shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with finding a diamond

Jon_Wu

Rough_Rock
I been looking online for a loose diamond for an engagement ring and wanted to get advice on finding the best quality stone for my budget.

I saw this online but wasn't sure if it's a good buy.

Hoping to find a round diamond that is:
Excellent or Ideal Cut
Around 2 Carets
H Color or Above
Eye Clean Clarity

I don't want to spend more than around 16K for the stone.

I am not even sure if the specs I listed are the right ones to have so any help will be appreciated.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I been looking online for a loose diamond for an engagement ring and wanted to get advice on finding the best quality stone for my budget.

I saw this online but wasn't sure if it's a good buy.

Hoping to find a round diamond that is:
Excellent or Ideal Cut
Around 2 Carets
H Color or Above
Eye Clean Clarity

I don't want to spend more than around 16K for the stone.

I am not even sure if the specs I listed are the right ones to have so any help will be appreciated.
James Allen recently removed the grading reports from their website, in order to create more customer interaction and (apparently) increase sales, but it makes it a total hassle to search for stones on there now :|

I don't have time right now to check but have a look at Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds and High Performance Diamonds to see if there are any 'SuperIdeals' that might suit your requirements!

You can also use the diamond search bar at the top of the forum - put in your basic requirements, then when the results pop up, open the Filters section and select GIA XXX and AGS 000, then select HCA scores of 'Excellent' only, and that will pull out stones that are most likely to perform well out of the vast numbers of stones on the database :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a IGI graded stone, so most likely it'll not equal to a GIA nor a AGS graded stone in color/clarity.

Jon_Wu

Rough_Rock
@ Dancing Fire Should I be only looking for the ones with GIA or AGS grading?

@OoohShiny I'll take a look at those websites. Any thoughts on what criteria I can lower is the searches are above my budget?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can go with eye-clean SI1. If you were willing to do an IGI H you could probably do a GIA "I" but you really need to go look at
well-cut stones to see how your eye interprets color.

Edit...I checked JA and BN and it looks like you'll have to go down to an "I" to get 2 carats. Unfortunately, nothing jumped out at me from BN and
since JA doesnt have their lab reports posted its too difficult to recommend.

If you want to go Super Ideal Branded this says its eye-clean

I check BGD but looks like they dont have any in your size range (looked for 1.8+).

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 Is it worth it to go down on color to get the A cut above stones?

In my opinion, yes. ACAs are AGS000 graded stones with Ideal Light Performance, Symmetry and Polish. However, I wish you could
see some well cut "I" stones so you can decide for yourself. I own two J colored Super Ideal Branded stones. I cant really see any color
in the small one (.46) but can see color in the bigger one (1.14) but like I said, its a J. I have a friend that has a large "I" ACA and
it looks very white to me*.

The stone you linked is also an H&A.

The other nice thing about ACAs is if you decide in the future you want to upgrade (size, color, or whatever) you can trade up by just spending
more than what your original stone cost (some places want you to spend 2X your original stone cost).

Jon_Wu

Rough_Rock
I probably wouldn't be able to figure out if someone is showing me a well cut stone or not if I just walk into a store...

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I probably wouldn't be able to figure out if someone is showing me a well cut stone or not if I just walk into a store...

Hi Jon_Wu,

That may or may not be true… The best way to figure it out would be to compare them side by side. I’ve found that as diamond sizes scale larger, the difference in cut quality becomes more apparent. It might be difficult to tell on a 0.3ct diamond but I think it would be pretty easy to tell with larger stones. The size and quantity of “visual events” or flashes also become bigger and are more easily picked up with the naked eye. The areas of brightness and contrast also scales larger.

Jewelry stores have special lighting to make all their products look bright and fiery so if at all possible, try to compare stones in outdoor light, preferably diffused lighting (think a cloudy day).

Good luck!

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I don't know how much you care about color but for what it's worth that's a very poor H...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jon_Wu

Rough_Rock
I am curious to know between these three diamonds, which would be your top pick?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My priorities and sensitivity to colour and clarity are not your priorities and sensitivity to colour and clarity ;-) so it will ultimately be up to you!

Being an ACA, the SI1 should not have any issues re: being eye-clean at normal viewing distances, but you can ask WF to confirm from what distance the inclusions are visible.

If you are happy with what they report back, you will have to decide whether size or slightly more eye-clean (mind-clean?) is more important to you :)

Jon_Wu

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I think I am good with the color and I did review the video they sent me of the three stones. For each stone there's one inclusion that can be seen at around 6 inches knowing where to look. I guess just nervous about making a major purchase especially knowing about the defects which others will probably not notice.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put a ruler on your nose. See how clearly you can read the numbers at 6 inches. Now, Imagine something the size of a pencil eraser at the 6” mark. Place a period (.) somewhere on the imaginary eraser at the 6” mark.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results