carat
color
clarity

Need Feedback on AVR 2.01 L - Calling PS Veterans

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS,

I'm looking at this AVR as my upgrade.
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/co...ucts/2-01ct-l-si1-august-vintage-european-cut

AGS Cert Here:
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104097517001-GDQRNC.PDF

As my tastes have expanded with exposure to the greater PS community my love for vintage stones have grown. Based on the video the L color is higher looking than I expected (I like the antique lace tint), I know this can only be truly reviewed in person, but I'm feeling positive.

The inclusions appear to be under the facet on the side, but when I watch the video I'm seeing something under the table. Is this a reflection? Does anyone have any experience with this?

What else should I be looking at? Other concerns or things to be aware of? I'm a little gitty at the moment and need voices of reason and level heads!

Slide1.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching the video it looks like whatever is in the 8pm position on that diagram is reflecting in the 2pm pavilion facet. What does the clarity plot suggest should be there?
I like the stone a lot even with that - it's a good size and the face up pattern is lovely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have one similar to that. It's an O VVS 2.1 cts and 8.1mm. I think they are beautiful in all colors particularly of the undertone is yellow. Mine appears to be a pretty champagne color, not really yellow. You have to get much lower in color to be able to say a stone is yellow.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Watching the video it looks like whatever is in the 8pm position on that diagram is reflecting in the 2pm pavilion facet.
That's right. What @Volvoqueen is seeing is exactly this.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
I'm sending for the stone and will look at it in person to see what I can spy with my little eye. Jonathan says it is a reflection and is eye clean under the table, but is visible under macro photography.

When he pointed that out I had to take a breath and wait to see in person.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks beautiful in the video. L does not look yellow to me. I have a K OEC. When I look at K, L vintage cuts, I just think of them as more "there". As to the little dot you see, I think it is a reflection of another inclusion, but as to how much you can see it or notice it IRL, you would just have to see it yourself. Can you get the stone, and then just spend time with it and get to know it? GOG has a return policy if I remember correctly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone is through August Vintage, and the return policy is 15 days.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Yep, hoping to get the stone shipped this week, then will have more pictures and give my face to facet first impressions.

I've got K studs, I've tried really hard, and struggle to find a tint in them. They are ACA Whiteflash, so that helps. It is funny because for work I'm looking at colors of different materials and if a gray is pulling to green or blue, but I'm just glad I don't have the same issues with diamonds.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but the next question is temp setting. If I fall head over heals I'll need to start thinking about something. I've a couple Stuller ones I'm looking at, but this stone is at the top of my budget, so I need to go with someone who is competitive.

I've got an email out to a local jeweler in PDX, was thinking of reaching out to David Klass, is there anyone else on the West coast that would be recommended that has come in competitive for anyone?

Long term I see this going into a Bezel, but for now I'm thinking a six prong. I wish there was an eight prong option from Stuller, but don't think it exists.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore that Stuller crown setting and think it's perfect for a temp setting or long term!

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
OMG, they do make 8 prong findings! That website has been a struggle.

DiamondSeeker, the crown setting is one of my favorites.

I've got what I call man-ish hands, my fingers are as long as my husbands. I've put on a good bit of weight with baby #2, hence the temp setting. I've also experienced my ring size (and shoe size), going up a half size with each kiddo. Because I'm rocking a 8.5 ring size currently I'm thinking a slightly thicker band, maybe in the 2.5-3mm range, or something that is that in the shoulders and tappers down slightly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, they do make 8 prong findings! That website has been a struggle.

That's a nice way to put it! I can never find the same item from one week to the next! Its horrible!

Beautiful stone BTW!

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Drum roll....Picture overload
Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-4.jpeg Unknown-5.jpeg Unknown-8.jpeg Unknown-9.jpeg Unknown-10.jpeg Unknown-11.jpeg Unknown-12.jpeg Unknown-13.jpeg

I tried to take pictures were I could see the most and least color to show the range seen. It is a cloudy overcast day in in the PNW.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Oh, the bezeled stud next to the L stone is a Whitefish ACA 0.7 ct K color

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, its lovely...what do you think Volvoqueen???

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
My breath caught when I opened the FedEx box. The facets, oh the facets. My house is 102 years old and has the worst lighting known to man, it also has a lot of dark wood paneling, so I really shouldn't be taking pics in the house.

When I moved to the back of the house which has more windows I felt a lot more comfortable. When taking images in the darker room I think I was physicing myself out.

I love the creamyness of it from top down, not as in love with the full side view and the yellow tint that is seen, but I don't think it is a deal breaker. I'm looking at either a 6 or 8 prong for my temp setting, and then a Bezel long term. I know some feel that a white metal bezel shows the color of the stone more, but I think hiding the edge helps lessen the color on my studs. I did the PS foil think on one of the images.

