shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advise - help me to determine the meaning of Qualitative Report

Q

Queenie60

Hello - I am considering a sapphire ring and would like clarification on the terms used in the Qualitative Report as follows:

"2.9 pennyweight, medium slightly greyish blue color. Semi-transparent with app. 30% brilliancy and app 25% windowing. Gemwizard color description - blue (22) medium dark tone, very slightly greyish saturation. VS type II clarity"

Any clarification would be helpful while I am considering this purchase. Thank you experts!

Q

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that an in house appraisal/report, or from an independent reputable lab?

Q

Queenie60

Is that an in house appraisal/report, or from an independent reputable lab?
Hello @T L - It is a report prepared by David Atlas, Grace has this done when she's selling jewelry on her website - Jewelsbygrace.com

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea who he is. Is he independent, or does he work in house or cater to her? I only trust AGL prestige reports for color quality.

Maybe someone else can comment on his capabilities.

He’s referring to gemewizard which is a software that some use to identify color quality. You can look it up online, but the stone is medium dark, not very well saturated, but not awful color either. It sounds like it has some silk impeding it’s brilliance. Depending on the stone, that could be either a good or bad thing.

Q

Queenie60

Thank you @T L I appreciate your reply. He is an appraiser that she uses and he's located on the East Coast and she's in California. Don't know why she would use an out of state appraiser? Maybe I'll pass on this ring. Thank you again

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @T L I appreciate your reply. He is an appraiser that she uses and he's located on the East Coast and she's in California. Don't know why she would use an out of state appraiser? Maybe I'll pass on this ring. Thank you again

Maybe he’s a good appraiser/gemologist, but for any pricey sapphire, I would want a full AGL prestige report in addition.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @T L * * * He is an appraiser that she uses and he's located on the East Coast and she's in California. Don't know why she would use an out of state appraiser? * * *
I have no idea who [David Atlas] is. Is he independent, or does he work in house or cater to her? I only trust AGL prestige reports for color quality.
David Atlas is a well regarded independent appraiser who lives outside Philadelphia; he is on the Board of Directors for the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers, developed NAJA's certification program & grades its advanced placement exams.:
https://datlas.com/

He's also a longtime PS Trade member who posts (usually in the Rocky Talky forum) under the username oldminer.

Don't remember ever seeing any criticisms of the Pre-Purchase Qualitative Reports he's done for Jewels by Grace and Love Affair Diamonds (Erica DeRout) & imo they seem accurate, even conservative, in their assessment of the jewelry piece's condition, etc.

Can't tell from the excerpt of the Pre-Purchase Qualitative Report you posted which ring you're considering** & have no idea of the price, but fyi, the only AGL Prestige Report that classifies a gemstone's color is its full Grading report, the most expensive one; for a mounted gemstone, the minimum price is almost $450:
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist

So unless the previous owner of a jewelry piece with colored gem has supplied Grace with a Grading report, think it's very unlikely that she herself would make the investment to send the piece to AGL for such a report before listing it.

I don't know what Grace's current Return policy is (her Policy page link is mistakenly taking me to the page with the return form), but I assume it wouldn't be a final sale & a return wouldn't be a big hassle since you live here in the States. So you could see the sapphire for yourself under different lighting conditions -- for me, that in-person viewing of a colored stone's color and any "shifting" means more in determining a stone's appeal than a lab's color grading. (Although I'd like a Grading report were I, e.g., bidding on a pricey piece being auctioned by Sotheby's or Christie's which do not accept returns & whose jewelry-gemstone pics --in my limited experience comparing their pics with seeing the pieces/stones in person at their NYC galleries -- can be less than optimal from a buyer's viewpoint.)

** I'm thinking 2.9 pennyweight actually refers to the weight of the ring itself, not the sapphire: I've never seen David refer to a stone in pennyweight; plus, converting 2.9 pennyweight to carats = about 20 carats!

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

Thank you @MollyMalone , I appreciate your input. I'm continuing to think about this purchase. I'll ask Grace if there's a return period in the event I do not like the look of the stone once received. Q

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Your purchases are always 100% covered by our 3-day unconditional guarantee. If you don't love it, let us know by the end of the 3rd day of receipt, and we will happily take it back for a 100% refund (less the shipping portion).”

Quoted from JBG...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to just put this out there; for me, 3 days is not long enough especially without a lab report. David Atlas is good but for real peace of mind, I'd still want a lab report to check for stuff that matters like if it was cooked or not.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...3 days is not long enough especially without a lab report...

+1. I wish someone, who has purchased and returned her inventories, would share their experience here.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your purchases are always 100% covered by our 3-day unconditional guarantee. If you don't love it, let us know by the end of the 3rd day of receipt, and we will happily take it back for a 100% refund (less the shipping portion).”

Quoted from JBG...
agreed. How would someone ever be able to get it appraised by a trustworthy 3rd party (or have a lab report completed) in 3 days?!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
agreed. How would someone ever be able to get it appraised by a trustworthy 3rd party (or have a lab report completed) in 3 days?!

Many of her big ticket items do come with GIA certs, but 3 days is kind of pushing it. Maybe she is more flexible privately?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results