shape
carat
color
clarity

need an opinion on a diamond im thinkin about

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
this is my first time on this site...im hoping someone will respond.
i found this stone online, i have not seen this stone in person, i did ask the dealer his opinion and it was, "the stone is 99.9% eye clean, there is a flaw visible only at a specific angle." here are the stats:
cut: round
measurements : 8.28 x 8.15 x 4.97mm
carat: 2.04
color: E
clarity: I1
flourisine: none
cutlet: none
egl report
depth: 60.5%
table: 56%
girdle: med faceted
polish: good
symmetry: very good
price: $5,885.00
any comments?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

Well, I'm not loving this one. First of all, there is the fact that the stone comes with a report from EGL. Many of the EGL franchises are known for grading a stone 1-2 color and clarity gradings off of the way AGS or GIA would grade the stone. If the stone is actually a lower color, this would affect your preference and generally, price. If the clarity is not correct, you would want to know about durability of the stone. I wouldn't go by the seller's statement regarding how "eye clean" this diamond is. It is possible that any visible inclusion can be hidden by a setting if it is on the side or that it is in the center and will bother you. EGL graded stones are lower in price for a reason. For the most part, although some blame lab turnaround time, cutters would be inclined to send a stone to EGL if they know the stone won't be graded well at GIA or AGS.

You can ask the seller to send the stone to GIA for grading and make the arrangement that if the stone comes back the same as the EGL report, you will pay his/her fee for the cert. If it comes back with lower grades, you can decide if you still want the diamond and possibly negotiate price.

You can ask for a Sarin report if you want to know the crown and pavilion angles and use the cut adviser on this site for a better estimate of the way the diamond is likely to refract light in terms of brilliance and fire.

This diamond appears to me to have been cut for weight retention vs. beauty. The measurements make me think that it will not look so perfectly round. That is something that bothers me.

That price looks very low, but I'm not finding good comparisons. Which vendor has this diamond? I hate to say it, but you most often get what you pay for. Nobody is giving anything away and if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Hope that helps. :)

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
Hi and thank you for responding...the vendor is
israel-diamonds.com, I have purchased a diamond from them before, it was a .74 heart shaped D color I1 clarity. the diamond has a feather inclusion right in the center visible only w/a loupe. I'm happy with it but it is only .74, thats why I wanted an opinion on the larger stone...once again, thanks for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results