FedEx came at 10:27am (deadline was 10:30), and I had a meeting I had to run to so I got to look at her (yes, it is a she) for 10-15 minuets before I had to lock her away and run to work.

Once I have a good bit of time to drool over her I'll give you my more in depth thoughts.

Final take away, good lord she is big, I don't think I'd like anything larger for daily wear.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it has a lot of personality! Maybe you should go with an 8 prong temp to maybe hide a little more of the side view if you're so-so about the
side view? I love the color you see in the black box pics...so pretty.

CVB just posted a big (and I do mean big) lower color stone on IG. I think it was an N. Its in a white gold bezel. Let me see if I can find and post it.

Edit...Well, I was thinking it was an "N" but now I see it doesnt say. Now that I look at it its probably not
that low but anyhow, here is the pic...big enough you think? I ask Caysie the color so I'll get back with
it if she answers my question. Just wanted you to see an OEC in a bezel.

large OEC.PNG

Attachments

• large OEC.PNG
    large OEC.PNG
    140 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it's super stunning!! I'm really lovingggg that facet pattern!! Swoooon! Would love to add one of these to my collection one day! :love::love::love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, she’s a beauty! I think she’s a perfect size - presence but not too big. That CvB bezel made me drool when I saw it this morning - it’s very sleek and tight to the stone. In saying that, I think she would look gorgeous in an octagonal bezel with teeny prongs too.
You’re going to have fun working out the perfect setting for her! What a lovely upgrade.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She's beautiful! And she's huge and looks like she sparkles from side to side.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the silence, the flu hit my office, this meant double time for the ones left standing. Friday could not come soon enough. Didn't leave much down time for important things like diamonds. I'm keeping this stone. The more I look at her the more I love her. I like the warmth, the big flashes, and that she is ever so not perfectly round, so darn pretty.

So I've searched to the ends of the internet and found that there is very little in the way of decent 8 prong settings for a temp setting. I'm leaning toward the Stuller 122004, which is just beautiful. I found a thread where everyone was showing their's off, wow :geek2:.

I follow many of the recommended PS vendors on Instagram and I saw that OWD has a beautiful 8 prong crown setting (image is a cushion stone), no clue on what that runs, but it is in the gut of what I was looking for. This is a pair of studs with the same head, similar size of stone to mine. I emailed three days ago and haven't heard back, so I'm assuming they only work with people who have purchased stones from them :(2.

Maybe this is the universe trying to tell me stop looking at greener grass, get the Stuller and where that stone!

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
I've emailed PS for help, but I noticed the "TRADE" emoji under my profile....I don't think that has been there the whole time (I hope not anyway), but I am not in the diamond/jewelry trade (although it would be very fun!).

Does anyone know if there is somewhere you click on your profile?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it’s gone now, because I don’t see it!

The diamond looks a lot like my second one! A champagne color rather than yellow or white. Mine isn’t set, so I am anxious to see yours set! I won’t set mine in a solitaire since the one in my avatar pic will likely stay a solitaire. I’d personally choose that Stuller crown setting for a temp or longer, because it looks so good. Kayla17 has it and it looks great! I’d caution you about 8 prongs on that size stone because these stones with larger facets do have to be cleaned well with a brush, so you have to be able to access the pavilion. Good luck with your decision, and I can wait to see more pictures!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
My OEC is in an 8 prong setting and I don't encounter any issues cleaning it (I do clean it frequently to prevent buildup).

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
My OEC is in an 8 prong setting and I don't encounter any issues cleaning it (I do clean it frequently to prevent buildup).

Good to know! My husband got me a sonic jewelry cleaner for xmas, so if not in a hurry I have that at my disposal as well.

Oh how I love your Miss M in the white metal. And your setting, that's the one!!! Love it with the cathedral shank. So clean and uncluttered. I appreciate intricate and detailed/vintage settings, but the more self reflection I do, my personal style that I know I'd wear every day is the simple solitaire with a nod to the old, like the 8 prong.

Reactions: EC8

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to say that I adore your setting (ring)!!! :love: It seriously is one of my favorite antique solitaires! But the difference is, your stone is huge...3.35 cts!!! So 8 prongs on yours covers no more than my 6 prongs do on my 8.4mm, 2.3 ct stone. So the smaller the stone, the more difficult it is to reach all of the pavilion with a brush. I keep mine clean, too, but I still have to brush the pavilion to get it really clean. I’ve thought of an 8 prong for mine, but I am not convinced I’d be able to clean it as well as I can now. Therefore, I am still waiting to reset!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results