shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking emerald cut diamond for engagement

Lillian Ognjenovic

Rough_Rock
84E27B57-770C-4F5F-85B3-9BE800B46138.jpeg 5487C7AA-BA6E-4EE3-A5ED-78552290E5B0.jpeg

Hi. I’m getting engaged pretty soon and found these stones on Blue Nile. I’m trying to follow these guidelines. Depth: 61% to 68%
Table: 60% to 65% One stone is slightly off. Not sure if it makes a difference. What do you diamond experts think ? Which stone is better?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers dont really tell you much for fancy cut stones. We need links with up close pictures to really evaluate the stones.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum :)

As tyty has mentioned, ECs are somewhat difficult to assess and can't really be bought by the numbers alone - ASETscope images can help ascertain light performance and any light leakage, but videos are even more useful (in my opinion) :)

May I ask if there is a particular reason for the high colour and high clarity? VS1 should be 'eye-clean' to all but the most eagle-eyed viewer, but I do appreciate the preference for high colour - I am colour-sensitive myself :D lol

Lillian Ognjenovic

Rough_Rock
Hello. Thanks for your response. I am being guided by a website that gave these proportions. Blue nile doesn’t offer a video and I would have to have the stone for aset pics. The specs I put in were g color or better, and vvs2 or better along with the depth and table angles. Blue nile offers several options and every time one I consider one, there’s always a better option it seems. I’m trying to stay at about 3500$ give or take a few hundred total cost. Any advice in how I should go about choosing ?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, let us help. Bluenile USA has pictures/videos of their stones. Are you looking at BN using a different country?

Lillian Ognjenovic

Rough_Rock
thanks so much ! I’m in New York. I wasn’t aware of the video. Let me look for the links of these two stones and post them. Appreciate it so much.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If these stones are not in house at BN, request ASET images. The vendor should be able to provide them, if BN requests them, upon your request.
EC’s are difficult to evaluate without these aids to visually see how well the stones perform.

Lillian Ognjenovic

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I started looking at James Allen as well. They actually have a sale going on right now. I hope to narrow it down to a few stones and then post them here. With James Allen the g I a certificates aren’t as readily available as they are in blue nile. Any preference between these two o line vendors ? Just curious.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
I started looking at James Allen as well. They actually have a sale going on right now. I hope to narrow it down to a few stones and then post them here. With James Allen the g I a certificates aren’t as readily available as they are in blue nile. Any preference between these two o line vendors ? Just curious.
The JA move to hide grading reports and other useful info is very frustrating for us Pricescopers, but to a certain extent it is fairly moot in terms of shopping for ECs and other fancy cuts (IMHO) - they have to be bought off beauty alone, which requires video analysis rather than comparison of measurements etc., and it is probably fair to say that JA is one of the leaders in video presentation.

Blue Nile have stepped up their game (as far as I can tell) when it comes to video and other data presentation, which is excellent for us shoppers. They have a different lighting environment to JA videos so it can be hard to compare stones on the two websites, but they are both useful for analysis.

On that basis, and IMHO, either are good for shopping for ECs, so please do post up any that catch your eye! :)

Lillian Ognjenovic

Rough_Rock
150B44D8-1DA5-4309-AD14-E332F7ED853F.jpeg F38E69EC-C297-4ECB-9D4A-4789AF8FA695.jpeg BE7E0CBE-02B2-491D-B669-ACD06081B75B.jpeg
Hello,
I’m Having a little trouble getting the links to work so that I could post the videos. Here is one that has an aset pic that looks nice to me. I have two more for which I have requested aset pics. For now, What do you think of this one ?

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
It would be easier if you simply post the links to the stones on the BN/JA websites so that we can view the videos.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
150B44D8-1DA5-4309-AD14-E332F7ED853F.jpeg F38E69EC-C297-4ECB-9D4A-4789AF8FA695.jpeg BE7E0CBE-02B2-491D-B669-ACD06081B75B.jpeg
Hello,
I’m Having a little trouble getting the links to work so that I could post the videos. Here is one that has an aset pic that looks nice to me. I have two more for which I have requested aset pics. For now, What do you think of this one ?
I'm no expert, but I'm not super-keen on that ASETscope image.

Of course, it is only one angle and the stone would be in constant motion on the hand, but there is a lot of blue and black under the table at the same time, which means a lot of obstruction/contrast, which you can see as the dark areas in the 'real life' still picture. It may well therefore look dark in real life, although video is not the same as using your eyes, of course.

Please do post the other ASETscope images up when you get them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results