shape
carat
color
clarity

Need an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zagato

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

This is my first post but definitely not my last :)

I just bought my wife a 1kt diamond ring (Si-1, H color) but i have some doubts. I measured the stones width and it has 6.22 mm which on all diamond charts means 0.85kt... The seller said (as well as the appraisal) that it is a 1kt stone... according to the diamond charts that I saw, a 1kt stone should be around 6.5/6.5 mm is this information correct ?

I also bought here a pair of studs (0.5kt each) which seem to be ok, they have a width of 5.0mm/each.

Can someone please help me out and explain how I can check if it''s ok. Is weighing the stone more accurate ?

Thank you in advance
:)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most accurate way is the weight the stone loose. Due to different ways a stone can be cut, surface diameter does not automatically correspond to the weight of the stone.

Do the stone come with a lab report? If so, can you post it here?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone can be deep and have more of its weight below instead of around. The lab report that Stone asked
for will tell us this (if its GIA/AGS report).

Not trying to panic you but is the stone still returnable?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some cutting houses even specialize in rounds weighing 1Ct but with a diameter of 6.0 mm. With that in mind, 6.22 is not that uncommon, but if correctly measured, it is a sign of poor cut-quality.

The appeal of such stones is the relatively low price for the (magic) weight, where many consumers do not realize that they get a stone that faces up smaller and that does not sparkle as much as it could with a better cut-quality.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Zagato and welcome!

It does look as if the diamond is cut deep and or is holding weight in other areas, if you could post all the info from the report if it has one such as depth %, table%, crown and pavilion angles etc, then we can get a better idea. Or if you have the grading report number we can look up that info online.

zagato

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot guys!!! Went to a local lab today... it is a 1kt diamond, that''s a relief :) The stone has the correct weight of a 1kt diamond but has a width of 6.22..

Anyway, now I am looking for a new stone, with a wider surface, something around 6.5mm. I understand that a 6.5mm diamond "sparkles" much more.

I''ll keep you updated.

thanks again!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 4:24:04 AM
Author: zagato

Anyway, now I am looking for a new stone, with a wider surface, something around 6.5mm. I understand that a 6.5mm diamond ''sparkles'' much more.

Not necessary, only if the angles are complimentary.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 4:24:04 AM
Author: zagato
Thanks a lot guys!!! Went to a local lab today... it is a 1kt diamond, that''s a relief :) The stone has the correct weight of a 1kt diamond but has a width of 6.22..

Anyway, now I am looking for a new stone, with a wider surface, something around 6.5mm. I understand that a 6.5mm diamond ''sparkles'' much more.

I''ll keep you updated.

thanks again!
Hi Zagato

A 1 carat diamond measuring 6.5mm will have the face up size it is supposed to have, as for performance and sparkle, that depends on the cut quality and the proportions of the diamond. Use the Holloway Cut Advisor if you are shopping in brick and mortar stores to help you, look for diamonds which score between 1 and 2 preferably for a ring stone, then use your eyes and an Idealscope if you can get one to help you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results