shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: Tiffany bow ribbon type ring

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
Hello!
I cannot begin to express the excitement I felt when my daughters boyfriend of 3 years texted me today to say he needs help with a ring!

I know my daughter likes the Tiffany ribbon bow ring style. We have also looked at single stint as she liked a more vintage look.

These are kids out of college a few years and his budget is between $6-8k all in. Any ideas on where to start to find something like this? 8A0FD367-2C92-4F98-B8C6-467463098206.jpeg Thanks for your help -

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That is an exciting project for you!

I agree, a pre-loved Tiffany may be a great idea! Especially if she loves that ring.

Does she like the original style of the Ribbon ring? Those seem to be easier to find second hand from a quick look online.

Does she like old cut stones or just the more vintage/romantic settings?

I think many here would probably say to go for the best cut modern round brilliant, like an ACA from Whiteflash, Brian Gavin or CBI and put it in a vintage looking setting (not necessarily my advice though). Do you know if she wants an a modern stone or an old cut stone? Would an entirely vintage or antique ring appeal or would she want a modern round brilliant she can upgrade as time goes by?

A few ideas if she likes old cut stones:

It's not the same obviously, but has similar elements and is a very fairly priced ring, I think- a lot of ring for the money:

this is also pretty:

This is a good deal on a Single Stone piece as well, but different vibe from the ribbon ring:

Maybe:

Last edited:

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
That is an exciting project for you!

I agree, a pre-loved Tiffany may be a great idea! Especially if she loves that ring.

Does she like the original style of the Ribbon ring? Those seem to be easier to find second hand from a quick look online.

Does she like old cut stones or just the more vintage/romantic settings?

I think many here would probably say to go for the best cut modern round brilliant, like an ACA from Whiteflash, Brian Gavin or CBI and put it in a vintage looking setting (not necessarily my advice though). Do you know if she wants an a modern stone or an old cut stone? Would an entirely vintage or antique ring appeal or would she want a modern round brilliant she can upgrade as time goes by?

A few ideas if she likes old cut stones:

It's not the same obviously, but has similar elements and is a very fairly priced ring, I think- a lot of ring for the money:

this is also pretty:

This is a good deal on a Single Stone piece as well, but different vibe from the ribbon ring:

Maybe:

This is excellent feedback - thank you so much! She really, really loved that Tiffany setting although my husband is not a fan of pre-loved. I’m starting to look at some of the rings on single stone that might fit the bill and I think this setting is a contender. Of course, the center stone will be much smaller.....

82DEDB37-7266-4543-B5B7-3FC39C816244.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This is excellent feedback - thank you so much! She really, really loved that Tiffany setting although my husband is not a fan of pre-loved. I’m starting to look at some of the rings on single stone that might fit the bill and I think this setting is a contender. Of course, the center stone will be much smaller.....

82DEDB37-7266-4543-B5B7-3FC39C816244.jpeg

If she would like that, look at Diamonds by Lauren. They make a setting that is almost identical! I happen to own it in a ring with a 2.something center.

This is on budget at the top, but you can pick any stone from them and they can make to order too. This stone is cut by an excellent cutter. I think the ring below is actually a very nice value- plus they have a nice wire transfer discount.

That ring I have is extremely well made, super nice pave that is smooth, and a weighty platinum setting.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since a vintage-y look appeals to your daughter, I'd suggest that she and her BF visit some jewelers that carry Beverley K settings.
Although not as "exclusive" as Single Stone, Beverley K settings are more moderately priced, thereby allowing more money to be put towards the center stone -- and they are well made, nicely finished. See, e.g., the pics in this thread:

Is your daughter opposed to a pre-loved ring?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That exact ring at Tiffany with an aquamarine is $9k. Maybe he can put in some overtime? I’ve tried it on and it’s yummy!

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
If she would like that, look at Diamonds by Lauren. They make a setting that is almost identical! I happen to own it in a ring with a 2.something center.

This is on budget at the top, but you can pick any stone from them and they can make to order too. This stone is cut by an excellent cutter. I think the ring below is actually a very nice value- plus they have a nice wire transfer discount.

That ring I have is extremely well made, super nice pave that is smooth, and a weighty platinum setting.

Thank you so much! He and I are going to get together this weekend and I will show him these. I sincerely appreciate your help!

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
That exact ring at Tiffany with an aquamarine is $9k. Maybe he can put in some overtime? I’ve tried it on and it’s yummy!

