shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help picking a diamond ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dude227

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am glad I found this site because of the wealth of information contained here. I am hoping to draw from the general wisdom found among its forum members.

I am looking for a 1.7-ish carat diamond, round, hearts and arrows cut. I am placing a premium on cut, rightly or wrongly, because the one link my soon-to-be fiance (I hope, she could always say no, right?) sent me was the wikipedia entry on the H&A cut, which I take as a strong hint.

Everyone I know has a person I should go to for buying the ring, but I feel pretty comfortable selecting a diamond over the internet, having it appraised, and purchasing that way if everything checks out okay. In fact, I feel more comfortable doing it that way, because buying at retail stores doesn''t seem nearly as transparent to me.

With that said, what are people''s thoughts on Blue Nile? Their prices seem comparable to Good Old Gold and White Flash, two sites that seem well regarded here. I am not sure how I would go about insuring I get a H&A cut diamond from them, but I guess I can always ask and have the appraiser make sure.

From a price search on this site using these parameters, Round shape, Excellent cut, AGS0 Only, H&A Only, 1.70 - 1.75 cts, D - I clarity, IF - VS2 clarity, I pulled up 3 rings. Two are similar in price, and one is significantly higher. I attribute that to color, G vs. I for the other 2. Is that worth a $5000 difference? I personally am not sensitive to the qualitative aspects of different diamonds, which is why this is easier for me just looking at quantifiable attributes, i.e., when I go to a store, most large diamonds look pretty nice to me. This is where your advice comes in.

So, which diamond would you guys pick, and why?
1.70 G VS1 1.8-EX ex-ex-vg-vg 0 H&A 62.27% 56.63% 34.93° 40.84° 2.23 no ex ex neg 7.65x7.60x4.75
1.717 I VS1 1.1-EX ex-ex-ex-vg 0 H&A ACA 61.6% 56% 34.8° 40.7° thn-med f id id no 7.67-7.68x4.73
1.718 I VS2 1.2-EX ex-ex-ex-vg 0 H&A 61.14% 57.2% 34.74° 40.7° 1.86 no id id neg 7.73x7.69x4.72

I hope to learn from the responses. Also, if anyone has an absolute beat them hands down type diamond with the characteristics I am looking for, do you care to share where I can purchase such a diamond, and at what price (if that doesn''t mean breaking forum rules)? I would be forever grateful!

Thanks for you help. Great site, and great people on here! You guys have some amazing looking diamonds, so you must know what you are doing...

dude227

Rough_Rock
Oh, the reason for the ASAP is because I just found out the custom setting I want is going to take 8-10 weeks, so I only have a little cushion time, and my experience is that things always take longer.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 4:33:21 PM
Author:dude227
I hope to learn from the responses. Also, if anyone has an absolute beat them hands down type diamond with the characteristics I am looking for, do you care to share where I can purchase such a diamond, and at what price (if that doesn't mean breaking forum rules)? I would be forever grateful!
Hey Dude,

Looks like you're trying to be careful...and providing specific suggestions is what the forum is frequently used for. Here's some thoughts...

1) Check this one out.
2) BN is fine, of course, but given your H&A options...after having sorted a number of ways on the big search engine here, I just stopped, said to myself...self...if BN, where you're going to get a promise of H&A is in their signature series. Going direct to their site for that, there were only several, ranging in price from $19,2 - $20,5, and all G, VS2. The G0G one is at the cheapest of their prices (and even cheaper if you wire the cash), is G VS1, and comes from a dealer with a number of advantaged features over BN. But BN is fine, yes.
3) see below my signature for a range of strategies.

Keep up the good work.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Some questions come to my mind as I read your message?

Why 1.7-ish carat? What is your budget?

Where is the custom ring being designed?

Does Blue Nile specialize in H&A? Do they have a upgrade policy?

Well, Whiteflash, GOG and James Allen specialize in H&As, so I would be looking there before Blue Nile. Nothing against Blue Nile, but if your fiancee wants H&As, go where they have them.

Good Luck
MWG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi dude,

I echo going with one of the 3 others mentioned. Much more info is gven (which to me is crucial buying over the net) and they have upgrade policies.

Ira picked a beauty.

dude227

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information so far. Ira (and others), the diamond you picked is the first one I listed. Can you maybe expound on your thoughts as to why that one, for a >$5000 premium, over the other two (http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-273546.htm and http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2949/ from the results above)? Will the two color grades (G vs. I) be that significant? Also, are GIA certified rings more expensive? I think I read that from A. Fishman''s site.

