shape
carat
color
clarity

need help fast!!! Have enagament ring, but diamond is set bad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcalifornia

Rough_Rock
I just received the engagement ring I had custom made. It has a 1.24 carat round diamond set with 4 prongs. It is set in platinum and has 5 .05 carat diamonds running down each side. The problem is that the main diamond is set sunken into the ring. The flat part of the diamond is almost flush with the ring. I need to take this to a jeweler to have the main diamond reset. I would like it raised up so it can be seen better from all angles. I sent a picture when I was having it made but I guess it was interpreted wrong.

Does anyone know what the process is for resetting the main diamond? Also if they have to completely rebuild the 4 prong setting will it be noticeable? Do you think the ring will look good once it is fixed?

jcalifornia

Rough_Rock
Can someone please respond with an opinion.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jcalifornia, I'd love to help but ain't good with this sort of problems

Let's hope somebody with jewelry expertise will answer you.

catatonic

Rough_Rock
Where did you have your setting custom made? Most artists will be willing to adjust the setting if you are not happy. Did you have the artist send you sketches or molds they made of the setting before they began the process? If they did and your final product looks unlike the sketches, then they should have no problem refining the setting at no cost. If you did approve the sketches hastily and you are in error, you may have to pay a fee to have it fixed.

Depending on the setting, it may just be a matter of replacing the whole prong head with a more cathedral type one...but the setting style will determine how difficult or easy it will be.

Either way, if its done correctly, you should never be able to tell it was "fixed."

Out of curiosity, who made your setting? And can you attach a photo so a jeweler can best tell you what can be done and who might be able to do it for you?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A photo is necessary to give you any advice.

jcalifornia

Rough_Rock
The Pic is 150k which is too big for this site. If you provide an email address, I can send it to you.

Thanks

jcalifornia

Rough_Rock
Here is the picture. I hope this helps.

JC Ring 1.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
J, they'd either have to solder on longer prongs (which I wouldn't recommend), or cut out the center head completely and solder in a new, higher one. Or recast the ring entirely.

Those are your options. If number 2 is feasible, it probably would be the best way to go. With a good jeweler, you won't even know the work has been done.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Actually I am having longer prones soldered on a solitair tourmalin ring because the stone was cut too deep (compare to a diamond). Rich, why is soldering prones something you would not recommend?

jcalifornia

Rough_Rock
OKAY, so I took the ring to 3 differnet jewelers. They all told me that they can not modify the setting of the diamond. They said the head is part of the ring and they are unable to cut it out and cannot move up the setting of the main diamond. They said the ring would probably look bad if they modified. So, I went out and bought a different setting and now I have an extra setting that is beautiful but no use for. :blackeye:

catatonic

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh....never say there is no use for it! My friend, you will make your lady verrry happy on your one year anniversary when you have a sapphire mounted in that setting! Sapphires are dark so you won't have to worry about it being set low...and damn if that setting won't make a sapphire look awesome! Never fear....there is always a stone to be mounted in a setting...endless one year anniversary gift ideas...or christamas gift ideas...or birthday gift ideas...i think you get the idea! Good luck....and I'm sorry you had to go for a whole new setting! But as long as you got what you wanted in the end....right?

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
I thought the ring as illustrated in the photo looked grand. Some women want a very tall solitaire while others like them more protected. Hope it all worked out well in the end. And sure - drop a saphire in there on some special day and tell her "honey.... this was the original ring I had made - and like you, I couldn't let it go - happy anniversary..."

Getting rings custom done is risky if you've not seen a sample, or are not shown the wax for approval. I recommend going somewhere where you can see designs, or where the designer has a design catalogue, or if it is a fully custom work that you get to see the wax before the ring gets cast.

RubyBleu

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results