• Left

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Right

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
56F97B2C-B643-4502-92A9-1AA5AF3ABD47.png Rookie to asscher cut diamond here. I am debating between two stones. One is H/VVS2 and the other is I/VS1. I cannot decide which one seems to have better cut. Both are excellent polish and symmetry. Any opinions will be helpful.

YouTube video link: “

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful. One appears to be a “square Emerald Cut”, but both have great movement.

The one on the right (sq.emerald cut) has a much larger table than the one on the left. I favor the one on the left, just at quick glance, in the video.
I favor Asschers with smaller tables, and that appear closer to the 1.00:1 l x w ratio.
It’s all about preference.
The best way to determine performance would be an ASET image; comparing an ASET image for each diamond may prove important in deciding which you like more.
Step cuts are best judged in person, but visual aids help to assist making a choice, online. The more visual aid assist you have, the better.
You have to find what checks off all of your preference boxes. Everyone’s tastes are different!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the one on the right. I jut saw two asschers today too. They are hard to judge. Those both look decently cut. I would need to see more videos in different lighting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I slightly prefer the one on the right from the video. My eye kept being drawn to that one. But I'm not an asscher expert, so I think you should choose what speaks to you the most!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you redo this video with a bright background underneath the diamonds? Red would be best. I think I see quite a bit of leakage in both of them but it’s hard to say for sure since they’re on your finger.

Leakage is normal, but when facets that are near each other are off at the same time it creates a dead/black area instead of a complimenting “blinking” pattern.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many wise words of advice already posted in this thread :)

Would you be happy/willing to post your budget and colour/clarity/carat-size requirements?

We could help you find some alternative options :))

The two you have chosen so far do look pretty good, though - well-cut Asschers are very hard to find!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us the measurements? Like at least table size? The profile of an asscher is also important because you see it a lot unless you are setting in a halo. I think a smaller table and higher crown is beautiful. Large tables make the stone look very flat on top.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dear all -- Thank you for pitching in. Wise words for sure. I am happy to share more details of my hunt for a lovely asscher. I have a budget of $25k max. I will make a necklace of this stone. Def want a beautiful cut. Personally, I also want a stone above 8mm width and length.:think::think::think:

Here are the specs for both stones in the video:
1. H/VVS2: Depth 66.6% and table of 61%, Excellent for both the polish and symmetry. (7.96x7.88x5.25)
2. I/VS1: Depth 65.6% and table of 63%, Excellent for both the polish and symmetry. Small cloud toward the cutlet in the face-up view from GIA report. (8.12×7.99×5.24)

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Both are beautiful. One appears to be a “square Emerald Cut”, but both have great movement.

The one on the right (sq.emerald cut) has a much larger table than the one on the left. I favor the one on the left, just at quick glance, in the video.
I favor Asschers with smaller tables, and that appear closer to the 1.00:1 l x w ratio.
It’s all about preference.
The best way to determine performance would be an ASET image; comparing an ASET image for each diamond may prove important in deciding which you like more.
Step cuts are best judged in person, but visual aids help to assist making a choice, online. The more visual aid assist you have, the better.
You have to find what checks off all of your preference boxes. Everyone’s tastes are different!

You can actually see the table size difference? Wow...real eagle eyes do exist....:appl::appl:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Many wise words of advice already posted in this thread :)

Would you be happy/willing to post your budget and colour/clarity/carat-size requirements?

We could help you find some alternative options :))

The two you have chosen so far do look pretty good, though - well-cut Asschers are very hard to find!

I put the specs in the post below. =) Thank you!

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Can you tell us the measurements? Like at least table size? The profile of an asscher is also important because you see it a lot unless you are setting in a halo. I think a smaller table and higher crown is beautiful. Large tables make the stone look very flat on top.
I post the specs in the post below. Thank you!!! Trying to find the perfect balance. I also heard that for asscher, you do not want a very deep stone too?! Or am I miss informed? ^_^

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I post the specs in the post below. Thank you!!! Trying to find the perfect balance. I also heard that for asscher, you do not want a very deep stone too?! Or am I miss informed? ^_^
Asschers are one of the deepest stones around (and hence face up small for their weight) but have that awesome stepcut look :)

I don't believe you can 'shop by numbers' with asschers because you need to make sure the facets work with each other, rather than being a specific depth etc.

