shape
carat
color
clarity

Need CAD review help ASAP! Bezel setting + inspo

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had any further pointers - after a bit of a bungle with a prong style ring a resetting my e-ring in a bezel setting. Here is my original post about it: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-e-ring-prongs-need-tips.253002/#post-4643952

Here is the inspiration I sent:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chris-erd-is-setting-my-transitional.178155/
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-me-a-fiancé-my-oec-in-an-18k-rose-gold-bezel-by-erd.194098/
1574443931091 (1).png

The requests I wanted changed - slimmer bezel, 2mm shank, comfort fit band, 14k unplated white gold - it is a 2.01 c early RB, M color, I like the light creaminess of the unplated gold

Here are the CADs they sent me, I think they look fabulous but want to make sure, I told them I would get back to them in a day or so as they are eager to get started (SO AM I) - of course I jumped the gun and approved them without giving it too much thought as they looked like exactly what I wanted at first glance:
0 (3).jpg 0 (2).jpg 0 (1).jpg 0.jpg

Then someone else in my original post highlighted the high shoulder - thoughts? I think they made a good point so thinking of requesting that change but now I am not so sure:

1574784910892 (1).png

Last edited:

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I like the drawing better, seems more sturdy to have it go all the way up. But with it tucked under the bezel, you still won’t see it from the top.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like the drawing better, seems more sturdy to have it go all the way up. But with it tucked under the bezel, you still won’t see it from the top.

Thanks for the feedback! I am torn - should definitely sleep on it. The fiance likes the higher shoulder too.

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
First off, they are both gorgeous so I don't think you can go wrong either way. I probably would keep the high shoulders with the slimmer bezel (which I love) if it were mine, but I am far from a design expert.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see they have the milgrain on your CAD. Hand done milgrain tends to be more fine (from what I understand). I would double check with them.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the higher shoulder looks more integrated and seamless. All of my bezel rings have the shank meeting the bezel right below it, like your CADs. I also agree that the milgrain should not be cast, but hand applied, for a delicate look. Pretty design. I love my bezels. So very easy to wear. Good luck!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! My guess is, is that the milgrain is cast given the price point. Not sure if it is typical for a bench to possess the level of skill necessary for hand done milgrain. I might not be finicky about that level of detail unless cast milgrain really does look badly. I will hunt on the forum for examples..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe this milgrain was cast. CAD is the first photo. If you click on the photo you can see the milgrain.

Victoria - Parker V2-a.jpg

Finished ring outside. Click on the photo and you'll see how delicate the milgrain is. I think that's due to the skill of the jeweler I used. If you are concerned check out some of the milgrain they have done before.

20190801_152558.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I believe this milgrain was cast. CAD is the first photo. If you click on the photo you can see the milgrain.

Victoria - Parker V2-a.jpg

Finished ring outside. Click on the photo and you'll see how delicate the milgrain is. I think that's due to the skill of the jeweler I used. If you are concerned check out some of the milgrain they have done before.

20190801_152558.jpg

Thank you for sharing. I think your ring looks lovely! I saw a milgrained, bezel set ring they had in their store with tons of milgrain all over it - it was lovely to me. They do lots of vintage style details, I'd say nearly half of their rings so I bet their bench casts them a lot - I think they do some hand carving and forging, but I'd guess most of their settings are cast.

I figure if for some reason craftsmanship is subpar - they will have done the best they can and I am just going to save up again for a new setting a year or two down the road. It's a sort of ultimatum I set for myself. I am preparing for the worst outcome - but I expect I will be happy with the new ring if it looks anything like the CADs!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’ve seen cast milgrain that looks super delicate and beautiful! I can’t get over the vanilla creaminess of your stone, the un-plated white gold is going to play that up in such an amazing way.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen cast milgrain that looks super delicate and beautiful! I can’t get over the vanilla creaminess of your stone, the un-plated white gold is going to play that up in such an amazing way.

