shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help buying a diamond:))

andalib

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody!

I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate your help. I am looking into purchasing a round diamond. The color should not be below H and the size not less than 1.2ct. My budget for the diamond only is around 9k. I found this “gem” :) and obtained the GIA report. Does it pass your strict requirements? I ran the specs through the HCA on the main page and it scored 1.2 if I remember correctly. It is the first time I heard of that tool or used it, so it does not mean much to me.

I will attach the screenshot of the report.

Thank you for all your advice!
a. 48D89D7B-B86F-4AB2-91A3-C6D45371EF00.png

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Andalib,

This particular diamond looks great on paper. I like the fact that it’s a 1.25ct which gets you nearer the diameter of a 1.5ct diamond at a lower price point. The specs fall within the popular Ideal ranges here which can result in a gorgeous stone. The crown and pavilion angles are complimentary so the stone should theoretically refract light nicely. I also like the shallower LGFs which should result in beautiful, visible arrows in the top view of the diamond although this is a matter of preference a bit.

I wouldn’t worry about the additional clouds comment on this particular diamond since it’s a VS1.

Keep in mind that GIA rounds some proportions on the lab report such as the crown angle which is rounded to 0.5° Ie. 34.0° , 34.5°, 35.0° etc.

One thing not visible in a lab report is the optical symmetry of a diamond. Optical symmetry will show you whether the facets are tuned together in 3d space. I would recommend taking a look at actual ASET, IdealScope and if possible hearts scope images to complete the rest of the puzzle for you.

Ciao

andalib

Rough_Rock
Wow, that was quite helpful and informative!! I did worry about the additional clouds, so thank you for mentioning that as well. Also, I did not know that GIA rounds some proportions, so something to keep in mind.

Now to ASET and IdealScope, hmm sadly I had to google it. Since it is a diamond graded by GIA, and not AGS, there is no ASET, right?! How about IdealScope? I do see the heart and arrows pictures on the seller’s website, but most of them look fine to me anyway lol. Here they are for this particular diamond.
E66AF50D-B1D4-4C58-B4C1-BE432C9CC050.png 11B1D577-8C20-47A5-B7BA-747E6CD40BF4.png

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Idk if it applies to round so much but I learned very recently that you really really need to see a diamond in person.
I was shown a heart diamond (before I got mine) that was supposed to be d color & IF according to the gia report.
The vendor showed it to me and the cut was so shallow & there was a facet right across the center of the face that looked like a huge crack!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results