As far as carat weight, my girlfriend and I went and looked at rings, and she seemed to like the 1.71 carat sized diamond she tried on. The diamond Ira linked is about the upper end of my budget, so the carat size works well with my budget (I feel like my girlfriend knew that). The setting I picked is from Catherine Angiel, and isn''t custom per se, but they are willing to work with me and will fabricate the setting to accommodate a larger loose diamond. I am hoping that doesn''t impact the aesthetic of the setting(http://www.catherineangiel.com/collection/productPages/cherish.html thoughts on that?). I picked the cherish setting because it is delicate and not clunky at all. My girlfriend''s ring size is a 4.5, and most of the settings we have looked at look too clunky. I hope she likes the setting I am surprising her with!

Thanks for all of your input. I feel like with the help here I am sure to get the best ring possible within my budget.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
G vs I? visible.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dude, sorry. The way I read your post, I thought your pics were from BN.

They will all be beautiful, no doubt. However, at I, and the larger the size, this is where people begin to see color. It''s not noticable under jewelers lights. So, you may want her to look at some H&A stones, like Hearts on Fire, and preferably outside, where you can better see the color, to make sure she''s ok with it first.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 4:33:21 PM
Author:dude227

So, which diamond would you guys pick, and why?
1.70 G VS1 1.8-EX ex-ex-vg-vg 0 H&A 62.27% 56.63% 34.93° 40.84° 2.23 no ex ex neg 7.65x7.60x4.75
1.717 I VS1 1.1-EX ex-ex-ex-vg 0 H&A ACA 61.6% 56% 34.8° 40.7° thn-med f id id no 7.67-7.68x4.73
1.718 I VS2 1.2-EX ex-ex-ex-vg 0 H&A 61.14% 57.2% 34.74° 40.7° 1.86 no id id neg 7.73x7.69x4.72
Dude, sorry...given your given constraints...you''ve found the same 3 I find (your comments threw me off, and I thought you were presenting BN options).

Which to pick is hard to say. Apparently $5K buys you a 2 color grade advantage. You''ll find a spectrum of opinion here, with Paul the diamond cutter and many others saying J is plenty white (I saw no Js here today for you), and Garry H warning he won''t carry above H, and that with bigger stones, the color is more apparent.

My guess is you''re OK with I, especially given what your girl has already told you, and so, between the 2 Is...I''d be reluctant to venture a preference...except to say that VS1 is better than VS2, so maybe lean that way....

Warm regards,

dude227

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend hasn''t stated a color preference, just a size preference. She wants to be surprised, so we ventured out and got some basic parameters, like types of settings to avoid and diamond cut preference, but nothing beyond that.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Just to mix things up a bit...

Note...

a) 1.7 - 1.75 is a bit narrow of a range, and going a tad smaller could allow you to better your color, too, and
b) likewise, and as with the above, many SI 1s are eye clean, which is a discerning target...particularly when you work with a well regarded vendor, who will vouch for these characteristics.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you were BLUE NILE as well.

Next question and I think more important than you think since you are buying a ROCK:
What do her co workers or best girl friends jewelry look like? Are the diamonds colorless (DEF) or Near Colorless (GHI) or lower.

What size are their diamonds? You cant buy smaller, but if that is all you can afford, buy from a vendor that upgrades.

MWG

dude227

Rough_Rock
Her friends are mostly unmarried, but my friends have been progressively raising the bar with the rings for their fiances. I have no interest in trying to keep up with the Jones'', I just want something she will like, something delicate on her skinny finger, and something somewhat unique, as far as these things go. Besides, she lives and works in Manhattan, and there is no way I am going to try to compete with the rings the bonuses thrown around in that city can buy. :)

I will expand to look at some smaller diamonds, considering the limited stock in the narrow range I specified.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
i''m for moving to SI to go down to a G or H in color

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=945305
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-155621.htm#

good luck! all the diamonds you picked out look good to me also btw

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 4:12:03 AM
Author: dude227
One more for you guys to help me decide on. I am going to go check this one out in person this weekend if I can, and if it looks good, move forward.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/58127.html
It''s a nice diamond, but I just can''t see paying for that color and clarity if you don''t have to. You can get bigger by lowering things a bit. I think H and SI1 is a great middleground.

If the one Ira picked last is eyeclean, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
the size should look lovely on her. i have a 1.80 fvs1 with .45 each dvs2 sidestones (ideal and h & a). my ring size is a 4+ (less than a 4 1/4). if she is color sensitive, the i color stones will show color. they will sparkle like mad, but show color. the g, maybe, but not likely. if it was me...i''d select the 1.6 f...but i am more sensitive to color than size. for me...an i color diamond screams yellow, but color is very personal.

all this said, the ring you select will be absolutely lovely...you are on the right track.

dude227

Rough_Rock
If her palate and sense of smell (both amazingly sensitive) are any indication, then she is probably going to be really color sensitive. I am thinking I should probably avoid I's.

