shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with a diamond purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ski

Rough_Rock
I posted similar question earlier but did not give enough info. I purchased a diamond from Blue Nile for $3600 with the following specs:

Round Brilliant
6.19x6.24x3.73
.90 carats
Depth - 60.0%
Table - 62%
Girdle - slightly thick to thick, faceted
Culet - none
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very Good
Clarity - SI1
Color - E
Flourescence - med.blue

It is an attractive stone although, I don''t have a better one to compare it to... I just wanted to know if the price is right for the specs. How accurate are the specs on the GIA cert. Is there a big difference in appearance from VS2 to SI1, I''ve been told not is this true. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the stats I see sound good. The stone might not qualify for a H&A (and wether this is so you can check at a gance, really!), and I would not rise my hopes sky high for it's brilliance (ok, not 'sky' high, only close, since the proportions are not bad), but the price surely is competitive - actally a bit less than any ~0.9, E-SI1 around here. I guess the main question about SI1 is "does any inclusion show face up" - and if it does not, not much more should be asked about it. there is no blatant difference between any two clrity grades: surely some stones hover between SI1 and VS2!

As for GIA grades - they are as tight as one can ask for from any of the major labs... None of them (the labs) claims to be unfailible, but GIA's grades will not be contested, and this is the one important thing down the line.

Actually, the med blue fluorescence must have helped with the price - although it will likely never have any impact on the look of the stone. Overall, a smart purchase, I would say.

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
Ran a quick search on PS for a .9 ct E/SI with similar table/depth percentages and the price was from ~$3900-4550. So, IMHO your stone is a good buy if:

1) you're (the key is YOU) happy with the level of brilliance, fire, scintillation it produces
2) the medium fluorescence does not negatively affect the diamond (I don't know much about med fluoro on an E stone)
3) the SI1 is eye clean, meaning no visible inclusion to the naked eye (so true, a stone that is SI1 can look as eye clean as a VS2 or better stone)
and 4) you can accept the probability that there exist a stone with similar specs, performance, etc. at a lower cost

But all in all, I think you got a good deal.

squire

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the hCA chart for stones with 62% tables... According to this, good brilliance is definitely achievable with the proportions your stone shows - and we'd need those famous angles to know where on the chart the stone falls.

To know them it would cost either $40 or $2000 ! The first is the approx. price of shipping and $10 for a Sarin report - the second number makes the premium for a E-SI1 H&A stones of a tad below 1 ct.

It seems that there is still room for about 50 'draws' descending near-ideals from the net and having them tested (if you have the patience
eek.gif
) !

60-62.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results