Thank you!! The stone is exactly what I wanted and more - full of personality, large spread and a total chameleon. It's kind of a funky early RB, no doubt it's a bit shallow and there's some leakage but I think it's perfect.

Without PS I wouldn't have known what to look for...I learned that vintage stones existed and how to ask for L-O colors - I'd look at jewelers but didn't feel a spark for any of the bright white stones, and for a long time thought I diamonds were pretty, but not for me...then I'd ask for "very off white" and they'd bring out bright fancy yellows! :???: I like very subtle / faint colors with most things, which isn't the norm I guess.

I was initially thinking YG for the setting but agree - the WG will allow the stone to really "shine" and is very complimentary. My original pronged setting that the jeweler made inspired me to do it again.

I can't help but rant, so sorry :) - over the moon with the stone!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the gold, I think you are in the UK right? If so, the white gold should not have nickel per EU standards. But, do check. Nickel can be quite allergenic.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
On the gold, I think you are in the UK right? If so, the white gold should not have nickel per EU standards. But, do check. Nickel can be quite allergenic.

I am actually in the US - Chicago! I made sure to ask earlier on that they have no nickel in the gold - we should be good! They said they standard alloy is nickel free.

Thank you for the heads up!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I approved the designs. Thanks everyone! I will come back with pics for the final product - should be anywhere from 3-4 weeks.

For any American PSers - happy Thanksgiving!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I approved the designs. Thanks everyone! I will come back with pics for the final product - should be anywhere from 3-4 weeks.

For any American PSers - happy Thanksgiving!

Yay! Now the waiting begins! It’s so hard. :lol-2:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Now the waiting begins! It’s so hard. :lol-2:

Goodness gracious is it EVER!!!! My fiance has no idea...he's got the patience of a saint and not very excitable about these things. Meanwhile, I have the day off to cook pies and stuffing and whatnot for Thanksgiving and WHAT AM I DOING?! Milling about on PS, lusting over jewelry and looking at my own CADs! :roll2::lol-2:

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Hi Annagene,
As you know, I'm a newbie and can't offer much advice but wish you good luck on your ring!

BTW, is your cat a ragdoll? My kids and I love the look and gentle demeanor of them. I currently have a crazy but lovable bengal cat, but we would love to have a ragdoll join our family someday...

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Goodness gracious is it EVER!!!! My fiance has no idea...he's got the patience of a saint and not very excitable about these things. Meanwhile, I have the day off to cook pies and stuffing and whatnot for Thanksgiving and WHAT AM I DOING?! Milling about on PS, lusting over jewelry and looking at my own CADs! :roll2::lol-2:

My husband feigns excitement for about 2 seconds. Definitely not a jewelry guy, but I so appreciate that he understands me enough to have me choose and design my own anniversary gift. :lol::appl:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi Annagene,
As you know, I'm a newbie and can't offer much advice but wish you good luck on your ring!

BTW, is your cat a ragdoll? My kids and I love the look and gentle demeanor of them. I currently have a crazy but lovable bengal cat, but we would love to have a ragdoll join our family someday...

Thank you kindly! :) Likewise to you on your ring...

And yes! He is a ragdoll, his name is Noodles and he's the sweetest, gentlest boy ever. I have also had a VERY high octane cat, he was a domestic shorthair (I've heard about bengals but never owned one)...after him I really wanted a gentle demeanor and that's just what I got. I also have a very neurotic Oriental Shorthair and another DSH currently. He fits right in like a dream and is the easiest of the trio. :bigsmile:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My husband feigns excitement for about 2 seconds. Definitely not a jewelry guy, but I so appreciate that he understands me enough to have me choose and design my own anniversary gift. :lol::appl:

Lol I totally get it...he also plays along for a moment and is simply happy if I am. How can I be mad at that? :))

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm a fan of both bezels and L-M-N-O-P stones. I think the design is beautiful (I agree withe the consensus here too- high shoulders!). Can't wait to see it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results