shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help assessing old mine cut GIA cert. Cause for concern at VS2?

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
As the title states, this cert is for a VS2 stone a little over 1 carat.

Should there be any worries with the stone as far as structural integrity? It seems to have quite a few chips, and then of course the naturals. I’m wondering if this is pretty par for the course with most antique stones that haven’t been repolished, or if there is any cause for concern from a wear/tear or aesthetic standpoint.
5141CDED-BBDD-47DC-B9B8-E1B9DA85BE20.jpeg F5CB975D-9545-4961-956B-5D4F8A1BCBA5.jpeg

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I also might go ahead and post this on the antique jewelry section. I want to say the stone would be ok, but I’m not 100% sure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How will you be setting it?
What is the girdle rating?

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
How will you be setting it?
What is the girdle rating?
It is already set currently. But is being sold loose or set. The girdle says extremely thin to very thick.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok in my opinion it needs a bezel setting and extreme care putting it in one if it isn't in one already.
If its in one already it needs to be checked for signs of damage.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Would guess that some of the pinpricks are a century worth of wear, and the ones next to the girdle could have been produced during cutting. Its current state shows how it will wear further.

I would want to know if the red line crossing the kite facet at 12 o'clock is anything obvious - guessing that it is a feather (relating to the extra facet), but the notation on the chart is odd (it shouldn't be a straight line).

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, this is typical of an antique cut diamond. The girdle on this diamond looks far “better” than some other extremely thin to very thick antique diamonds I’ve seen. There are no obvious flea bites, there is little obvious bruting damage. The inclusions on the plot seem to be barely visible even in the magnified version.

The cut is typical of antique old mine cushions. The cut is slightly asymmetrical, especially visible on the table. You should check out in person to see if you like the balance of the facets and light return. I think the cut may be your biggest concern. Make sure you like it, and it’s what you want in an antique style cut. A newly cut stone will be perfectly symmetrical and will have perfect light return. Just a choice you’ll need to make.

I love the color of this diamond and the E-W setting. I think it looks pretty in the setting and if you think the setting is something you’d wear, buying a stone set can save you a lot of hassle and money.

Good luck, I’d check this one out.

Last edited:

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Looks like someone ended up buying this one. Not me unfortunately if a PSer bought this, please post some photos when you receive it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results