance with the same insurance company, then you can get a good discount - so if you have car insurance, see if they can get you a discount on home insurance.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like State Farm. I am sorry, but I don''t live in FL. State Farm has been very good.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I had been with State Farm since I got my learner''s permit at age 15. I recently bought a house and obtained a variety of bids. I learned that State Farm wasn''t the most expensive, but it wasn''t the cheapest. A colleague suggested Amica Insurance to me. I''d never heard of Amica, but I trusted his opinion and he''d been with the company for 20 years and filed auto, homeowner''s, and jewelry claims. I live in Delaware and my jewelry rider amounts to only one half of 1% of the insured value for my annual premium. If you have a high amount of jewelry scheduled, you''d be amazed at what a difference each percentage point makes!

I have my home, car, jewelry, and umbrella policy with Amica now. I''m saving over $600 dollars per year now. My fiancee is a member of USAA (the insurance for military families). Those rates weren''t too bad, and USAA has a good reputation. I looked into a jewelry-only policy and it was almost 2 1/2 times the cost of a rider on my homeowner''s.

I hope this helps!

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone for suggesting state farm, unfortuately, state farm does not write home insurance for FL ( probably due to hurricanes). Any other suggestions?

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
bump....any other suggestions?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Where in FL are you?

I am in FL, and getting insurance here is difficult.

Different companies look for different things here.

Some companies offer limited coverage based on your location and whether your house has storm shuitters etc.

One company that is good requires a minimum value of the house at 750K.

Others write coverage on west of 95, and other only east but without flood and wind damage.

Fill in some of the particulars and I''ll see if I can suggest someone to help you

Rockdoc

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, I have a friend with a home in florida. it turns out that not very many places will insure you if your home is by water. In fact you get insurance through the state w/Citizens insurance. He also said I guess it is difficult to get a policy during hurricane season. That is all. Best wish for you finding it.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi Rockdoc,
Thanks for responding! I live in Gainesville and own a condo. So far, insurance is super hard to get without forking over 1200/yr for it. Let''s not even talk about jewlry insurance. Some insurance company want an additional 300 bucks to insure my 0.82ct engagement ring. This task has definitely been harder than I thought. I appreciate any help you can suggest/offer.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi Skippygirl,
I did call an agent for citizens insurance...they want 1200 for just my condo and I didn''t even dare to ask about my jewlry. Thanks for asking your friend for me though!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Lei Lei

I''d be hesitant to use Citizens''s as I believe a lot of people still have claim issues with them from two years ago..... still have the blue tarps on their roofs etc.

I did call an agent to see if he can write insurance in FL. He does have the ability depending on area etc. to potentially place your coverage, and offer you what is probably a more competitive rate for your jewelry coverages.

You can contact : Ralph Cohen - 1-866-725-1999 - He is in Chicago but is licensed here.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results