shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help antique cushion halo

SailorMan

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I've been reading through some past post regarding cushions and halo. Thanks charmypoo for the post it was a great help to start my search.

My girlfriend finger size is 3.5 and I would like to get her something that she would love.

My question is what carat should I be looking at if I want to maximise coverage but not ridiculous for an antique cushion in a halo setting?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I would be more worried about the budget you're comfortable with and less worried about meeting a specific carat weight. If your budget allows for a carat weight that you want, then that is perfect! But you want to make sure you have a reasonable budget for you. What is your budget?

SailorMan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your respond. I don't really have a budget as such. All I know is that the diamond has to be in the D-F range color, VS1-2 and over 1 carat.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have no budget at all? Usually people have a ballpark, 5k 10k 30k?

SailorMan

Rough_Rock
Hmm if I have to put a budget, it would be 20-25k. But I can go up or down.

The main concern for me is the size and how it would look on her finger.

I haven't really seen that many examples of size 3.5 with a cushion halo setting to determine what's a good size.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.5 ct cushion halo and my friends think it is huge. It really all depends on your social circle and what she is comfortable wearing. I remember when I first wore the 1.5 ct cushion ... I thought it was too big. I now wear a 1.7 ct cushion with no halo and like the size for daily wear. I am going up to a 2.5 ct round soon. My finger is just under a size 3.

Cushion halo on a finger under size 3.
CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Handshot8.jpg

CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Handshot6.jpg

CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Handshot1.jpg

And if you want a bit stupid looking, this is what happens with a 2.5ct ring with a really blingy halo.
charmypoo-handshota.jpg

And this is my e-ring which is a 1.7ct.
CharmyPoo-Leon-Handshot1.jpg

SailorMan

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
I have a 1.5 ct cushion halo and my friends think it is huge. It really all depends on your social circle and what she is comfortable wearing. I remember when I first wore the 1.5 ct cushion ... I thought it was too big. I now wear a 1.7 ct cushion with no halo and like the size for daily wear. I am going up to a 2.5 ct round soon. My finger is just under a size 3.

Cushion halo on a finger under size 3.
CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Handshot8.jpg

CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Handshot6.jpg

CharmyPoo-MaytalHannah-Handshot1.jpg

And if you want a bit stupid looking, this is what happens with a 2.5ct ring with a really blingy halo.
charmypoo-handshota.jpg

And this is my e-ring which is a 1.7ct.
CharmyPoo-Leon-Handshot1.jpg

You are very helpful! This exactly what I was looking for.

Do you mind sharing the dimension for your cushion 1.5 and 1.7.

The halo ring on you, looks perfect in my eyes. I need to just caliberate the size for a 3.5 finger size!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
A 3.5 will almost be identical to my finger visually. I don't remember the measurements but if you look at my threads
.. You will find them. I believe mid 7.x.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Just be careful with who does the halo. I think, especially on smaller sized fingers, that halos can look VERY tacky if not done correctly or the proportions are off. For that finger size I would do a 1.5-2ct center diamond. For the halo since you have the budget I would have Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch make the setting. It will cost about 4-6k but it will be well worth it!

I don't have any pictures but my neighbor has a HW inspired halo on her size 3 finger. The diamond is just under 2cts and it looks amazing on her finger. Substanial but still delicate and femimine with it's presense.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll second the idea of having Victor make the ring with that diamond Niel linked. It would be gorgeous! And honestly, I would grab it because you don't know how rare these beautiful newly cut antique cushions are.

The other option is a stone from Good Old Gold and setting by Steven Kirsch, but I am not seeing a D-F VS in the 1.5 ct range in that price range.

SailorMan

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
A 3.5 will almost be identical to my finger visually. I don't remember the measurements but if you look at my threads
.. You will find them. I believe mid 7.x.
thanks! I've checked your post the dimensions for the 1.5 is 6.87 x6.83 x 4.66

The 1.7 is 7.19 x 7.20, 4.57. The cushions you have are more square which is I think quite attractive!

Niel said:
Here's a really nice stone at VC, and you could get a really amazing setting made from him too, get it all in one place makes it easy.

