shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Assistance in Finding Ring

clulsone

Rough_Rock
For a very long time I told my wife that I would get her a diamond ring as an upgrade to the colored stone engagement ring we originally got, but I am so overwhelmed by all of the options that I'm unable to make a decision in fear of choosing a bad option, so I am requesting your assistance. I would need to do a build a ring option, like Blue Nile or James Allen.

Here are the notes I have that help with the parameters: cushion or princess shape, very good cut, F or G color, VVS2-VVS1-VS1 clarity, Faint-None fluorescence, <68 depth, thin band, low profile, simple classic style, no gaps, "modern Grace Kelly", not showy, no pave. My budget is about $15k. What other information would be needed to help me out? I'm really looking for someone to point out some options that meet this criteria since I seem to have a mental block when it comes to picking out things like this. Assistance is appreciated.

dmack

Shiny_Rock

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I would try to narrow down the cut with her (I.e. princess versus cushion) and see if she has a preference for the type of cushion cut (elongated or more equal proportion, and there are several facet patterns used in cushions). If she’s all about “Grace Kelly” elegance has she looked at emerald cuts? I agree that a solitaire and then investing most of the $ in a gorgeous center stone is probably a good plan based on her requests.

what type of metal? What does her wedding band look like?

honestly if you feel anxious or blocked about it I would ask her to design it with you. It would be really fun IMO- pour some wine and make a date night out of looking at options online (or go shopping for some try ons if COVID allows in your locality!)

clulsone

Rough_Rock
She wouldn't wear it with her wedding band, so it would be standalone. The "no gaps" refers to the stone and the setting, so something that sticks up far would be bad. The setting in the links would be bad because of such a gap, so she mentioned something like a basket setting where it sits down further. I believe that an emerald cut would also be acceptable. For metal, it would probably be platinum.

I've had many conversations about doing it with her, but she doesn't want to feel like she designed it and wants it to be something that I picked out for her, although she encouraged me to come to this board and ask for help.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
She wouldn't wear it with her wedding band, so it would be standalone. The "no gaps" refers to the stone and the setting, so something that sticks up far would be bad. The setting in the links would be bad because of such a gap, so she mentioned something like a basket setting where it sits down further. I believe that an emerald cut would also be acceptable. For metal, it would probably be platinum.

I've had many conversations about doing it with her, but she doesn't want to feel like she designed it and wants it to be something that I picked out for her, although she encouraged me to come to this board and ask for help.

wow, sounds like you've got quite the task ahead of you! but she put you in a great direction!

so this "gap" you speak of, is a high, med, or low set diamond. Sounds like she greatly favors a low set diamond. I completely agree that a low set diamond is favourable if she is seeking comfort and ease.

so far, we have a platinum solitaire, low set diamond, featuring a princess cut, cushion cut or possibly an emerald cut.

for the cushion cut, there are different types: the more modern crushed ice look or the older style known as an antique cushion, also called an old mine brilliant or old mine cut or old miner.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So does the $15k include the setting or is that just the stone? I sort of went $15k all in (setting and stone).

There are different cuts of cushions and it would help to know what she/you like(s). You can look at this thread to see some different
types. Would she want a square or slightly elongated?

Here is a tread with a lot of cushion cut diamonds

Just some quick options to give you some ideas of what you're looking at
Super Ideal newly cut antique-look cushion AGS000

Emerald cuts - they are a different type of sparkle...I would make sure she is ok with that. They are definitely a classic.

Princess Cuts...these are Super IDeal AGS000 stones F/G

clulsone

Rough_Rock
Thanks, those suggestions definitely help. I was thinking about $15k for everything. I don't have anything in my notes about square vs elongated, but personally I think that the slightly elongated would be better (which based on my poor instincts probably means that I should go with the opposite). And I didn't describe the gap properly because it should be no gap between the center stone and side stones (if that were chosen). I found these settings, how well do they fit the description in the original post?