It is gorgeous!!!

katkrack

Shiny_Rock

what a great idea - thank you so much. He will be thrilled to have so many c
Since a vintage-y look appeals to your daughter, I'd suggest that she and her BF visit some jewelers that carry Beverley K settings.
Although not as "exclusive" as Single Stone, Beverley K settings are more moderately priced, thereby allowing more money to be put towards the center stone -- and they are well made, nicely finished. See, e.g., the pics in this thread:

that’s a great idea! I was thinking of showing him a few then offering that perhaps he could propose to her with a band or even a solitaire on a plain band then offer that they will select the ring together. It’s such an important choice and she will wear it every day so it makes sense that she would select it!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you, and congratulations to your daughter and her future fiance. Not sure how old your daughter is, but my future DIL wanted a lovely ring and didn’t mind at all in having pre-loved. There are some beautiful examples on offer, and you certainly get a long more bang for your buck going the pre-loved route, as well as it being something so different. Please don’t be put off by Old cuts, they really have to be see to be appreciated, and face up quite white. Have fun with your future SIL looking.

headlight

Ideal_Rock

I have owned a number of Bev K pieces. I have found them to be what I would consider pricey. Sadly, their quality has come down in recent years, so much so that my jeweler who carried their line extensively doesn’t even bring in their pieces anymore. It’s unfortunate.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Is she wanting a modern round brilliant or would she be interested in an old European? Antiqueengagementrings.com has both vintage and vintage replicas (new, not pre-loved) that may appeal to her and they are priced reasonably. (They do also have modern round brilliants.). Check them out. Leigh is wonderful to work with.

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
How exciting for you, and congratulations to your daughter and her future fiance. Not sure how old your daughter is, but my future DIL wanted a lovely ring and didn’t mind at all in having pre-loved. There are some beautiful examples on offer, and you certainly get a long more bang for your buck going the pre-loved route, as well as it being something so different. Please don’t be put off by Old cuts, they really have to be see to be appreciated, and face up quite white. Have fun with your future SIL looking.

thanks for sharing this helpful perspective. I do think she might enjoy an old cut however we have never seen them together, in person. I think they are beautiful!

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
I have owned a number of Bev K pieces. I have found them to be what I would consider pricey. Sadly, their quality has come down in recent years, so much so that my jeweler who carried their line extensively doesn’t even bring in their pieces anymore. It’s unfortunate.

Thanks for the intel on the Beverly K. I saw a nice setting on Sholdt Instagram that I shared with the boyfriend and he likes it a lot! The one on the right is preferred. Ow we just need a fabulous 1 carat - ish center stone in the $5-6k range!

12EA90B7-6BF3-4BBB-8B4E-6F6EE6B080EF.jpeg

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
Is she wanting a modern round brilliant or would she be interested in an old European? Antiqueengagementrings.com has both vintage and vintage replicas (new, not pre-loved) that may appeal to her and they are priced reasonably. (They do also have modern round brilliants.). Check them out. Leigh is wonderful to work with.

And thank you for this. I’ve not heard of this vendor!

L

lydial

Moment of honesty: I do not see the whimsy and romance of the T&Co in the Sholdt. There is something a little more androgynous about the Sholdt aesthetic that I do not think translates to the T&Co femininity your daughter highlighted as her dream ring. I would envision something like the CVB Casablanca (Etsy link) or Clara (see her insta) with an OEC like an AV.... that is romance to me. And: in budget!! https://www.etsy.com/listing/217522...ign&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

disclosure: I am working with CVB on a ring so I am giving her a shout out, but her prices are fair and she designs with a keen eye, which I appreciate.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I happen to own a few of the settings noted by @lydial if you want actual non vendor photos. I will say that CVB and Sako are my vendors of choice though. Most of my things come from them.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the intel on the Beverly K. I saw a nice setting on Sholdt Instagram that I shared with the boyfriend and he likes it a lot! The one on the right is preferred. Ow we just need a fabulous 1 carat - ish center stone in the $5-6k range!

12EA90B7-6BF3-4BBB-8B4E-6F6EE6B080EF.jpeg

I will also be honest and say that I agree these are bulkier and less fluid than the Tiffany ring or most Single Stone pieces. If you have been to Single Stone already, which it sounds like you have, she probably has already seen old cut stones, because they primarily use those in the designs.

katkrack

Shiny_Rock

katkrack

Shiny_Rock
Moment of honesty: I do not see the whimsy and romance of the T&Co in the Sholdt. There is something a little more androgynous about the Sholdt aesthetic that I do not think translates to the T&Co femininity your daughter highlighted as her dream ring. I would envision something like the CVB Casablanca (Etsy link) or Clara (see her insta) with an OEC like an AV.... that is romance to me. And: in budget!! https://www.etsy.com/listing/217522...ign&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1

disclosure: I am working with CVB on a ring so I am giving her a shout out, but her prices are fair and she designs with a keen eye, which I appreciate.

This is great feedback. Will definitely take all of this into consideration!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results