shape
carat
color
clarity

need help finding a small marquise

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping to get some help in picking out a small marquise that I can set E/W in a right hand ring. I want to put it in white gold maybe gypsy set in a kind of wide band. I wear a size 6 ring, mainly because my knuckles are larger, but beneath my knuckle my finger is more like a 5.5 to 5.75. I'm thinking because of my finger size and that I want it E/W that I don't want it more than 8- 8.5 mm long. Does that sound right? I care mostly about cut and clarity and not so much about color but I don't want the stone looking warm in the white gold. I'd also like to keep the cost of the stone under $2k.
Also, these are the stones I've been looking at and I was hoping for some opinions which will truly be appreciated:

_35631.jpg

_35632.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too keen on any of these, save possibly the first

Is a high clarity important to you?

Reactions: AV_
Q

Queenie60

Lookinagain|1450284785|3962293 said:
I'm hoping to get some help in picking out a small marquise that I can set E/W in a right hand ring. I want to put it in white gold maybe gypsy set in a kind of wide band. I wear a size 6 ring, mainly because my knuckles are larger, but beneath my knuckle my finger is more like a 5.5 to 5.75. I'm thinking because of my finger size and that I want it E/W that I don't want it more than 8- 8.5 mm long. Does that sound right? I care mostly about cut and clarity and not so much about color but I don't want the stone looking warm in the white gold. I'd also like to keep the cost of the stone under $2k.
Also, these are the stones I've been looking at and I was hoping for some opinions which will truly be appreciated:

img_1563.jpg

Hi Lookingagain: I had a rhr made a few years ago - here's a picture for your reference. I used a .84 marquise and set it e/w style. Same as you - my right hand ring finger is a size 6 due to the knuckles being larger as I grew older. The size of the stone sits very well on my hand. I'm sure it's not your style however, wanted you to see and know that you're looking at the correct size stone for what you seem to want to achieve. I used a K colored stone with a faint brown tint and had the stone set in rose gold to achieve that "champagne" look. Good luck to you - hope you find the right stone for your project.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
Yes clarity is important but I know that with what is basically a small stone I can go down in clarity. Cut is really what I am most concerned about.

Your ring is lovely. And I appreciate you showing me the photo. Maybe I need to look at stones that are a bit larger?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just to give you some idea of size, here is my EW marquise.

my ring size is 5.5.
the diamond is .90 CT
measurements 8.61 x 5.29 x 3.35mm
ALSO, it is H in color so don't be afraid to drop your color range some. As you can see, it is white!

img_10108.jpg

img_10109.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So based upon the previous comment on size I've decided to bump it up a bit and was wondering what you marquise experts think about this ASET image? Your advise will be truly appreciated.

_35888.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a good ASET for a marquise.

What does the actual stone picture/video look like.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You'll have nice finger coverage with that stone! No pro so i can't comment on the Aset. Pic looks nice, Is there a video of the stone?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No video. Just the photo and ASET. And the GIA certificate. I thought the ASET looked pretty nice too. I'm a bit concerned about the I color, would like at least an H, but this stone had one of the better ASETs (I think). Of course I'm open to suggestions from the fancy cut experts. This stone is at the top of my budget and wouldn't mind finding something a bit less. This one is $4200.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are using standard white gold, not rhodium plated, and not Stuller's X1 or other very white alloy, high color like D/F and maybe even GIA F will stand out very white against it. I'd say look at G / H or even I color range. (J might be too much, considering that the points of marquise concentrate the tint.) I have a couple unplated 14k white gold rings, one a vintage ring from '40s and one I had made from Stuller findings in 2006 or so. They have D/E diamonds in them and the unplated WG turns a little buttery with time. The contrast between that and the stark whiteness of the diamonds makes me think I need to have both rings replated with rhodium.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you. This diamond is an I and I plan on using white gold, but not rhodium plated. I am going to have DK make the ring and he has something that doesn't require rhodium. I can live with a little bit of tint though. Just not too much. I will probably have a bezel setting or gypsy setting, so nothing will be viewed from the side.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this stone which is a bit smaller and less money. I think the ASET looks pretty good but would appreciate comments.

