shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help on a Cushion Cut

Cushion

Rough_Rock
Hello all PSer''s,

I am new at this and needed a little help. I am starting to look for a cushion cut diamond for my gf. She loves the Tiffany Novo ring and I just wanted to get some less biased opinions than those of the sales staff. Also, what type of cushion is in the novo? Also, does Tiffany''s sell loose diamonds that you can then get mounted? I know that there are some people who don''t like paying more just for the brand name and I am one of them, but it''s what she would like and i think would make her happest. So I''m pretty much set on getting it from Tiffany''s. I am in the 20K range as well. Thank you for all your help!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure what your question is - you seem to be set on getting her a Tiffany Novo. Tiffany will not sell their diamonds loose - nor do I know why anyone would want to buy them loose considering they are not the best cut diamonds out there.

The Novo is a modern 8 main cushion. The setting is a pave setting with a basket that I consider rather ugly (but to each their own).

Are you paying more than you have to for the specs? Yes - you will be but it is a Tiffany and only you can determine the worth. I am not against T&CO - I have many T&CO pieces that I absolutely adore.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
as CharmyPoo says, Tiffanys does not sell loose diamonds, you have to buy the complete ring. If you want the Tiffany Novo, Tiffanys is the only place to get this. However, you can get a similar diamond and setting online, if you are open to buying online.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2010 4:23:39 PM
Author:Cushion
Hello all PSer''s,

I am new at this and needed a little help. I am starting to look for a cushion cut diamond for my gf. She loves the Tiffany Novo ring and I just wanted to get some less biased opinions than those of the sales staff. Also, what type of cushion is in the novo? Also, does Tiffany''s sell loose diamonds that you can then get mounted? I know that there are some people who don''t like paying more just for the brand name and I am one of them, but it''s what she would like and i think would make her happest. So I''m pretty much set on getting it from Tiffany''s. I am in the 20K range as well. Thank you for all your help!
Some useful information for you here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2010 4:23:39 PM
Author:Cushion
Hello all PSer''s,

If she has her heart set on a Tiffany ring and you want to make that happen for her, then stick with it. I don''t think Tiffany sell loose diamonds, they are all mounted or you have to have them mounted in one of their settings.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are set on going to tiffany's I suggest going there and letting them work their magic on you. You're paying for it. If you were getting a round there might be useful info you could take with you from here, but for a cushion it is so much of an EYE decision - I'd start using them asap :)

ETA - I swear it sounds like we all went to the same response school girls (and guy) lol
Don't get us wrong - we all know that sometimes a brand name is the deciding factor, just that most of us here know enough about diamonds and tiffany's to believe that the best quality and value isn't what you get with the little blue box.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
hi cushion! congratulation on the upcoming engagement and beginning of the ring purchase process! from your post i noticed that you said "it''s what she would like." by this, did you mean she would like an engagement ring by Tiffany and Co? Or would she like a ring that looks like the Novo made by Tiffany and Co? As everyone else has said, if she''s set on getting a Tiffany ring, then it seems like you don''t have much of a choice. If she likes the Novo design, it''s quite easy to get a ring that is almost identical to the Novo (if not prettier, I agree with Charmy that the basket on the Novo is not very attractive).

If you decide to get something similar to the Novo, then you will find that finding the right cushion may be a challenge. But it''s very helpful that you know what kind of cushion you''re looking for. Finding the setting will be much easier than finding the cushion.

A good discussion with your girlfriend about her preference on a design label will be most useful at this stage. She can also consider this: with your budget of 20K, she can get a Tiffany Novo with a smaller size cushion, or she can get a ring that is almost indistinguishable from the Novo with a much larger cushion that potentially performs better than the Novo :D I personally think Tiffany is grossly overpriced. As someone who owns a larger square modern 8-main cushion that looks a lot like the Novo cushion, I would personally go for the bigger size!

Cushion

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your reply''s. I know that she would prefer a Tiffany ring because of the name, but I don''t think it''s a no to everything else. I think if I can get something of better quality ("sparkles" more in her terms) and is bigger she would like that more. When she first said something about getting only a Tiffany ring she seemed like she wasn''t dead set it. i think i could get something better going with some of the people that have been suggested so far, such as ERD and GOG. I just know she wants something that is in line with a Novo. I have read some other posts and it just seems like so much information and a little overwheliming so far. It also doesn''t help that i want it to be a complete surprise that i''m even looking. I know she is waiting on me to. She always makes comments and I laugh and play it off by saying maybe in a year or so... But I can''t just go ask her exactly what she wants and then get it.

KatrinaLH

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/13/2010 3:07:42 PM
Author: Cushion
Thank you everyone for your reply''s. I know that she would prefer a Tiffany ring because of the name, but I don''t think it''s a no to everything else. I think if I can get something of better quality (''sparkles'' more in her terms) and is bigger she would like that more. When she first said something about getting only a Tiffany ring she seemed like she wasn''t dead set it. i think i could get something better going with some of the people that have been suggested so far, such as ERD and GOG. I just know she wants something that is in line with a Novo. I have read some other posts and it just seems like so much information and a little overwheliming so far. It also doesn''t help that i want it to be a complete surprise that i''m even looking. I know she is waiting on me to. She always makes comments and I laugh and play it off by saying maybe in a year or so... But I can''t just go ask her exactly what she wants and then get it.
If she would prefer a ''Tiffany'' ring, and you are surprising her, i''d get her a tiffany ring.
If she would prefer a ''Tiffany'' ring and you are going shopping for it with her, you could look at different ones and see how she feels/reacts to this suggestions.

Personally I LOVE the Novo, and could not imagine anything else, however it doesn''t seem as though she is as ademant on the ring as I am
1.gif

It also depends if she would tell you what she wants; I am happy to point at it and and ask for it, however she may not be confortable asking for a specific ring?

But then I am rubbish and do not like suprises, and my boyfriend is aware of this, which is why he has promiced me the ring of my dreams, because he is super
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you seen the square cushion H&A from good old gold? I believe those are similar to the Novo and there are MANY pave bands that are similar (or even prettier!)

ETA
link to square cushion H&A

slg47

Ideal_Rock
my recommendation is to see what you can get for your budget at Tiffany vs. online, and then weigh the factors. If you think she would like the bigger ring more, go for it. If you think she would like the Tiffany more, then go for that one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results