Setting 1

Setting 2

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they fit your criteria pretty well other than I wouldn't call them low profile. I would say they are probably average height. Other than that they both seem classic, not showy, thin band, etc.so yes, I think they fit your description pretty well.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
setting 1 and setting 2 appear to be rather highly set to me

so when you say "no gaps" in your original post you meant gaps between the stones in a 3 stone ring ... i see

well, the 3 stone rings that ive seen and handled don't, usually, have "gaps" between the stones ...

so have you narrowed it down from the 3 shapes yet??? [princess cut, cushion cut(square, elongated) (modern, antique) or possibly emerald cut]

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, figure out stone shape. Then pick stone.
Last pick setting.

that’s the order I’d go!

clulsone

Rough_Rock
So I'm at square modern cushion and the settings I posted earlier were not good choices (gaps between the side stones in one and the other is too high). Is there a good basket claw setting at one of the build your own sites? Still trying to meet the other criteria listed, of course. All help is appreciated.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
I think if you want a setting like this, you should just have David Klass do it. His price will probably be more affordable than any other retailer, his quality is top notch, and the design will be what exactly what you want. You would purchase a stone separately and then send it to him. He'll set the stone and send the completed ring back to you. If you reach out to him for a quote, he'll get back to you very quickly.

clulsone

Rough_Rock
I was hoping to get it from a build your own site, like James Allen or Blue Nile. Do they have something similar to what I posted? Since I struggle with this process, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell us what you like about the Klass solitaire? Is it the double prongs, minimal doughnut, well-fitted to the stone, no cathedral?

JA had a couple solitaires:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...olitaire-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-63932 - lots of stone visible from the side
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-white-gold-double-prong-solitaire-item-41059 - slight cathedral, double prongs, but may require a slight customization to fit it to a cushion
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...it-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-53315 is probably the closest match on JA, double prongs down to the shank, no cathedral

clulsone

Rough_Rock
She was saying that it fit what she was looking for, but she also liked that it was a basket. I think those are good suggestions, but would there be something similar that is also a basket? Thanks.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
The final link that @molecule posted has a basket. You might need to contact JA to see if they can customize it to fit a square cushion.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Another company that fits their settings to the stones very well:

Honestly, without more to go on other than solitaire and basket, it's hard to recommend settings.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Another company that fits their settings to the stones very well:
Agree, why not go play around on some of the sites mentioned in this thread and see what you like?

Honestly, without more to go on other than solitaire and basket, it's hard to recommend settings.

clulsone

Rough_Rock
I was looking at the stone a little and found some potential options. How well do you think this fits what I described earlier? I understand that I am going high on the price I listed above. I'm also putting a lot of focus on clarity, is that reasonable? Just seems to me that if you are getting something this significant that it should be a main focus, or should the crystals not matter so much?

Stone 1

Stone 2

Stone 3

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at the stone a little and found some potential options. How well do you think this fits what I described earlier? I understand that I am going high on the price I listed above. I'm also putting a lot of focus on clarity, is that reasonable? Just seems to me that if you are getting something this significant that it should be a main focus, or should the crystals not matter so much?

Stone 1

Stone 2

Stone 3

Unless you decide to go custom with your setting, I would pick a setting first and then choose a diamond from that site, that way you don't have to worry about shipping your diamond to another location. If blue Nile has a setting you like, I did love the second and third stones that you picked out and think that you're choosing very well.

On the topic of clarity, even most eagle eyed pricescopers can't see inclusions in stones that are graded VS1+ (AGS and GIA graded), so I would consider allowing your wallet to thank you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @molecule . I dont think BlueNile is going to have a setting that you like/want. They are rather thin on nice settings. A lot are peg heads
which is not what you want.

What size finger does your wife have? I* prefer elongated cushions/stones because they have a more elegant look on the finger (my opinion).

Any reason you are picking such high clarity? Nothing wrong with it but you're paying a little more and possibly limiting yourself and missing
out on other nice stones.

Did you take a look at JA?

Also, look here. They have settings like I think you're talking about.

You might note

Settings
https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Solitaire/Basket-Solitaire-Setting-17mm/Platinum/1930 a tad on the thin side at 1.7mm. I would
ask that the stone be set as low as possible. I would also ask if they have any 2mm shank basket settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results