shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help on good place and ideas to propose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dfermaint5583

Rough_Rock
I am at Ft. Hood, Texas. My girlfriend and I have been discussing marriage for a while now and we both agree we are ready. 2 things though. She is flying down in a month and we are driving together to Waukegan, a northern suberb of chicago, and i want to propose somewhere between here and there. Either Chicago, or Dallas, or memphis. Somewhere!!!! Any good suggestions? Also I am not going to be able to see her parents before that time since they live in waukegan. Would it be stupid to call and talk to them about me wanting to marry their daughter or should I just wait and let them find out after the proposal? Please help running out of time fast!!!!!

Big_G

Rough_Rock
There are a couple of other Chicago proposal threads on here if you do a search. They are pretty old though, so someone might have some more ideas. Supposedly the Everest restaurant in Chicago is really nice, but really expensive. Their website doesn''t have any prices, but I don''t think it would be hard to drop a couple of bills in there given the look. I''m thinking about proposing in Chicago relatively soon also, so I am also interested if anyone has some new ideas.

http://www.everestrestaurant.com

As far as asking permission, there has been a lot of discussion on that also. I will ask both of my g/f''s parents, but that is a personal choice. I will be asking very close to the proposal date, because I think my g/f''s mom would spill the beans unintentionally. I think her and her daughter have a psychic link.

dfermaint5583

Rough_Rock
I will check that place in dallas out. Also I have met her parents plenty of times, everytime I go home we visit them together. They seem to really like me and the way their daughter and me are together. That is also what my girlfriend says but I do not want to ruin it by not asking her father. Also though he is pretty laid back and modern and think that he might understand the times and the situation I am in. What do you think?

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
oh, you should try out the botanical gardens 30 miles north chicago (actually it's very close to waukegan)... it's a huge, beautiful, romantic park and it's such that you can definitely have your privacy... only thing is that it's sort of pretty hot here right now... but an evening stroll would be nice... just an idea... and if you do it here in the chicago area, then you could ask her parents beforehand or something...

here's the link: Chicago Botanical Garden

dfermaint5583

Rough_Rock
Hey all. I was doing some research and was thinking about maybe going to a nice restaraunt in chicago and then going around the town at night. I would go to Grant Park and go to Buckingham Fountain and propose there. I think that that is a very beautiful place. Been there when I was younger. Also since it is night already I would treat her to a nice hotel in the city. What do you think?

Shay

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like a lovely idea. just a thought... take a camera with you. That way you can have a photo of the place you proposed... or if it has a timer a photo of you 2 right after the proposal. That''s a lovely thing to show your family when you announce the engagement. Good luck and congratulations.
36.gif

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 6:16:55 PM
Author: dfermaint5583
Hey all. I was doing some research and was thinking about maybe going to a nice restaraunt in chicago and then going around the town at night. I would go to Grant Park and go to Buckingham Fountain and propose there. I think that that is a very beautiful place. Been there when I was younger. Also since it is night already I would treat her to a nice hotel in the city. What do you think?
buckingham is still there and grant park as well and it''s still beautiful... sounds nice... also, a walk through the new millenium park, which is just a little north of grant park is nice as well...

artarch_intro.jpg

elephant

Shiny_Rock
OK, a few suggestions for really nice restaurants: Geja''s -- it''s a fondue place -- sort of cramped though, but apparently? one of the top places to propose. Also, MY personal fav. is the Signature Room on the top of the John Hancock Building. That''s where I had my 21st bday party. And I think you can see 5? 4? 3? states from there? Some number like that, but the views from there of Chicago at night are amazing. And the food''s not too shabby either!
2.gif
I''ve also enjoyed the Italian Village, but have not been there for several years, so I don''t really know how it is NOW. If you need a hotel, I would recommend the Hotel Intercontinental in the Tower. BEAUTIFUL. A really lovely view of Lake Michigan. Of course the Drake is always a Chicago tradition too. There is also a restaurant in Lincoln Park (like IN the actual park) that''s nice, I believe -- you could get the garden feel without the sweat! (ew)

HTH -- if you have any questions, let me know.

dfermaint5583

Rough_Rock
Alright I have narrowed it down to the Intercontinental hotel in chicago or the Hotel 71. Has anybody ever experienced hotel 71? How was it? Also I have not decided yet on the place to eat although all of your ideas are in consideration. I would really like to try Geja''s and probably will. then go to the buckingham fountain. I would still like ideas though. Thanks for the help so far.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Navy Pier is always a great place. One of my friends got engaged on the big ferris wheel there.

