shape
carat
color
clarity

Need assistance with oval diamond purchase ASAP!!!

michellekbrown

Rough_Rock
Hey Pricescopers!

Because you are all so knowledgeable and helpful, I'm really hoping that some of you can help me make a decision between two oval diamonds that I've narrowed my choices down to.

Some background: my husband purchased a beautiful one carat round brilliant from Blue Nile for our engagement. The problem is, i really wanted a oval diamond but was too afraid of hurting his feelings so I didn't exchange the diamond within the 30 day window. Flash forward to today, 15 months after our engagement and Blue Nile has agreed to give me almost 90% of what we paid for the RB toward the oval purchase if we use them. Therefore I have to use Blue Nile and ASETs are not an option so I requested visual assessments instead.

Oval 1: 1.08 carat. Very good cut. H color, VS2 clarity. 1.41 L/W ratio. Depth is 60.2%, Table is 55%. Polish and Symmetry are both Very Good. Girdle Slightly Thick to Thick. No cutlet. No Fluorescence. Stone is 8.20x5.80x3.49mm.

Oval 2: 1.09 carat. Very good cut. G color. VS2 clarity. 1.36 L/W ratio. Depth is 57.8%, Table is 57%. Polish is Excellent, Symmetry is Very Good. Girdle Slightly Thick to Thick. No cutlet. Strong Blue Fluorescence. Stone is 8.05x5.90x3.41mm.

Blue Nile has confirmed that both stones are very white, have good light return, are eye clean, and have no prominent bow ties. The bow tie on the 1.09 stone is a little less prominent, probably because it's a chubbier oval?
I'm inclined to pick the 1.09 because I think it'll be whiter with the strong blue fluorescence (my current RB is a G with strong blue and looks more like a D or E), and because it had the less obvious bow tie but should I be concerned about the depth being so low? I've heard that when oval diamonds are too shallow, that can affect the light return to a certain degree.

I would appreciate any and all feedback and opinions on this. I really want to make a decision today, but I can't exchange the stone so I need to try and make the best decision with only one roll of the dice.

Thanks in advance PSers!!!!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Depth is a little low but since they already have eyes on both stones and prefer the 1.09, I think you should trust them( it is afterall all you have to go by) and have them ship it to you so you can see and decide for yourself. Did you ask them for photos of the stone? Maybe even the 2 side by side if they are in the same location? I know that they will atleast send you a photo of the stone. You really need photos and asets for fancy cuts. They cannot be judge by numbers alone. And I like the flo too :))

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
michellekbrown|1414256994|3772521 said:
I really want to make a decision today, but I can't exchange the stone so I need to try and make the best decision with only one roll of the dice.

Michelle,
That's a tough situation. To make the best decision, you really need to see the diamonds. Do you think BN would be open to selling you both ovals (one as a trade-in, the other paid in full), and then let you return the one you don't like (i.e., they may stipulate that you can't return the trade-in, but if you pay for the second diamond in full, their regular return policies should apply)?

Also, why does the decision need to be made today?

Another thing to ask BN about if the above suggestion is a no-go, is if they would be willing to ship both diamonds to an independent appraiser in your area (and allow you to return one of the diamonds after evaluation). This would allow you to compare both diamonds in person (at the appraiser's office).

I would think BN would want you to be happy with the oval you select, so hopefully they're willing to work with you in some way.

Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The LARGE majority of ovals are duds.

So... you really need to see them. Have the sent to an appraiser with an ASET maybe.

Or work with a vendor that offers ASETs.

michellekbrown

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I'm going to reach out to Blue Nile and see if they can at least send me some pictures of the two oval diamonds before I make my final decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results