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/2be53z
thanks Neil this a nice stone but looks a bit more rectangular 7.33 x 6.86 x 4.61

Is there a disadvantage or advantage with a rectangular dimensions for cushion?

Sarahbear621 said:
Just be careful with who does the halo. I think, especially on smaller sized fingers, that halos can look VERY tacky if not done correctly or the proportions are off. For that finger size I would do a 1.5-2ct center diamond. For the halo since you have the budget I would have Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch make the setting. It will cost about 4-6k but it will be well worth it!

I don't have any pictures but my neighbor has a HW inspired halo on her size 3 finger. The diamond is just under 2cts and it looks amazing on her finger. Substanial but still delicate and femimine with it's presense.

I've read reviews about Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch they have some raving reviews. I will definitely consider them once I'm at that stage.
diamondseeker2006 said:
I'll second the idea of having Victor make the ring with that diamond Niel linked. It would be gorgeous! And honestly, I would grab it because you don't know how rare these beautiful newly cut antique cushions are.

The other option is a stone from Good Old Gold and setting by Steven Kirsch, but I am not seeing a D-F VS in the 1.5 ct range in that price range.

Just checked gold old gold. Why are their prices more expensive than what I've seen so far? I've been to ERD, James Allen and Blue Nile and its not as expensive as good old gold

SB621

Ideal_Rock
GOG is more expensive because their AVC are branded cushions. In other words they paid to research, market etc etc this particular cut. You can read about branded diamonds in charmy's post.

EDIT- there is no advantage to more retangular or cushion or pillowy type of cushions. It is all personal preference on what you like. And for what it is worth i think the diamond Niel linked to is stunning. If you pass it up I doubt you will be able to do better. I would not consider this rectangular at all.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don't think there is an advantage or not for a rectangular vs square cushion. Its personal preference.

If there is an advantage to a rectangular one is it kind of elongates the finger. That one and good old gold antique cushion are cut for optimal light performance. That's why they are more expensive. To me though the VC seems a good price for your color cut and clarity.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Oops... wrong thread. I was on my tiny phone :razz:

On to cushions, I guess my diamonds are smaller than I thought! I have lost all concept of size.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1369310851|3452358 said:
Here's a really nice stone at VC, and you could get a really amazing setting made from him too, get it all in one place makes it easy.

This VC stone is very nice.

Here is a G color generic Old mine cut and more square:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8188/

This one is nice too and has a Tacori 2620 setting that fits it. the 2620 has a sub halo which is very understated and very popular antique setting.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8913/

SailorMan

Rough_Rock
Sarahbear621 said:
GOG is more expensive because their AVC are branded cushions. In other words they paid to research, market etc etc this particular cut. You can read about branded diamonds in charmy's post.

EDIT- there is no advantage to more retangular or cushion or pillowy type of cushions. It is all personal preference on what you like. And for what it is worth i think the diamond Niel linked to is stunning. If you pass it up I doubt you will be able to do better. I would not consider this rectangular at all.
thanks SarahBear. Will definitely consider the options. Is there much difference between avc, canera diamonds and the one from ERD?
Niel said:
No I don't think there is an advantage or not for a rectangular vs square cushion. Its personal preference.

If there is an advantage to a rectangular one is it kind of elongates the finger. That one and good old gold antique cushion are cut for optimal light performance. That's why they are more expensive. To me though the VC seems a good price for your color cut and clarity.
thanks Neil it does seem like the VC is better in terms of size and price

ariel144 said:
Niel|1369310851|3452358 said:

This VC stone is very nice.

Here is a G color generic Old mine cut and more square:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8188/

This one is nice too and has a Tacori 2620 setting that fits it. the 2620 has a sub halo which is very understated and very popular antique setting.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8913/
thanks they are both nice diamonds but do not fall within my preference of D-F, VS quality.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thick vc and gog AVCs have better performance, erd and vc have better pricing for that type of cut. So I think vc is the best of both worlds

Id really think hard before passing that stone up. You aren't going to get a better one at that price. Especially at that high of color/clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results