shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with diamond stud earring and pendant proportions

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I purchased my 0.91 ct diamond solitaire pendant from Whiteflash in 2008. I have finally decided to splurge on diamond stud earrings. I am trying to figure out a pleasing proportion for earrings and pendant. I think the pendant diamond should be at least a little bit larger than each earring diamond, but I am not sure by how much.

I first tried on 1.0 and 1.5 tcw studs at Tiffany. I thought 0.5 ct in each ear looked a little small, and .75 ct looked really big, so my initial thought was something around 1.2 tcw. Then I tried on more pairs in more stores and the .75 ct diamonds didn’t look so huge on my ears anymore. (DSS happens fast, lol!) I love the look of at least 0.80 ct (6 mm) in each ear. Of course, 0.90 ct (6.2-6.3 mm) in each ear looks really great too, but I don’t want the stones to be all the same size (I think).

I even had the completely insane thought of finding a match to my current 0.91 ct pendant stone to make earrings, and later buying a larger diamond to replace the pendant. It seems a bit crazy to spend that much (at least $5-6K more than just buying two 0.80 stones). Also, how large would I need to go with the pendant if I have 0.9 ct (6.3 mm) in each ear? Would something in the 6.7-6.8 mm range be enough larger to be a noticeable difference?

I appreciate any advice because I am driving myself nuts.

For reference, here is the info on my pendant.

Carat Weight: 0.91
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI2 (eye clean)
Measurements: 6.28 - 6.30 x 3.82 mm
GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 60.7 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
HCA score: 0.9, within the TIC range, EX/EX/EX/VG

my_pendant_0.jpg

pendant_by_wf.jpg

pendant_18.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need help with diamond stud earring and pendant proporti

I think that you should also take into consideration how big your lobes are and where the location of your piercings are. What could help is to take some ear shots with any existing studs you have, and then figure out how much MORE ear lobe coverage you'd like, mm-wise, and then work from mm back to carats.

Kay

Ideal_Rock

PintoBean|1464047957|4035463 said:
I think that you should also take into consideration how big your lobes are and where the location of your piercings are. What could help is to take some ear shots with any existing studs you have, and then figure out how much MORE ear lobe coverage you'd like, mm-wise, and then work from mm back to carats.

The only studs I own are 5 mm, and they are too small. I tried on a pair that was 6.4 mm, and those were too large -- not enough lobe showing below. I really liked the way both 6 mm and 6.2 mm looked on my ears. I think I would be good with 6.3 mm, but that would be my max. I liked the first .75 ct stones I tried at Tiffany, but do not know the mm size.

Q

Queenie60

I have studs that are .91 and .93, tcw of 1.84 which is a nice size on my ears. I have a pendant that is 1carat, bezel set and they seem to be well proportioned. Hope you find what you're looking for.! :wavey:

Kay

Ideal_Rock

Queenie, I would love to see a picture of your earrings and pendant together.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer the pendant to be any amount larger than the studs. So I think .80 ct (6mm) each would be perfect for the studs with a .9 pendant! Now the idea of getting a match for the pendant and making earrings is a great idea as long as the measurements of the second stone are close to the current diamond. Then a 1 ct+ pendant would be needed. I like that idea if you can swing it, because it then might be a forever set. But it would cost a LOT more money to do that, too!

Kay

Ideal_Rock

I do like the idea of a forever set. I would have to pay to have the platinum pendant head re-worked or replaced for a larger stone, but it would cost less to do it now than have to upgrade both earring and pendant settings later.

If I am going to pay for a larger pendant diamond, I want it to be noticeably larger than what I have now. I tried on 2 pendants next to mine at a local store. The 1.2 ct (supposedly H&A) looked about the same size as my current 0.91 stone, while a 1.32 ct pendant looked a lot larger. Unfortunately, they did not have mm sizes listed for the pendants.

If I go with a larger pendant, I would probably have to drop to G/H/I color range due to cost. I hope that would look okay with F earrings and my D engagement ring.

I have to decide if the pendant will get enough wear to justify the substantial upgrade cost. I wore it a lot when I first got it, because it goes with everything. Then I wore it almost every day for over a year while we were doing a whole house remodel and most of my jewelry was in a bank vault. After that, I was a bit tired of it. I fell in love with Tahitian and South Sea pearls 2 years ago, so I have been wearing pearl strands with most of my work suits. I recently began wearing the pendant again with some tops and dresses that need a clean, simple neckpiece. Every time I wear it now, I end up staring in the mirror wondering if I would like it more if it were larger, or if I should keep it more understated for casual wear. I am turning 45 next year, so it would be a heck of a B-day present, lol. :naughty:

Kay

Ideal_Rock

If I decide to find a match for my current pendant stone to make earrings, I think I would be okay with either E or F color because the appraiser said my F is a “high F” that is close to E. I want blue fluorescence so they both have that slightly blue glow in sunlight.

I think this stone might be close enough in measurements and color. (I will request IS images and confirmation it is eye clean if people think it is a good potential match.) What do you think?

Contender:

0.90 ct; E; SI2
Medium Blue Fluorescence
6.27 x 6.25 x 3.77
Depth: 60.2 %
Table: 58 %
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Girdle: Medium-Slightly Thick, Faceted
GIA cut grade: Excellent
Polish & Symmetry: Excellent
HCA score: 0.9, within the TIC range, EX/EX/EX/EX

My stone:

0.91 ct; F; SI2
Medium Blue Fluorescence
6.28 x 6.30 x 3.82
Depth: 60.7 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
GIA cut grade: Excellent
Polish & Symmetry: Very Good
HCA score: 0.9, within the TIC range, EX/EX/EX/VG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think your contender is an acceptable choice for a matching stud as long as you can see it and return it if you don't like it. Later when I have time, I'll see if I have some good diamond size pictures for you. I think I have some that will help you see what size pendant would work. I'd probably go for a really great cut and good specs on the new pendant (and yes, they'll need to replace that setting). I think it's a good decision to use this diamond for studs.

Kay

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Diamondseeker. I would appreciate any photos you can post.

I will only order from WF or another vendor with a good return policy. I assume I should have them send the diamond to me loose first to check it out, then I would send the loose diamond and my pendant back to the vendor to have the diamonds set in earrings.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

I just wanted to say is possible the TCO looked larger due to them being a better cut than the other ones, not so much DSS but it looks like you've already narrowed down what mm size you want which is great. Most important to matching studs is table size should be the same or very very close, and the face up mm should be the same or very very close.

I think the measurements on the contender are too far apart. I didn't consider depth as that doesn't really matter, just the face up mm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results