shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Immediately - Princess Cut Table and Depth %

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oscarvo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi. I am thinking about purchasing the princess cut diamond with the following specs I have listed below. I have been reading all the postings on your forum about table size vs depth. I was wondering, is 76% table size and 72.4% depth too shallow for a princess cut to have a balance of fire and brillance?? Can anyone provide insight on whether or not this is a nice diamond or is the table size too large?? Thanks. Any help is appreicated.

carat: 2.09 F color, VS1
measurement: 7.21 x 6.92 x 5.01 mm

depth: 72.4%
table: 76%
girdle: medium to thick
culet: none
fluorescence: none

polish: very good
symmetry: good

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 4:20:02 PM
Author:oscarvo
Hi. I am thinking about purchasing the princess cut diamond with the following specs I have listed below. I have been reading all the postings on your forum about table size vs depth. I was wondering, is 76% table size and 72.4% depth too shallow for a princess cut to have a balance of fire and brillance?? Can anyone provide insight on whether or not this is a nice diamond or is the table size too large?? Thanks. Any help is appreicated.

carat: 2.09 F color, VS1
measurement: 7.21 x 6.92 x 5.01 mm

depth: 72.4%
table: 76%
girdle: medium to thick
culet: none
fluorescence: none

polish: very good
symmetry: good
Welcome!

Usually the reverse is preferred that the table is less than the depth. However the depth and table do not tell the whole story with Princess shapes, but suffice to say with the table being considerably larger than the depth it is a fair assumption the diamond will not be the best performer. The crown height is probably low which can mean that the diamond will not show a good display of coloured light or fire.

Have you seen this diamond in person or is it with an online vendor? If online, images are essential such as detailed photographs and ASET images in order to evaluate the cut, precision and potential performance however if the diamond is online personally I would look for some others.

Do you particularly want a colourless diamond and VS clarity? It is of course up to what you prefer but if you would consider maybe G or H colour ( GIA/ AGS graded) and VS2 or even a verified eyeclean SI1 clarity then that might broaden the options for you. Also if you have seen the diamond in person and are seriously considering it for purchase, I would recommend you check out some AGS0 cut grade Princess if there is a Jareds near you to see how this one compares. That way you will be comparing diamonds of known cut quality so you will know whether this is the diamond for you or whether to keep looking.

oscarvo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, I have seen the diamond in person and will check it at the store again tomorrow. I''m just worried with all the talk that the depth is suppose to be greater than the table %. Is a 76 % pretty noticeable compared to a 73 or 74% table?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 4:26:06 PM
Author: oscarvo
Yes, I have seen the diamond in person and will check it at the store again tomorrow. I'm just worried with all the talk that the depth is suppose to be greater than the table %. Is a 76 % pretty noticeable compared to a 73 or 74% table?
What you could do if you have time is to order an ASET scope as the diamond is in a store and this would help you evaluate the cut.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

As to the 76% table being noticeable compared to a smaller one, or a Princess which has a smaller table than the depth, the effects can be rather more complex....A larger table can affect the crown height as I noted previously as the diamond will be shallow in this area as a result. Lack of crown height can mean less fire or coloured light, so the diamond may look brilliant in some lights but may be lacking in fire and in other areas. Ideally you want a table which is less than the depth and a good crown height if you are to have a good display of desirable visual properties from a Princess. I do urge you to compare this one with as many others as you can, particularly AGS0 cut grade Princess if you can find some, that way you will know if this diamond is what you are looking for.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed you have 2 threads going for the same diamond, can we keep it to just this one please so you have all your information in one thread, otherwise it gets confusing, thanks!

oscarvo

Rough_Rock
Trade
sorry about the multiple threads. i just noticed it also. it''s my first time using this site so i got a little confused. do stores typically have an ASET or idealscope?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 4:50:23 PM
Author: oscarvo
sorry about the multiple threads. i just noticed it also. it''s my first time using this site so i got a little confused. do stores typically have an ASET or idealscope?
No worries!

Stores do not usually have these tools or images from what I understand - I wish they did but maybe one day these tools will be widely available for the diamond shopper!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results