shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help buying loop?

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
Looking to receive a diamond soon and we have been looking at jewelers loops to inspect it once we receive it. They will be sending out idealscope images and ASETs So we don’t need some big fancy tool kit. We just want to make sure we will be able to properly view the diamond and the setting. I see most are 30x magnification is that the one to go with? What do all of you use? Are there brands to avoid? Thank you.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 10X loupe is the most common loupe for diamond grading and examination. That is a power of what most jewelers use. Sometimes stronger magnification is required for viewing a laser girdle inscription, but a lot of consumers are not able to see it well even with a 30x loupe. It is just easier to read in a binocular microscope. 30x requires very steady hands and a hand held loupe can pose a challenge. I use 10x for most initial examination and every once in a while use a 30x loupe before going to my microscope.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 10x Belomo triplet and I love it. It feels solidly made and does the job.
+1 This is what I have and I like it. I've tried hunting down a 20x or 30x of the same quality, but have been unsuccessful....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, A 30X loupe is useless. If I need to check the girdle inscription I use a 40X microscope.

IMG_0420.JPG
DSCN0838.JPG

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 on the Belomo 10X recommendation by @JPie. We have many Belomo 10X loupes in our lab which I use frequently, and I also have one at home for personal use. It's the best loupe for under $200 (there are several loupes in the $300+ range that may be marginally better, but most people won't be able to tell the difference).

And I agree with @Dancing Fire regarding the uselessness of a 30X loupe. We have a few 20X and 30X loupes in our lab as well, but we never use them. They're maddening to use, as it's damn near impossible to keep anything within the field of view unless you have the steadiness of a neurosurgeon. 10X loupes are great for general viewing, but for anything beyond 10X I always use a microscope.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results