shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing Pearl strand for mom!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

restheo

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
Here''s the story: my mom had a very, very nice set of pearls for many years. But for my sister''s wedding, she gave them to her as a gift. If I remember correctly, it was a long strand of pearls, which you could wrap over twice. They weren''t huge, but they were really beautiful and just perfect. These were my mom''s "signature piece", and while I don''t really know why she gave them to my sister (they aren''t close), I respect her decision.

So, for christmas, I''d like to get my mom another string of pearls. She has a couple cheapies from walmart, but they look just awful. No luster at all. I know I can''t afford to replace her pearls with ones identical to hers, but I''d like to get her a nice strand that is of good quality. I saw many of you guy''s reviews on places like Pearllunar and Chuyun jewelers, and when I checked them out, they did look very pretty, so I need some advice:

When picking the "tone" of the pearl, how do I pick which one is best? My mom''s pearls were white with sort of rosy undertones, and her skin has red undertones as well. But I don''t know if that means that rosy undertones would be best, or if I should pick something with silvery undertones instead, or blue undertones, to contrast with her skin!

Also, if you guys know of any other reputable e-bay pearl vendors who sell for good prices, let me know! I''d like to spend around 100 dollars (being a poor college student), but I''d be willing to go a little higher for something that''s just right.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

restheo

Rough_Rock
I like them, but my mom has a sort of classic style. I''m not sure she''d dig the multicolor.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I'm awful with skintones and things like that, but I'm liking the silvery blue necklace, but that's just what I'm attracted to.
Not sure if your mom, who you've said sticks to the classics, would like the blue/silver strand.
I think I would go with either of the first two strands, you just have to decide which size she would like and how much you're willing to spend.

Does your mom like rice pearls? http://cgi.ebay.com/66inches-LUSTROUS-NATURAL-white-8-9mm-pearl-necklace_W0QQitemZ390070411092QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants?hash=item5ad2021f54

ETA: or maybe these? http://cgi.ebay.com/AAA-3Row-7-8mm-Natural-Snow-white-round-pearl-necklace_W0QQitemZ390032187237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants?hash=item5acfbadf65

sorry I don't know how to make them clicky!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 1:40:47 PM
Author: restheo
I like them, but my mom has a sort of classic style. I''m not sure she''d dig the multicolor.
I would stick with the first two as well if she has more of the classic taste and any variations of colors she might not think it fine?

restheo

Rough_Rock
I actually bit the bullet and made an offer on two necklaces...not expecting them to be accepted because I bid about 30% less than what they were asking...but they accepted BOTH offers!!!

Here are the ones I won:
1st Strand

2nd strand

I really didn''t expect to win both, what do you think?

Comes out to about $100 for both...is that too much?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
For your mother I''d go with some place like pearlparadise.com
They are very helpful on the phone and can talk to you about overtones and they have a 90 day return policy. If you want the best ones they have heck out the freshadamas.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
This page has a few that might be in your price range.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Under-250293.aspx

Maybe you could do a AAA white 18 inch strand for $114. They would probably be very good quality.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/60-70-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace534.aspx

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 4:37:32 PM
Author: restheo
I actually bit the bullet and made an offer on two necklaces...not expecting them to be accepted because I bid about 30% less than what they were asking...but they accepted BOTH offers!!!

Here are the ones I won:
1st Strand

2nd strand

I really didn''t expect to win both, what do you think?

Comes out to about $100 for both...is that too much?
I think they''ll be beautiful, I have a few of their strands and I love their quality versus what you could find at the mall any day for less.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oops. I see you already won some auctions. I think they will be nice pearls. Pearllunar has nice pearls at good prices but they take a while to get here and returning them if they aren't perfect can be a challenge. Next time you might want to consider one of the other non ebay vendors just to try them out and see what you think.

I hope the pearls you get are super pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results