shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help making a final decision between 2ct diamonds.

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
First of all, thank you ac117 for helping me finding these diamonds.
Now, I have two final candidates and would like to know which one I should go for it.
I will make a purchase by the end of next week if there is no new candidate.

Both are 2.01ct, F color, VS2, 3X, Strong Fluorescence.
Unfortunately, I cannot get ASET or IS images.

Choice 1: $18,849.95
816519587.jpg
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8615586-2.01-carat-Round-diamond-F-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=8615586&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Choice 2: $19,623 but I will try to price match with B2C
ld07322527.jpg
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07322527?click_id=355344691

I lean toward Choice 2 because
1) It fits ac117 criteria.
table: 54-58
depth: 60-62.3
crown angle: 34-35.0
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

2)I have to pay full price for B2C, but Blue Nile offers 12 months with no interest.

Is there any other concerns purchasing a diamond from BlueNile since it is not Price Scope favorite?
What should I do after receiving the diamond?

Thank you,
Paul

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
Still seeking for a feedback. Can't make a decision. Thank you in advance!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ragrave! Just by the numbers, the second stone is a safer bet. How about ordering an IS viewer and using it once you receive the stone? Otherwise, you could go to a PS recommended independent appraiser who would be able to evaluate the diamond for you.

About the setting, did you choose it or did she? That is a ring that will likely need to be babied. We would also advise you NOT get diamonds on the donut or the prongs since it will be very easy to damage them once she has a wedding band next to it. Lastly, that setting looks to have a knife edge, which some people find very uncomfortable for daily wear. Just some food for thought!

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
ac117|1473184487|4073745 said:
Hi ragrave! Just by the numbers, the second stone is a safer bet. How about ordering an IS viewer and using it once you receive the stone? Otherwise, you could go to a PS recommended independent appraiser who would be able to evaluate the diamond for you.

About the setting, did you choose it or did she? That is a ring that will likely need to be babied. We would also advise you NOT get diamonds on the donut or the prongs since it will be very easy to damage them once she has a wedding band next to it. Lastly, that setting looks to have a knife edge, which some people find very uncomfortable for daily wear. Just some food for thought!

Hi ac117,

Thank again for your opinion. You blew my mind. I have never thought about setting that way. I did choose the setting because it looks very fancy. How about this setting http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/blue-nile-studio-petite-pave-crown-platinum-engagement-ring_50572?track=product&elem=setting???

I got IS image of this one. The image looks very good, but the crown angle is too steep, only 32.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.11-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1984479
Is it worth considering?

2.11 CT, H, VS2, 3X, Strong Blue, HCA 0.9

1984479.jpg

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
ragrave|1473194934|4073816 said:
ac117|1473184487|4073745 said:

Hi ac117,

Thank again for your opinion. You blew my mind. I have never thought about setting that way. I did choose the setting because it looks very fancy. How about this setting http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/blue-nile-studio-petite-pave-crown-platinum-engagement-ring_50572?track=product&elem=setting????

I got IS image of this one. The image looks very good, but the crown angle is too steep, only 32.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.11-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1984479
Is it worth considering?

2.11 CT, H, VS2, 3X, Strong Blue, HCA 0.9

1984479.jpg

Edited: Not too steep but too shallow. Still, the diamond is within BIC range.

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
After searching about BIC in this forum, it looks like PS prefer TIC than BIC. Should I go with the second choice without seeing IS image or with the third choice from JA with perfect IS image?

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
Sorry to keep posting, but really need a final confirmation. My proposal date is 10/8. It will be our 8 year anniversary.
Should I take a risk for 2.01ct from Blue Nile? Paying almost 20k and not seeing ASET or IS image first does concern me. :knockout:

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
If I were you, I would call bluenile and have someone look at the stone to make sure their stone isn't hazy/oily, as fluorescence could do that. I would also try to get a few more percent off. The bank wire was ~19300, so I would tell them if they do 18800 with a wire I will choose them. I would let them know I was on the border between them and James Allen. I wouldn't expect them to match b2cjewels as that is a different stone (not as good). Blue nile has 30 day returns, so you can buy your own idealscope and light source equipment for 50-75$ and check it when it comes in. If it doesn't meet the cut, send it back. That stone is 2 grades better with color; for me, that would be enough of a difference to go the blue nile, especially if you have some time until you propose. With bluenile putting ideal as the cut, it is even above triple excellent. Even if the idealscope is slightly worse than the james allen stone, you are getting 2 colors better.

If you just want to be done with it for sure, take the James Allen stone. It is great and proven. It depends how much time you have and your preference. Either stone is a right answer. If I had a month until I proposed I would go with the blue nile, but it depends on your preferences. Hopefully this helps, and let us know how it turns out :) I just got my own ideal scope a few days ago. It took 2 days shipped priority in the US, so it doesn't take that long to get them in. You can order the light source, tweezers, a cubic zirconia, and the ideal scope all together on the website for the ideal scope. Just some food for thought!

ragrave

Rough_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1473298111|4074221 said:
If I were you, I would call bluenile and have someone look at the stone to make sure their stone isn't hazy/oily, as fluorescence could do that. I would also try to get a few more percent off. The bank wire was ~19300, so I would tell them if they do 18800 with a wire I will choose them. I would let them know I was on the border between them and James Allen. I wouldn't expect them to match b2cjewels as that is a different stone (not as good). Blue nile has 30 day returns, so you can buy your own idealscope and light source equipment for 50-75$ and check it when it comes in. If it doesn't meet the cut, send it back. That stone is 2 grades better with color; for me, that would be enough of a difference to go the blue nile, especially if you have some time until you propose. With bluenile putting ideal as the cut, it is even above triple excellent. Even if the idealscope is slightly worse than the james allen stone, you are getting 2 colors better.

If you just want to be done with it for sure, take the James Allen stone. It is great and proven. It depends how much time you have and your preference. Either stone is a right answer. If I had a month until I proposed I would go with the blue nile, but it depends on your preferences. Hopefully this helps, and let us know how it turns out :) I just got my own ideal scope a few days ago. It took 2 days shipped priority in the US, so it doesn't take that long to get them in. You can order the light source, tweezers, a cubic zirconia, and the ideal scope all together on the website for the ideal scope. Just some food for thought!

Thank you. BN is asking their vendor about price match. I should hear back from them tomorrow. After reading your reply, I agree to go with this stone. Which IS equipment you get? Is it this one? http://ideal-scope.com/product/beginner-scope-kit/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results