shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help evaluating oval bow tie and stone quality (pics included)

diamondlover90

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I'm looking to purchase a ring from a local jeweler that sells lab diamonds. They unfortunately do not provide ASET images which I'm realizing from this forum are important in determining how the light is reflected through the stone (and in determining bow-tie). I am not against a bow tie, I just don't want a "bad" one. I really liked this stone we saw in person and when I looked at it by the window in store it did not appear to have a bow tie at all, but when I took these images in the store it showed one. I just wanted feedback on how severe this bow tie is and how the facets appear on the stone. I do not have any idea on what to look for and can not tell if a stone is "good" or not. To me it looked shiny and nice but I don't know! Any advice is helpful! Specs are 1.2 carat, depth: 62.9, table: 62.5, VVS1, G

thumbnail_IMG_5881.jpeg thumbnail_IMG_5878.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a bow tie. Will it bother you?

diamondlover90

Rough_Rock
I see a bow tie. Will it bother you?

I don't think so, but I'm concerned that I didn't notice it in person but it shows up in my photo. Why is that? I've seen bow tie's that are very dark/black in color and those I do not care for. I feel like the one in my photo is more gray so I'm less bothered by it. I'm just afraid the ring will arrive in the setting and it will suddenly be more noticeable than when I saw the stone loose in the store. Should I just keeping looking? I'm just not sure how much I want to keep looking if it means having to go back to the store multiple times when in person this stone looked beautiful to me. I don't know if I actually care or am over thinking everything because so many people hate bow ties I don't want to have an undesirable stone.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you have some bright colored paper to bring to the jeweler with you, set the diamond on top of it. How much colored paper you can see through the top...crown and table area...will help you determine how much windowing (areas that result in light leakage) there is. Not nearly as accurate and telling as an ASET, but will at least give you some hints and indicators.
Be sure to view the diamond in various lighting conditions while not wearing dark clothing...even dark painted walls/ceiling, a dark phone or camera case, etc can cause the diamond to appear bowtied when there may be none to minor bowtie. You can create your own indirect lighting by holding a piece of white paper above the diamond to create a shaded zone...that should also be done while it is sitting on the colored paper.

diamondlover90

Rough_Rock
If you have some bright colored paper to bring to the jeweler with you, set the diamond on top of it. How much colored paper you can see through the top...crown and table area...will help you determine how much windowing (areas that result in light leakage) there is. Not nearly as accurate and telling as an ASET, but will at least give you some hints and indicators.
Be sure to view the diamond in various lighting conditions while not wearing dark clothing...even dark painted walls/ceiling, a dark phone or camera case, etc can cause the diamond to appear bowtied when there may be none to minor bowtie. You can create your own indirect lighting by holding a piece of white paper above the diamond to create a shaded zone...that should also be done while it is sitting on the colored paper.

Thanks so much for this feedback! I plan on going back to look at it again. From the pictures I posted do you think the bowtie looks acceptable or is it too hard to tell?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for this feedback! I plan on going back to look at it again. From the pictures I posted do you think the bowtie looks acceptable or is it too hard to tell?

You're welcome!
It's too hard to tell, unfortunately.
May be fine, may be excessive... inconclusive to my eyes.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to tell from the photos. Can you get a picture that is much closer and straight on? That may help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results