shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help! Eye clean or not?

helen matthews

Rough_Rock
Hi. I purchased a diamond today that I saw in person and loved. It’s an SI 1 and I can see the inclusions in photos zoomed in but in person I found it hard to see, especially when moving my finger and the diamond caught the light.

The jeweler says it’s technically not eye clean. I’m starting to have second thoughts but have been searching for a diamond for years and can’t tell if I’m just finding an issue or if this really is something that will drive me crazy. I love this diamond otherwise.

It’s a 2.23 cushion if that helps. I don’t have a video but here are two pics. One super magnified from the jeweler and one on my finger resting in a store setting.

Thoughts?
E237D1FB-5419-4BBF-AD51-032D02BE8CFE.png FAF7C9B9-144C-4FB0-95E6-D444BC6E8C4E.jpeg

helen matthews

Rough_Rock
Well, I can definitely see it in photos. In person, it’s much harder. But I can see it from the side view.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it bother you that much? Are you searching for it all the time? Are you staring at it all the time because the
stone is new (looks to be a lovely stone BTW).

Only you can tell if its something you can accept and not stress about over time. The saying around here is if it bothers
you now it will bother you in the future. I don't necessarily agree with that but I'm pretty forgiving with stones. I look
at them as beauty marks. I* can handle small hard-to-find inclusions but cant handle ones that my eyes can easily go
straight to. YMMV...

Last edited:

helen matthews

Rough_Rock
I don’t have the stone in my possession yet so just looking at photos and can’t help but zoom in and look for the imperfections. The idea of eye clean is a bit strange to me. I’m sure it’s eye clean to my husband but I’m the more discerning one.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Many years ago I got a call from a lady who's husband wanted to buy her a diamond. She wanted a D-E color and had heard that our CBI cuts were incredible. At the time, I had only one E color in the size she wanted and it was an E-I1. (CBI no longer cuts any I1's.)

She asked for a video and I did one for her, and during the video I made a zoom in on the inclusion so I could show her real up close and personal the inclusion that caused the diamond to be an I1.

When she got the video she called me and said she was disappointed as I had not sung in her video.

I said I would make her a new video, and since I knew she was very religious, I would sing for her and do it to the tune of "A Mighty Fortress is My Lord". I made the video, she called in the stone along with five others from other vendors on Pricescope.

I sent a slotted tray with the diamond and she, her husband and her children took turns putting the diamonds randomly on the slotted tray. The only one who could ever see the inclusion was her seven year old who said she liked it best of all because it sparkled more.

Six months later, my wife broke her ankle slipping on ice while on her way to work. The children of my client made a delightful video singing a get well message to her to the tune of "Me and Mrs. Jones."

Long story short: Put me in the Garry Holloway category. If the sparkle of the ring makes your eyes happy, enjoy your new treasure.

Wink

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago I got a call from a lady who's husband wanted to buy her a diamond. She wanted a D-E color and had heard that our CBI cuts were incredible. At the time, I had only one E color in the size she wanted and it was an E-I1. (CBI no longer cuts any I1's.)

She asked for a video and I did one for her, and during the video I made a zoom in on the inclusion so I could show her real up close and personal the inclusion that caused the diamond to be an I1.

When she got the video she called me and said she was disappointed as I had not sung in her video.

I said I would make her a new video, and since I knew she was very religious, I would sing for her and do it to the tune of "A Mighty Fortress is My Lord". I made the video, she called in the stone along with five others from other vendors on Pricescope.

I sent a slotted tray with the diamond and she, her husband and her children took turns putting the diamonds randomly on the slotted tray. The only one who could ever see the inclusion was her seven year old who said she liked it best of all because it sparkled more.

Six months later, my wife broke her ankle slipping on ice while on her way to work. The children of my client made a delightful video singing a get well message to her to the tune of "Me and Mrs. Jones."

Long story short: Put me in the Garry Holloway category. If the sparkle of the ring makes your eyes happy, enjoy your new treasure.

Wink

So sweet. I wish CBI still cut lower clarity and color stones. Love the weird ones so much:)

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only you can say if it will bother you or not. Personally, once I see something, I can't not see it, so I shop accordingly. My suggestion would be to view it in in every lighting source you can think of, and at various angles. That way you'll know if it's for you or not. Good luck!

Last edited:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Diamond Girl 21 and the others. I once had a stud and I knew there was a single small carbon flaw. It drove me bananas. Could the naked eye see it. NO, did any one else ever see it NO. But I knew it was there and that was it. Had to upgrade

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I have a SI1, and a SI2, and a IF. I can see the inclusion on the SI1, but not the SI2. The inclusion on the SI1 makes me happy because the diamond is full of fond memories, and I can stare at my tiny crystal dead center in the table and remember how my hubby spent every last penny on that diamond for me when we were babies.

I can't see the SI2 inclusion, even though it's huge, because the facets are so flashy that it practically blinds me before I can make it out.

In a weird way, my IF bothers me because I CAN'T see any inclusions, because there aren't any. I look and look knowing there's nothing there, and feel perturbed.

For me, the love and sentimentality of the diamond trump any inclusions. The meaning, experience and love that is behind the stone trumps any visual disparities.

Do whatever is gonna make you happy every day as you stare at your new diamond. :)

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
For me, the love and sentimentality of the diamond trump any inclusions. The meaning, experience and love that is behind the stone trumps any visual disparities.

Do whatever is gonna make you happy every day as you stare at your new diamond. :)

I love this.

Wink

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Diamond Girl 21 and the others. I once had a stud and I knew there was a single small carbon flaw. It drove me bananas. Could the naked eye see it. NO, did any one else ever see it NO. But I knew it was there and that was it. Had to upgrade

That is called MIND CLEAN ;-)

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
That is called MIND CLEAN ;-)

Regarding fluorescence. My one stud has strong blue in an H sI1 3x and guess what i went right into one of my Escape Rooms that i run and turned on all the UV lights and celebrated my fluorescent earring. Nah Sayers. who said don't buy a stone with fluoresce are just trying to get you to buy their stuff.
I love my studs

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Regarding fluorescence. My one stud has strong blue in an H sI1 3x and guess what i went right into one of my Escape Rooms that i run and turned on all the UV lights and celebrated my fluorescent earring. Nah Sayers. who said don't buy a stone with fluoresce are just trying to get you to buy their stuff.
I love my studs

:) Some of the most beautiful diamonds i have ever had or seen are strong blue

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mind clean is a dynamic term for many people, which complicates matters.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mind clean is a dynamic term for many people, which complicates matters.

Eyeclean is too. Some people (shortsighted) look from 6 inches 15cm and others (prysobia) from 18 inches 45cm.
Those differences are not only inclusion and virtual facets - they are also binocular brilliance related.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I think you invented it!
Come to Melbourne in 2024 and we will celebrate 20 years of your invention DF!

Yeah, we can celebrate your 25 yrs. of HCA invention at the same time. :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results