Navy Pier also has fireworks every Saturday night in the summer -- that would be really neat - go see the fireworks and propose there!

If you want something completely crazy you could always go to Six Flaggs Great America in Gurnee. It''s a huge amusement park and they just opened a big water park there this year.

cznite

Rough_Rock
In 1969 I gave my sweetheat her diamond and asked her to marry me in the middle of a brook, standing on a rock.

We went for a Sunday ride and walked in the Fall woods. I had previously spec''d out a scenic spot and asked her to pose while I took her picture. After taking that one I reached in my pocket and gave her the ring. She said yes and I took another one of her crying over come with emotion. We hugged and after a brief kiss. Told her to sit down on a preselected spot that I had also spec''d out. I ran back to the car got champange and two glasses with blue ribbons. I set my camera on another preselected rock and managed to capture us toasting.

This picture came out great and still is framed in our china closet. The glasses and ribbons attached is also there. Creating memorable milestones like this need to be captured with a photo.

We have gone back to that special rock in the middle of the brook where our promises and desires for each other were expressed some 35 years ago
!

cznite

Rough_Rock
In 1969 I gave my sweetheat her diamond and asked her to marry me in the middle of a brook, standing on a rock.

We went for a Sunday ride and walked in the Fall woods. I had previously spec''d out a scenic spot and asked her to pose while I took her picture. After taking that one I reached in my pocket and gave her the ring. She said yes and I took another one of her crying over come with emotion. We hugged and after a brief kiss. Told her to sit down on a preselected spot that I had also spec''d out. I ran back to the car got champange and two glasses with blue ribbons. I set my camera on another preselected rock and managed to capture us toasting.

This picture came out great and still is framed in our china closet. The glasses and ribbons attached is also there. Creating memorable milestones like this need to be captured with a photo.

We have gone back to that special rock in the middle of the brook where our promises and desires for each other were expressed some 35 years ago!

I am having trouble trying to post my jpg file
39.gif
Will Try Later

cznite

Rough_Rock

We have gone back to that special rock in the middle of the brook where our promises and desires for each other were expressed some 35 years ago!

I am having trouble trying to post my jpg file
39.gif
Will Try Later

dfermaint5583

Rough_Rock
Yeah I have been to Navy Pier once or twice when I lived in the suburbs. I have definately gave it thought but not thinking about that. Really crowded. It is nice however. Did your friend propose on the ferris wheel or next to it? It would be nice but what if it is just bad and drop the ring ? My cincern about that. But I remember the fireworks and would not mind doing that.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
My friend was proposed to on the ferris wheel. They went on a weeknight though (it was the anniversary of when they first met) so it wasn''t really crowded. He kept the ring in the box and didn''t actually put in on her finger until they had reached the ground again.

What about the Adler Planitarium or over by the Shed Aquarium? They have benches right along the water there. Should not be as crowded as Navy Pier.

dfermaint5583

Rough_Rock
Hi again. I have a question. I am getting mixed feelings from everyone about weather or not to propose with or without a ring. What do you guys think and what are the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks a lot.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
My opinion, assuming you haven''t already gotten a ring:

pros: she gets to pick out exactly what she wants; you don''t have to worry whether or not she''ll be happy with what you picked out; can be a fun experience for you two to do together; don''t have to worry about losing the ring
2.gif

cons: less element of surprise of the proposal itself; some ladies may not feel that they are "really" engaged until they get the ring

If you know what type of center stone she likes you can always propose with a solitaire and have her pick out the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results