shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with good-quality long strand of cultured pearls.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
This is a third-hand search. I helped the husband of a friend find her a nice emerald ring. (Colored stones I learned about on Pricescope.) Now she would like me to help him find a long strand of pearls, not Elizabeth Taylor quality but not dime store quality either, for a major birthday. I have never bought anything beyond a nice strand of graduated cultured pearls to wear with cashmere. He trusts my judgment and is not poor, but not extravagant. But on this I don't know where to start! Definitely white, not exotic colors; maybe 48 inches up to 100 inches and well matched. What's the equivalent of Pearlman's for pearls? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow !.
A rope :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

don't worry our pearl princesses will be a long shortly to help you help your freind to shop

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is he happy to buy online? What size of pearl do you think they’d be looking for? He will likely have to get the vendor to make something custom for him, I don’t often see rope lengths advertised as standard.

If it were me, I’d head for Pearl Paradise and ask about a Freshadama rope, maybe 7mm pearls? These are freshwater pearls but top quality, round and with good lustre. He could also consider AAA akoya as these will be lighter weight.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, he bought her the emerald online and would trust my judgment (that is, he would trust my advisers!) on a reliable online dealer. I think 6,5 to 7 mm would work, especially if the rope is long enough to wrap twice around the neck. Not sure about the freshwater/akoya choice. Depends on the price, I think. Saw some nice freshwaters on 1stdibs but the price seemed pretty high. Here they are: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/nec...ir-cultured-pearl-long-necklace/id-j_9205142/

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking around the usual suspects ...

Pearls of Joy has a 52" Freshwater AAA 6.5-7mm Pearl Rope listed for $688.99 - note the clasp in the photo is an upgraded clasp - if you/they decide on larger pearls, POJ has similar ropes in 7.5-8mm and 8.5-9mm
https://www.pearlsofjoy.com/collect...r-pearl-rope-6-5-7-0mm?variant=12727399022653

1617030606062.png

Pearl Paradise has a 52-inch FW rope with 7.5-8mm AAA pearls listed for $690 - if you/they prefer smaller pearls, you'd have togo custom I guess - also available with larger pearls
https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...er-pearl-necklace?_pos=3&_sid=c32a8db43&_ss=r

1617031016335.png

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you want them especially well matched (Everyone has a different tolerance for matching), this length of pearls is something that you'd have to have custom assembled, especially in that type of mm size.

If this is more of a fashion piece (as in, it'll be "beat up a little" -- tied in a knot, rubbed against each other), then freshwater may well be the choice for durability and cost consideration.

If this is meant to be a more fine piece (worn often but not going to be tied together, twisted, etc. as often), and budget allows for perfectly round pearls, Akoya are an excellent choice.

There are a lot of different shades of "white" -- if you are OK with a creamy, vanilla type white, this could be a slightly cheaper option with any type of pearl. If having a bright, white-pink tone is important, this will be more expensive (but be sure to specify whether you are OK with any cream tone).

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
So many nice-looking pearls, so many sensible things to consider! You people are every bit as terrific as the colored-stone mavens.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Has the recipient specifically asked for an extra-long rope style? 48" is a lot of pearls to begin with, and up to 100", you really have to kind of want that specifically (in my experience for folks who have asked in the past).

My first suggestion, much like those who ask about heart shaped diamonds in RT, is if the recipient has not specifically asked for this mm size and length of necklace, to do some investigating there first.

If they have indeed asked for those specs, by all means... :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My 2cents - The longer the necklace the more size matters. Pearls get heavy and if they are wrapped around 3 times then the larger pearls become quite bulky around the neck.

If 100" then I'd stick with smaller pearl 6.5-7.5 ish. The problem with that length is - you can really only wrap them - doubled would still be quite long.

I'd personally go for a strand that can be worn as a rope and double to a shorter necklace.
So anywhere from 36' to 42' depending on body shape, neck size etc. If you do this length you get two looks. It takes from 2 strands to 2.5 strands. But the size can be up to 10mm very comfortably.

Freshwater are the most reasonable option - for price and you also get various colours if you want.
Akoya have a very high lustre but you will pay dearly for the larger sizes.
White South Sea are the Queen of Pearls and you'll pay accordingly if you want smooth round ones.

So your friend needs to 1. Consider his budget - always buy the best you can afford.
2. Consider the practical side - what style will be worn more often and have the best 'value for wear'
3. The length and size of the pearls - What is going to suit her height - this ties in with #2

If you have the time and want Freshwater - Someone like Pearl Paradise can put together some matching strands of high quality pearls and produce whatever length you want.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, he bought her the emerald online and would trust my judgment (that is, he would trust my advisers!) on a reliable online dealer. I think 6,5 to 7 mm would work, especially if the rope is long enough to wrap twice around the neck. Not sure about the freshwater/akoya choice. Depends on the price, I think. Saw some nice freshwaters on 1stdibs but the price seemed pretty high. Here they are: https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/nec...ir-cultured-pearl-long-necklace/id-j_9205142/

That is way overpriced, in my opinion!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results