As a side, when we were first dating, I came home to her once, and she asked if I had a Coke earlier because she could smell it. I never drink soda but had one at lunch that day, so for her to pick out the one day I had one, I thought was amazing, especially since I drink a lot of water throughout the day to flush my system. And as for me, I once noticed exactly one stuck pixel on my LCD (32") and my eyes kept gravitating towards it once I knew it was there. It ruined the set for me and I had to sell it. I would love to be able to afford a flawless diamond for my girlfriend, but cost obviously is prohibitive.

Trying to surprise her with this is probably going to cost me some money as far as determining the best mix of attributes for the diamond, but it's worth the memories, right? I keep telling myself that, because I don't understand the lust for diamonds personally. Give me $20,000 speakers any day.

dude227

Rough_Rock
And thanks again everyone for your research, thoughts, and opinions. Much appreciated!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 4:12:03 AM
Author: dude227
One more for you guys to help me decide on. I am going to go check this one out in person this weekend if I can, and if it looks good, move forward.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/58127.html
Dude, I think this may make a swell choice. Also, if you get to NY with any frequency, and might thereby help your friend with prong tightening and such...all the better (though if it''s convenient for her to go in, all the better). In other words...if Excel/Superbcert can more effectively serve as a "local" jeweler, this is worth a premium, in my opinion.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
your pixel experience, and her sensitivity to smell....stick with vs2 or better, and g or better.

and another suggestion...go to a paint store...take a look at the shade charts and see where you become sensitive to yellow undertones under different lightling conditions....that will tell you alot about what you will feel good about for color selection.

and...if you want the truth...i see a difference between my center stone (f, and an f that is closer to e than g) and my sidestones.....

dude227

Rough_Rock
GREAT! Thanks for the continued advice and the suggestions. I think the choices are getting narrower. I contacted Excel after doing a search of their inventory, and they are going to provide in depth analysis and light performance results for 2 other diamonds I selected. I am going to try to look at 3 stones that are F, G, and H when I am up in NYC next, including the one I linked. I think I would be comfortable purchasing that one right now after having discussed it with you guys (well, after having it checked by an appraiser), so at this point, it''s all gravy.

Ira, I agree that working with someone locally is worth a premium. My setting was chosen from where it was partly for this reason as well. I will be moving up to NYC permanently in Sept. (girlfriend and I bought a place together, which adds to the ASAP part), so Excel will be convenient to work with. Rocks, thanks for your input on color.

If and when I do end up getting a ring, I will make sure to show all you guys the fruits of "our" labor.

Many thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m have a very sensitive palate and sense of smell. And I''m not extraordinarily color sensitive. I''ve seen hearts and arrows H-I-J''s larger than 1.7 and have thought they were very white face up.The H and I particularly blew me away (3 carat size each) I would encourage you to look at H''s and I''s if you haven''t picked anything yet.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I personally think that excel diamond looks great light return wise and everything else as long as you like the pattern. About dropping down in color or clarity, I wouldn't because considering where you started, you need to be "mind clean" about your diamond.

An F VS1, means anyone looking at your diamond without a louple or the aid of another diamond should not be able to see any flaws or color. If that gives you piece of mind, I'd say go for it! The Idealscope looks lovely, the numbers seem good AND Excel diamonds is in NY so you get the benefits of having the physical jeweler around as well.

Also for a size 4ish finger, I think a 7.5 X 7.5 round will provide excellent finger coverage, and I personally wouldn't want anything bigger (though that's a personal preference).

EDIT: just saw you're going in to look in perosn! Well congratulations on narrowing it down, and wish you the best of luck.

dude227

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I was going to add some anecdotal evidence of certain senses being enhanced only to compensate for other deficient ones (like the Daredevil), but that wouldn''t have added much to my story, ha.

I concur, strong sensitivity for smell has nothing to do with color tolerance, which is why I asked to see a spread of colors.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to chime in about the setting you chose. I think it''s beautiful! Simple, but with a little twist. I really like the matching wedding band, as well. This ring is going to be gorgeous when it''s all put together!

As far as color vs. clarity, I personally prefer color over clarity. I have a G SI1 that is totally eyeclean and I love it. I''m pretty color sensitive, but I''m totally fine with my G. An H in a round would be fine for me, too. If you''re worried about an SI1 and it just isn''t "mindclean" for you, I would go for a VS2. But if you get to see these diamonds in person, I would at least check out a few SI1s before ruling them out entirely.

dude227

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments. I wanted to look at the stones in person first, but I am facing time constraints with vacation and needing to get the stone to the jeweler on the days I wanted to physically go into Excel. I am having that SuperbCert 1.6 F VS1 sent to RocDoc to have appraised, and if everything checks out like I hope it does, then I am moving foward to the next step of having it set. I am looking forward to seeing the final result in however many months it takes. I feel better about making such a major purchase having vetted it in a forum like this first. If anyone has any doubts about the diamond, trivial or otherwise, now's the time to voice your concerns! Ten days from Tuesday, I will be committed (to the stone anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results