Check out the Octavia that Yoram at Gemconcepts sells - it was designed by Karl_K on here and is really quite a deep stone, from what I can tell!

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Asschers are one of the deepest stones around (and hence face up small for their weight) but have that awesome stepcut look :)

I don't believe you can 'shop by numbers' with asschers because you need to make sure the facets work with each other, rather than being a specific depth etc.

Check out the Octavia that Yoram at Gemconcepts sells - it was designed by Karl_K on here and is really quite a deep stone, from what I can tell!

Thank you very much again... Do you think I can get a 3ct from them for the budget I have if I want a I-J color good clarity stone? I feel that because of the depth, they could look really small like close to a 2ct face-up? Thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Specialty cut stones like antique asschers and Octavia will cost a bit more than regular asschers. Asschers do face up small just due to having greater depth. I have a 2.7 ct antique asscher that doesn't really look larger than my 2.3 ct round. We look more at leakage and light return rather than numbers. I do prefer 65% or less for the table so it doesn't look like a big flat top, and I prefer closer to 60.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Can you redo this video with a bright background underneath the diamonds? Red would be best. I think I see quite a bit of leakage in both of them but it’s hard to say for sure since they’re on your finger.

Leakage is normal, but when facets that are near each other are off at the same time it creates a dead/black area instead of a complimenting “blinking” pattern.

Another video. I have request a third one done with red background. Thank you!!! I am not sure what I am supposed to look if I get a video with red background though....:confused::confused::confused:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The point of the red background is that it's a strong colour that will show through any areas of leakage - filming on black and white backgrounds is all very good, but it means you can't tell if a facet is reflecting light (white), showing obstruction (dark) or showing the background (white/dark) behind it... :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much again... Do you think I can get a 3ct from them for the budget I have if I want a I-J color good clarity stone? I feel that because of the depth, they could look really small like close to a 2ct face-up? Thanks.
I tend to work on the basis that a 2ct will be around 7mm and a 3ct will be around 8mm!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another video. I have request a third one done with red background. Thank you!!! I am not sure what I am supposed to look if I get a video with red background though....:confused::confused::confused:
When they do the videos with the red background, ask them to hold the diamonds in tweezers and not in those jewelers claws. You don’t want anything behind the diamond other than the red background.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you prepared to buy from elsewhere - ie: an online vendor? I think you may be able to do better for the money.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Specifically, they both look leaky to me. I'm seeing through them to the flesh or holder underneath. The one on the left may not have the culet in the dead center, and the one on the right is showing it's larger table with less scintillation.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If another vendor is an option, I’d just go straight to IDJ. 25k is a healthy budget, but a 3ct with a very nice cut for that price will be tricky. I’d trust Yekutiel to deliver the best possible options.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
meh... not much on JA from what I can see!

These are the closest / best performing (IMO) that I could find!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.56-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-3752534

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-5315713

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.71-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-5774735

This is the only 3ct+ I could see - SI2 so would need assessment by eye, plus I'm not sure if it has a lack of contrast / leakage head-on, but it does perform pretty well for what looks to be cut to hit that magic 3ct mark:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/3.01-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-5626763

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
meh... not much on JA from what I can see!

These are the closest / best performing (IMO) that I could find!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.56-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-3752534

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-5315713

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.71-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-5774735

This is the only 3ct+ I could see - SI2 so would need assessment by eye, plus I'm not sure if it has a lack of contrast / leakage head-on, but it does perform pretty well for what looks to be cut to hit that magic 3ct mark:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/3.01-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-sku-5626763
That’s a very clean good looking SI2 IMO. Looks like a beautiful cut.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Perhaps save half of the budget? - WWW

Just thinking out loud,

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!!! Have you or anyone reading this post actually seen this stone in person? :doh::doh:
The fact that it is listed with more than one vendor means it is probably a drop shop diamond; ie it is overseas with the wholesale dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results