shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with an emerald cut diamond..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wildstarUD

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''ve been a long time lurker on these forums, and I just joined. I''m looking for a diamond for my girlfriend and I currently have a deposit to hold a Radiant cut with a jeweler in Philadelphia right now. The jeweler is having trouble coming up with the EGL cert for the diamond so I''ve been forced to start looking elsewhere in case he cannot provide it. My girlfriend has expressed interest in the emerald cut as well as the radiant. She understands that it is not as brillant or flashy as a radiant cut and we both agree it looks very classy. Here''s the deal: I''m currently looking at this emerald cut diamond:

cw: 1.55ct
cert: EGL
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
measure: 7.24-6.12 X 4.10 mm (1.18/1 ratio)
total depth: 67%
table width: 73%
crown height: 8%
pavil depth: 56%
gird thick: medium, polished
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
cutlet: none
graining: nil
fluore: none

What do you guys think of this diamond? (I know its just numbers and thats not the only factor). What would you expect to pay for this diamond? I know that the table width is a little on the high side. Is the total dept too high? Or the pavillion depth? Thanks for anyone''s reply. I''m very new to this game. This will be the first diamond I''ve every bought (on the larger side) and even though I''ve been researching for quite a while online, anyone''s opinion on here will be greatly appreciated.
35.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!!

Do you have a picture? I've noticed the experts like to see pics when assessing a fancy cut stone like an EC. Also, note that an EGL rating is often more generous than a GIA rating, so the colour may be a shade darker by GIA standards, and the clarity may be a category lower too... this doesn't mean the stone isn't any good (see vesper's post about EGL certed stones, it's just a few posts down the page), it is just something to bear in mind.

ETA: use the pricescope search diamonds function at the top of the page to determine what a stone like this would typically go for.

DD
35.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I would be interested in seeing the stone prior to buying, if I were you. You''ll know more if you can actually look at the diamond as opposed to reading a list of numbers.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/25/2008 2:08:53 PM
Author:wildstarUD
Hi everyone,
I''ve been a long time lurker on these forums, and I just joined. I''m looking for a diamond for my girlfriend and I currently have a deposit to hold a Radiant cut with a jeweler in Philadelphia right now. The jeweler is having trouble coming up with the EGL cert for the diamond so I''ve been forced to start looking elsewhere in case he cannot provide it. My girlfriend has expressed interest in the emerald cut as well as the radiant. She understands that it is not as brillant or flashy as a radiant cut and we both agree it looks very classy. Here''s the deal: I''m currently looking at this emerald cut diamond:

cw: 1.55ct
cert: EGL
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
measure: 7.24-6.12 X 4.10 mm (1.18/1 ratio)
total depth: 67%
table width: 73%
crown height: 8%
pavil depth: 56%
gird thick: medium, polished
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
cutlet: none
graining: nil
fluore: none

What do you guys think of this diamond? (I know its just numbers and thats not the only factor). What would you expect to pay for this diamond? I know that the table width is a little on the high side. Is the total dept too high? Or the pavillion depth? Thanks for anyone''s reply. I''m very new to this game. This will be the first diamond I''ve every bought (on the larger side) and even though I''ve been researching for quite a while online, anyone''s opinion on here will be greatly appreciated.
35.gif
I prefer smaller table..., but that is only my preference!!
If I had to choose..., any EC with a 8% crown height is a no-go for me!

A picture will tell more..., but I wouldn''t need one!
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 5:12:22 PM
Author: DiaGem
I prefer smaller table..., but that is only my preference!!
If I had to choose..., any EC with a 8% crown height is a no-go for me!

A picture will tell more..., but I wouldn''t need one!
20.gif
same here... large table, low crown == blah!

wildstarUD

Rough_Rock
And why exactly is a large table and small crown bad? Is it because the diamond will look more like glass? meaning it will have less fire/sparkle? Thanks! and sorry but I do not have a picture of it yet.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 6:06:12 PM
Author: wildstarUD
And why exactly is a large table and small crown bad? Is it because the diamond will look more like glass? meaning it will have less fire/sparkle? Thanks! and sorry but I do not have a picture of it yet.
yep

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results