_1421.jpeg

_1422.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lookinagain|1452228577|3972478 said:
I found this stone which is a bit smaller and less money. I think the ASET looks pretty good but would appreciate comments.

Lovely ASET. Truly. Do you have a video or a really image.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy, No video and that is the only image. There is also this idealscope. I may just order it and check it out.
The stone measures 9.66 x 4.68 x 3.08 mm. It has strong blue so I will need to make sure there are no ill effects and also confirm it is eye clean first. I've never had a stone with flouro so not sure what I'll think about that.

_35934.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say I think that's a good choice. I really like it. Let us know what you think!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will Gypsy. I ordered it today. There was also a stone on JA that looked good, but I couldn't get an ASET. I ordered that one too. Higher color and clarity, no flouro, but a bit smaller. I will have them both and can check them out side by side. Then can return one (assuming at least one looks good). Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm looking forward to your observations on the comparison of the two stones.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
an update. I returned the JA stone as it was just too small. I am keeping the one above with the asset and idealscope. It seems to be a nice little diamond. .80ct I, SI1. Here is a photo. I used my phone with an olio clip but can't keep steady enough to get a crisp image. I do think the stone looks fine and seems to have some good sparkle and no problem with the flouro. Now to figure out how I want to set it. I keep changing my mind!

img_10508.jpg

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
It looks pretty! Can't wait to see it when it's in a setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that's so pretty. All these lovely Marquise are making me want one. What is your style in general? To me it seems like your style is very contemporary.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, my style is sometimes contemporary, sometimes traditional and I do like vintage pieces. But my style is NOT frilly. I'm not a hearts or bows person. I love some of the Art Deco marquise rings I'm seeing, but they just aren't me. That's why I was thinking of putting this E/W in of some kind of gypsy setting. If not, I might just halo it like this one in white metal.
I do like this vintage setting and could maybe work out something similar

http://old.erstwhilejewelry.com/product-item/75-carat-vintage-marquise-diamond-engagement-ring/#.VqGA90PZMHo.email

I also like the YG contemporary one below.Not the shank, but the halo, so I thought maybe I could turn that E/W and do a shank with a different shape and make it kind of like a gypsy set ring. I'm all over the place on setting this stone. Unfortunately, I have no artistic talent so sketching something out just isn't working. And I'm not finding anything online that really looks like I want in the gypsy setting style.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to see them.

marq_halo.jpg

0bz1pjnulr12qrffrzhuzswztsja.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Gypsy. I really like some of those and didn't see any of them in my own searches. I really like the last one, the Tiffany. And I also really like the yellow gold one with the halo shown with the pear shaped ring. And also, if I decide not to do E/W I like the one with the N/S orientation with the square sides. I like your picks much better than my own. And that deco one is probably taking the lead. It would be something a bit different that what I already have and the mounting would give the stone a bit more size which I think it can use. Again, thank you so much. This is a big help. I'll post when I decide for sure.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh my word, that Tiffany deco is lovely! :love: Lookinagain, i love the stone you chose, it looks very crisp and sparkly, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! That was my favorite. Here are some additional pictures.

4e48f4b2d9a4331ee9e29817524c7977.jpg

6ca0bcc15fe5f0fb3e82c4c5568035f1.jpg

80bd62ffa5b2c86bd1ed48c0d159d367.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I think I will see if DK thinks he can make it.

Reactions: AV_

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that's a good choice.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting some cold feet on this one. The diamond isn't very big and I have bigger knuckles that mean the ring needs to be about a 6, maybe a 5.75 depending on the width of the shank. I'm concerned that if I follow this Tiffany design the ring will just be too small and just make my knuckle look bigger. So I think I am going to wait a bit and maybe see if I can come up with a modification of the design that will allow a bit more width to the ring so it doesn't appear to be too small for me. Any ideas? If not, I will put on hold until I can get a better idea of the proportions and how it will look. I would love to have this ring made but maybe I just need a larger stone. Not sure.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the dimensions on the marquise you bought?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results