shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED HELP ASSESSING PEAR DIAMOND!!!

Spacewalkee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I need help reviewing this pear diamond which I'm considering for an engagement ring for my significant other. I'm new when it comes to evaluating stones so I wanted a second opinion from this lovely group. I was wondering what you guys/gals think of this diamond's brilliance and whether you think there is any milkyness / cloudiness to it (I'm not really sure how to assess cloudiness). I think it looks good from most angles and lighting (so-so on video #4) but I think I see a little cloudiness in the center of the table when I view the diamond on a 45 degree angle (will need to zoom in to see this). Below are 5 links to dropbox containing videos in various lightings / settings (I didn't know how to share videos on the forum so I opened the dropbox). Viewing the videos through dropbox isn't great quality so it might be better to download them. Any help / advice / thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I also included the specs of the diamond below. Thanks so much!

Diamond Specs:
Carat: 1.63ct
Color: E
Clarity SI2
LxWxH: 11.25mm x 6.51mm x 4.06mm
Depth: 62.4%
Table: ~60%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thin

Videos (I didn't know how to share videos on this forum so I opened a drobox):
Jewelry Store Lighting #1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad0dn5k9xkqjibb/Video 1.mp4?dl=0
Jewelry Store Lighting #2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99vnfu6lsw7smos/Video 2.MOV?dl=0
Normal Lighting Near Window #3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4drweluolxbpc0v/Video 3.MOV?dl=0
Normal Lighting Near Window #4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8vhbrxkv86n92x/Video 4.MOV?dl=0
Outside Lighting, Bright Daylight #5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h40ubo0z92i8h8i/Video 5.MOV?dl=0

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant really say much because the videos arent that great. In some videos, it does look like
the rounded end has some nice facets that are returning light nicely. You don't want to see
any large facets through the center that are dark and stay dark for a good portion of the time.

What is the first few items listed on the clarity plot? Can you link the report?

Stones are not evaluated at a 45-degree angle so I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on that.

Spacewalkee

Rough_Rock
I cant really say much because the videos arent that great. In some videos, it does look like
the rounded end has some nice facets that are returning light nicely. You don't want to see
any large facets through the center that are dark and stay dark for a good portion of the time.

What is the first few items listed on the clarity plot? Can you link the report?

Stones are not evaluated at a 45-degree angle so I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on that.
Thanks for responding! The videos appear to lose some quality when viewed through the dropbox website. Can you try downloading them from the links to see if the quality is any better?

The diamond is not currently certified as its an estate diamond. I would get it certified by GIA before purchasing (the jeweler confirmed this was okay). Because of this, I can't answer the first few items listed on the clarity plot.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, no, I dont download.

Yes, please make sure it is graded by GIA before you agree on a price. Right now you don't know what you are buying (color/clarity etc).
Just don't want you to overpay and without a grading report, it is difficult to know. The seller should not require that you put any money
down before they have it graded!

Have you checked out James Allen, Blue Nile, and Adiamor?

What are they asking for the stone?

Spacewalkee

Rough_Rock
Is there a way to share / embed videos directly within the text of this forum? I've only seen pictures and there doesn't appear to be a way to attach videos as the format is not supported.

The asking price is around $8K-$10K. I have looked at Blue Nile but its tough to determine brilliance.

jewels4life

Shiny_Rock
Is there a way to share / embed videos directly within the text of this forum? I've only seen pictures and there doesn't appear to be a way to attach videos as the format is not supported.

The asking price is around $8K-$10K. I have looked at Blue Nile but its tough to determine brilliance.

I’d make a Flickr account. From there, you can upload any videos and then just copy and paste the direct link in your thread . That’s what I’ve personally done to share videos. Hope this helps :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These videos are not up close enough. We are used to seeing videos like what you see at James Allen and Blue Nile.

It looks like it might have potential but that's all I can say. Ask the jeweler for an ASET image.

Spacewalkee

Rough_Rock
Thanks! If the jeweler doesn’t have an ASET image what is the best way to get one?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spacewalkee

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I got the GIA report back on this diamond. I won't be able to get an ASET image but was wondering if anyone had additional thoughts based on the report. See attached. GIA # listed below.

GIA #: 6223592260

Attachments

• GIA Report_6223592260.pdf
    513.9 KB · Views: 18
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results