shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help, is this a decent price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mboese8

Rough_Rock
I am new to all of this, never having bought a single piece of jewelry before. It is a round cut diamond.

.84 ct Si2 I
6.05 x 3.69
depth 61%
table 58%
symm: good
polish: good
EGL cert.
price $2,400

Any help is appreciated!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone has lots of issues and you can get one with simmilar specs for $1600 listed right here. What more can I say?

Since you are set to spend a reasonable amount on this - it figures, you may want to read a bit through the tutorial here? There are lots of details that need to be considered, beyond the info given on the stone you have posted. Just my opinion, of course.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I found the following three diamonds online . . . your stone is on average 50% more expensive than they are:

Stone 1

Stone 2

Stone 3

Also, EGL is known to be more lenient. GIA and AGS certs are considered to be more reliable. That means that if sent to the GIA, your stone *might* have been graded more like a J I1.

Here is the kind of stone that would give you your money's worth:

0.768 H&A I SI1 GIA cert for $2300

Note: I tried to find some more stones in your range with cut information (I never like to recommend something without knowing its crown and pavilion angles), but there weren't a lot of stones in this size and color/clarity combo. I just didn't want you to think that I'm biased -- I generally try to find an assortment.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your post got me bargain hunting, so here's one find:

0.97cts I SI1, EGL, HCA 1.2, $2500

By crown and pavilion height on the EGL cert, it gets a very high cut quality grade (1.2 HCA). So, in my opinion, even if this is a less rpecise measurememnt, this stone would still be great even if a serious margin for error is allowed. 'Very Good' symetry is also an extra argument for this one... The depth could be a tad less, but it is no disaster as is. The piece looks like a great buy: a stone with great cut proportions but outside the 'ideal' range for which there would be a justified premium.

(BTW: these comments apears in two of my posts).

mboese8

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice, I have gone to over a dozen different jewelers around the area and this was probably the best diamond I looked at and the lowest price. Most of the diamonds are not certified at the same or higher prices. Like I said, I am really a rookie at all of this. The prices on the internet are extremely low compared to what I have looked at, but I do have reserves about buying something like this over the internet. I am curious how a jeweler would react to showing him the prices of similiar diamonds for sale on the internet,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/22/2004 10:06:14 PM mboese8 wrote:

I am curious how a jeweler would react to showing him the prices of similiar diamonds for sale on the internet,----------------

Probaly not all that well: they know many people would end up baying online, so you could hear lots of bad things about doing so. It makes good advertising, I guess, when competition gets critical.

However, that the average is rather more black than white, it does not mean that quite a few internet sellers do not have their own shops well anchored into the ground
1.gif
and make the best of the two worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results