shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking light pink diamond for suprise diamond

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hello,
I am having a setting made by one of the vendors here and wanted to add a surprise fancy light pink diamond to the underside of the head.
I didn't realize how expensive tiny pink diamonds cost though.
On a whim, I purchased three ~2.7mm (.07 carat) light pink diamonds off Ebay and now that I have them in hand, I can't decide. All are GIA certified and I can return them with 14 days.

The pink diamond will be set in 18kt. Rose gold but will be hidden.

So here are my options- all are GIA certed-

1) fancy pink- purple round diamond .07 ct. My favorite color but has a surface reaching inclusion, looks like the table is chipped off. I've found similar diamonds selling for $1850 or more on the Leibish website. I got it for under $400. Gia certified from Dec. 2014.

2) fancy orangy- pink round diamond .07 ct. ❤ this color second but has fine crack lines on the table and what appears to be a big cloud so it's just not as sparkly. I got this for under $300.

3) fancy brown pink round diamond .07 ct. This has the best clarity and is super sparkly. Purchased for under $200.

So does it really matter what the clarity is since its a surprise diamond? Am I better off going with a uncerted pink diamond but maybe smaller, like 1.7mm. Which is more to my budget liking.
A quick search on the Africa Gems website for a 2.7mm light pink diamond melee is about $1400.
A lot more than I want to spend.
Should I just go with a light pink sapphire instead?

_29108.jpg

_29109.jpg

_29110.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
And a preliminary CAD of the setting and where the diamond will be.

_29112.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorwise I like the pink purple diamond.

If you're going to go with a colored diamond in an important piece of jewelry, I would personally make sure its got a report with it. But this is my preference, you will hear many more answers on this point however.

If you want a pink diamond go with one. If you want a sapphire, go with that. IMO there's no one better one in this case, except where price is concerned (a pink sapphire of similar size may end up being cheaper)

The diamond in this case, you've said that there are some surface reaching inclusions? then double check with whomever is creating the ring for you because they may need to see them to be sure they will or won't have any issues. It may also be worth approaching them to see if they have other connections for small stones such as these because they can always tell if there will be issues and, they sometimes can get a bit of a better price.

btw who's making the setting? (I'm being nosey...lol)

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Arcadian for your advice.

I ❤ the pink purple. So disappointed in the clarity. If the cracks didn't reach the table surface, this would be the one for sure, without question. Purple is my favorite color and I know pink purple is a rarer combo than the other two combos. But I don't want a stone with a surface reaching inclusion. That's a deal breaker for me.

Caysie van Bebber is making my setting. I don't believe she has access to pink diamonds of this size, esp not certified ones or she would have mentioned it to me.

BTW, I also purchased a yellow orange diamond from the same seller and it is gorgeous! Like the sun beaming coming out of a tiny Ray of light.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
butterfly 17|1429129391|3862474 said:

I ❤ the pink purple. So disappointed in the clarity. If the cracks didn't reach the table surface, this would be the one for sure, without question. Purple is my favorite color and I know pink purple is a rarer combo than the other two combos. But I don't want a stone with a surface reaching inclusion. That's a deal breaker for me.

Caysie van Bebber is making my setting. I don't believe she has access to pink diamonds of this size, esp not certified ones or she would have mentioned it to me.

BTW, I also purchased a yellow orange diamond from the same seller and it is gorgeous! Like the sun beaming coming out of a tiny Ray of light.

Could you share the name of the seller? I love browsing vendor's inventories :)

I think a surface reaching inclusion would be a deal breaker for me too -- in case of a durability risk.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
butterfly 17|1429129391|3862474 said:

Then its probably off the table no matter how much you love it. you COULD see if you could find a sapphire of the same colour but it may not have the same meaning, if you know what I mean. have you asked caysie about if it would be possible for her to source a similarly coloured sapphire?

Just MO, but I don't think clarity for a surprise diamond is as much of an issue as durability. its more about interpretation of the color I think .... as long as you don't have type a personality...lol.

Love this setting btw! :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For me, the color of all the diamonds is too light to have much impact, and I would go for a hot pink sapphire. That's just my personal opinion. If you still decide to keep one, pick the one that sings to you. I have found that gems have to make me go WOW, or after a while I don't want them anymore. I am type A :)

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies and thanks for your replies.

Loverskites,
The ebay seller is jljp. I don't think he has any more colored diamonds though. I think I bought all of them. :

Arcadian,
I am definitely a Type A personality. I prefer higher clarity stones. I know it's so tiny but I guess it's a mind thing for me.
Caysie is a doll and has been a dream to work with so far. I did inquire about getting the pink diamond melee for me. She will look into it. I also contacted David from DBL, but he told me it just wasn't worth it since it was just a surprise diamond. He said if he did get one for me it would be non refundable and he had no pictures for me to see.

Pregcurious,
I actually want a light pink diamond color as I don't want to see too much color coming up since it will affect the color of my actual diamond. I got the idea for this from Haven because she has a tiny yellow diamond in the same spot under her OMB. I think it's cool because only I would know it was there. Just a little added thing for me to have. I'm also adding rubies to the inside of the shank as well.
The one that makes me go WOW is the pink purple diamond, but the one that is the sparkliest is the brown pink one. And the yellow orange one. Those two are a ball of fire!

Thanks again for the advice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Difficult choice but I would go for the purple pink since I am particular about colour. With it being on the underside, I don't think sparkle will matter that much because the table will be all smudged up by the constant skin contact anyway.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1429184073|3862778 said:
Difficult choice but I would go for the purple pink since I am particular about colour. With it being on the underside, I don't think sparkle will matter that much because the table will be all smudged up by the constant skin contact anyway.

