shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help for diamond pendant, please

Houston

Rough_Rock
hi all, I need some help with a pendant for my wife.

I (she) want to get a diamond solitaire pendant. I've previously given her round brilliant studs from Brian Gavin at Whiteflash (a modest pair of D-0.388 ct-SI1 each but I am very proud of these) and then later a set of princess studs from BGD (E-0.51 ct each-VS2 each, another awesome set). (oddly enough, to my eyes they present themselves as about the same size)

My wife likes the colorless stones. Her Tiffany engagement ring is E (her selection) and later she selected her own round brilliants from 4 unmounted pair that Brian showed us at WF (very interesting experience) and chose the D.

Needless to say, the ring and the two sets of studs are all top quality, if not fantabulous in size. For a pendant I'm looking to get around 3/4 to 1 ct. Platinum setting. D or E. Not too picky on clarity. Want really good cut.

A few questions:

1- I wonder if she's given up some of the flash and color by going to such colorless stones? But then, this is what she likes so I should follow along for a pendant.

2- Is SI2 going too low in clarity, especially as I am thinking of a larger stone than those in the studs?

3- The round brilliants from WF are not H&A but are Ideal cut. Is it worthwhile to trade down to Excellent cut to gain a larger size?

4- Size: is 0.75-0.8 ct a good size? I hold her Tiffany ring up to my neck and I think it's a good size. Would 1 ct be too large? (disclaimer: yes, I realize that 2 ct may not be large enough, haha)

Thank you all for any comments!

Houston

Rough_Rock
For example, I was thinking that this would be a good choice: 0.8 ct, E, SI2, Ideal (GIA). $2504; but then I got put off by the SI2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.800-e-si2-round-diamond-ags-72138695
(the link indicates AGS but the actual cert shows GIA)

But here is a GIA "Excellent", again 0.8 ct, E, SI2 and it's actually a bit more money ($2574), there's no seeming benefit downgrading to "Excellent"
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.800-e-si2-round-diamond-gia-7273791di

This is a nice price range for me. But I have been looking at costlier stones at BGD.

Any comments please?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Houston|1477063138|4089261 said:
For example, I was thinking that this would be a good choice: 0.8 ct, E, SI2, Ideal (GIA). $2504; but then I got put off by the SI2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.800-e-si2-round-diamond-ags-72138695
(the link indicates AGS but the actual cert shows GIA)

But here is a GIA "Excellent", again 0.8 ct, E, SI2 and it's actually a bit more money ($2574), there's no seeming benefit downgrading to "Excellent"
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.800-e-si2-round-diamond-gia-7273791di

This is a nice price range for me. But I have been looking at costlier stones at BGD.

Any comments please?

Those are both virtual stones - not in-house stones like the ones you've bought previously that are precision cut and come with light return images. You can likely get those same stones at any vendor who sells virtual inventory and is why the price is a lot lower than their signature/blue/black lines. I believe BGD will call in those stones for you and evaluate them (for a fee?) but it's a gamble - I don't see the certificates to be able to check the angles, GIA certificates don't usually plot inclusions in stones <1ct, and it's unlikely they are eye clean with the SI2 grade.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Houston|1477063138|4089261 said:
(the link indicates AGS but the actual cert shows GIA)Is it GIA or AGS? GIAs top cut is Excellent not Ideal.

But here is a GIA "Excellent", again 0.8 ct, E, SI2 and it's actually a bit more money ($2574), there's no seeming benefit downgrading to "Excellent"Excellent is the top GIA cut grade/Ideal is the AGS top cut grade.

Any comments please?

I know you are not as concerned with clarity but at these prices I'm sure the stones have visible inclusions that are not attractive.
We usually try to stick with an SI1 or maybe an SI2 with inclusions that could be covered by a prong but you have no idea what
these stones look like since they are virtual stones. Can you call BGD and ask them if they can get pictures of these stones?

In general, if you are trying to stick to the $2500ish price range you should up your clarity to SI1 and lower the color some. Go down
to a G. Or reduce the size of stone you are after. What size is your wife's engagement ring?

Houston

Rough_Rock
well, I pulled the trigger. I bought an 0.8 ct H&A, BGD Signature, SI1, D (AGS triple '0', I guess is how that goes).

Near twice the price but it's 10 times as nice (I just made that up)

Best is that it's in-house and I'll have the pendant in maybe 2 weeks! :dance:

Thank you all for your comments. They had an effect on my decision.

BTW, as has been my experience. BGD is Awesome with their help and service.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Houston|1477085495|4089399 said:
well, I pulled the trigger. I bought an 0.8 ct H&A, BGD Signature, SI1, D (AGS triple '0', I guess is how that goes).

Near twice the price but it's 10 times as nice (I just made that up)

Best is that it's in-house and I'll have the pendant in maybe 2 weeks! :dance:

Thank you all for your comments. They had an effect on my decision.

BTW, as has been my experience. BGD is Awesome with their help and service.

I think this stone will be "fit" in nicely with all the super ideal cut stones she already has...well done Houston!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results