shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help in Oval Cuts between 1.4 to 1.5 carats

NewBeginnings

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! :wavey: After reading along on this forum for last few weeks and opening up my own search of a diamond, I am glad to be a part of the community. I am looking for an oval cut diamond which looks larger than its size but has great shine and falls right under the 1.5 carat mark. I have been having trouble finding ones between 1.45-1.49 ct range. On whiteflash I noticed, they only had stones 1.5 carats or higher. I was wondering if you ever came across an oval diamond right under 1.5 ct that shines very well but also looks larger. My girlfriend prefers an elongated look (we saw stones about 1.6 to 1.8 carat which she really liked but I noticed they all were very different in measurements as some were little fuller looking than others). I know the 1.5 carat and above means an increase in price per carat so I am hopeful in trying to find a stone under 1.5 carat, but if not then 1.5 carat would likely work.

I found two 1.5 carat diamonds on whiteflash (no video or picture available) have the below measurements (L*W*D):
  • 9.23*6.33*3.89mm. Depth 61.4%, Table 63%
  • 9.17*6.39*3.98mm. Depth 62.2%, Table 58%

Two questions I had:

1. Do you believe above diamonds would have high light performance? I am ideally looking to have a stone that is lesser in depth (but not to the point that it takes away from shine) in in order to have greater length and width.
  2. Do you know of any diamonds that may have that larger look but with quality light performance? Or if you knew of a great stone, would you be able to provide their measurements?

Reactions: AV_

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not recommend buying a stone with no video especially an elongated oval. The ones you found on WF are not their stones so there is no guarantee there will be a video.

What is your budget?

Edited to add what color range and clarity do you want?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash does not have ideal cut ovals, so the ones you are finding without picture or video are virtual stones. That means you get zero of the advantages that come from buying in house stones. I would rule those out, bc ovals can ONLY be picked with video and pictires, not with numbers alone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps, look at August vintage ovals. They are the only ideal cut ovals on the market

NewBeginnings

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses! Wow, I think that 1.5 carat @KKJohnson you shared is pretty nice! Although it might be too elongated but I do like it. I will need to see if I can picture what that would look like on a setting.

Specific Parameters: Ideally I'd prefer a VS2 to VS1 clarity grade or an eye clean SI1 grade. Color between F to H. And a ratio between 1.4 to 1.5, ideally near a 1.45 ratio but not hard pressed on it. Length greater than 9mm.

I also noticed on bluenile that symmetry grades of some stones that look good are "very good" while not necessarily stones with "excellent" symmetry being better looking. Is symmetry a factor that determines the stone's brilliance or ability to shine? The cut grade is also there on bluenile, however I thought that oval cuts actually aren't graded by cut or have a cut grade. Should I be looking at the symmetry and cut grades in an oval? If so, what would be the significance of going for the excellent vs. very good symmetry?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Came across this one as well based on the parameters you are looking for

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

A little outside the carat weight and just a bit more $

This is an H color, I know there are some people who are color sensitive and start to see some tint but it should be very light, it you set in a white metal it will help. I really like this one and it is a good price for the weight

NewBeginnings

Rough_Rock
Wow thank you so much @KKJohnson They look really nice. I really do like the one you specially mentioned. Do you think .2 or .3mm in size is a big difference from when you actually have the stone in a setting and on the finger? I wonder if it would be a better deal to go for something right below the 1.5 mark, especially if size difference is not a significant change

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most women these days are loving the slimmer rings, my own is 1.7mm wide and I love it. typically the minimum size recommended is 2mm, but it depends on how hard one with their hands. If your intended wants to wear the rings 24/7 then I wouldn't recommend 1.5mm but if they are removed after working in an office all day then a 1.5mm will be fine. I take my rings off when I get home and work in an office, no yard work with my rings or anything else that could jeopardize the integrity of my rings.

This is a simulator you can play around with and you can see what width you like better on the finger with the diamond measurements of your choice.

I did the top two I liked for comparison but you can change it to what you like.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1.51ct-oval-9.33x6.35x3.83-vs-1.41ct-oval-9.19x6.23x3.91/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In real life most people will notice a .2 (or more) difference in size of a stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results