I agree especially in looking at the closeups of the stones on ebay. The Purple Pink has the best color.

While the brown pink has the best sparkle, it looks more like a pink champagne diamond to me. Not sure why the primary color is pink unless the photo is really inaccurate.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono and TL,

I'm surprised the seller sent these tiny diamonds out to GIA actually. I guess it's better to be certed than not, but then he listed them for a steal! I did peruse the Leibish website and found a .08 fancy intense purplish pink for $1850 and another .08 fancy intense purple pink for $2050. Luckily for me, they are too dark and not the color I want.

I had no idea that these tiny tiny diamonds were so expensive.

I'll see what Caysie comes up with and in the meantime I ordered light pink sapphire melee from Africa Gems to at least compare.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
butterfly 17|1429187664|3862831 said:
Thanks Chrono and TL,

I'm surprised the seller sent these tiny diamonds out to GIA actually. I guess it's better to be certed than not, but then he listed them for a steal! I did peruse the Leibish website and found a .08 fancy intense purplish pink for $1850 and another .08 fancy intense purple pink for $2050. Luckily for me, they are too dark and not the color I want.

I had no idea that these tiny tiny diamonds were so expensive.

I'll see what Caysie comes up with and in the meantime I ordered light pink sapphire melee from Africa Gems to at least compare.

Hi butterfly17,

I'm pretty sure Langermans Diamonds would have what you are looking for, I'm just not sure it would fit into budget and most likely the stone would not have a GIA report, although if you were willing to spend the $ on the report they would get that done for you. Plus, they are in Europe which would make a return more tricky with the shipping, etc. However, if you don't mind forgoing a report, might be worth a try. I've visited their offices and can say they have a ton of sizes and color ranges. The thread of my visit there: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/my-visit-to-langerman-diamonds-t204073-30.html

I was going to suggest DBL, but looks like you already explored that avenue. Bummer that it won't work out with him. Do you already know the measurement for the stone that will be needed in your project or do you have a bit of wiggle room on that?

Kroshka

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kroshka|1429191699|3862869 said:
Hi butterfly17,

I'm pretty sure Langermans Diamonds would have what you are looking for, I'm just not sure it would fit into budget and most likely the stone would not have a GIA report, although if you were willing to spend the $ on the report they would get that done for you. Plus, they are in Europe which would make a return more tricky with the shipping, etc. However, if you don't mind forgoing a report, might be worth a try. I've visited their offices and can say they have a ton of sizes and color ranges. The thread of my visit there: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/my-visit-to-langerman-diamonds-t204073-30.html

I was going to suggest DBL, but looks like you already explored that avenue. Bummer that it won't work out with him. Do you already know the measurement for the stone that will be needed in your project or do you have a bit of wiggle room on that?

Kroshka

Hi Kroshka,
I will try them but I think that they will be expensive as well.

As far as the measurements, the shank is going to be 2mm and we were going to make the donut larger to accommodate the pink diamond. Originally I was looking into a 1.7mm size(because my fav. number is 17), but then when I found these pink diamonds on eBay, Caysie told me that the 2.7 mm size would be good.

So, yes, I think we have some wiggle room, especially since my CADs are still being made and we have not finalized the details.

I technically don't need to add a pink diamond, I could leave it empty, I just thought it would be cool. lol!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Butterfly17|1429216154|3863125 said:
kroshka|1429191699|3862869 said:
Hi butterfly17,

Kroshka

Hi Kroshka,
I will try them but I think that they will be expensive as well.

As far as the measurements, the shank is going to be 2mm and we were going to make the donut larger to accommodate the pink diamond. Originally I was looking into a 1.7mm size(because my fav. number is 17), but then when I found these pink diamonds on eBay, Caysie told me that the 2.7 mm size would be good.

So, yes, I think we have some wiggle room, especially since my CADs are still being made and we have not finalized the details.

I technically don't need to add a pink diamond, I could leave it empty, I just thought it would be cool. lol!

Ok if you have wiggle room then that to me means you have the option to go with a small pink diamond which hopefully means less expensive overall :) Also, since you don't want the tint to be intense or anything, I would say be open to light pink (1 grade before fancy light), but it greatly depends on how it looks and round pinks tend to be less saturated because of the shape. Why not go with a 1.70mm one from Africa Gems since you like that number? I know it won't have a GIA, etc but at least it will be affordable at around $220 and although I have not purchased from there I think a couple of PSer's have purchased the small pink diamond melee from there before and were happy. Also, it never hurts to inquire to Langerman's just to get an idea of pricing. Just be clear about the shade range you find acceptable, and clarity, I would suggest sending a couple of photos to explain the color etc. I would also inquire to Leibish. Even though they post a lot of inventory, I'm sure something like what you want is available and not posted, just need to find out the price and without a GIA report should be more affordable.

Kroshka

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kroshka!

I appreciate it. I am waiting back from Caysie to see if she can get anything for me at a reasonable price.
Leibish did get back to me and a .02 ct. fancy pink would be $400. That is about 1.7 mm. I'm just waiting to hear from them on the cost of a 2.5 to 2.7 mm.
I've decided to return the orangy-pink and pink-purple back to the seller, so if anyone wants them, the seller should be relisting them sometime next week after I return them. They are still in their GIA packages with the seal intact.

OF course, now the wheels are turning and I am thinking of setting the yellow orange one into a wedding band for my husband.
Go figure.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful! Can't wait to see the pink you decide to use and your finished ring!

Kroshka

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results