shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help - thickness of jadeite cabochon

emeraldemerald

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm new to jade and recently have my eyes on a jadeite cabochon ring. The heart-shaped cab is 15mm thick only and in bezel setting. I seldom see such a thin cab. Would this 15mm thick, heart-shaped cab in a bezel setting be prone to cracking? I'm not sure what other info is required to gauge durability of the jadeite. It's about 8mm-9mm for the cab's length and breadth, flawless icy material according to vendor. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I'm new to jade and recently have my eyes on a jadeite cabochon ring. The heart-shaped cab is 15mm thick only and in bezel setting. I seldom see such a thin cab. Would this 15mm thick, heart-shaped cab in a bezel setting be prone to cracking? I'm not sure what other info is required to gauge durability of the jadeite. It's about 8mm-9mm for the cab's length and breadth, flawless icy material according to vendor. Thanks for any insight.

Do you mean 1.5 mm or 1.5cm (15mm)?

If the former, I’ve heard from my regular jeweller that such thin slices are prone to breaking/cracking if dropped and he does not recommend getting them. So I will not recommend…

Pics will be helpful if you can show us.

emeraldemerald

Rough_Rock
Do you mean 1.5 mm or 1.5cm (15mm)?

If the former, I’ve heard from my regular jeweller that such thin slices are prone to breaking/cracking if dropped and he does not recommend getting them. So I will not recommend…

Pics will be helpful if you can show us.

Hi Icy Jade, thanks for your sharing. You're right. I made a typo. It's 1.5mm, hence my concern. Here's the ring.

I think I most probably won't get it as it's quite thin for a cab.

Was thinking of this too which is around 2mm per cab. Slightly thicker, not sure about the cabs that hit the desk whenever I use the mouse.

Thank you.

emeraldemerald

Rough_Rock
Bracelet should be fine… I have a few of those bracelets n I’m definitely not careful with them. Ring yeah I would want thicker cabs.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the bracelets. Do you have a thread of your bracelets? Thank you :)

emeraldemerald

Rough_Rock
Too thin for me. If it helps, a (US) dime is almost exactly 1.5 mm thick.

Thank you Alex for relating to the dime. It's indeed too thin then. I don't do heavy work but it should be able to withstand the occasional knocks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results