shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on this Edwardian ring, specifically the center stone

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi All, I just got an Edwardian ring that I adore.

Most of the stones are rustic-wonky with some inclusions-but the center OEC looks possibly like an replacement?

It's 4.7 mm and seems whiter (D/E/F color) and brighter than the other stones. The other stones are H/I to my eye. Is it crazy for me to replace it?

Here's a pic that shows the faceting-but not the color difference...

IMG_8707.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my :love:
What little (shame on you!) you’ve decided to show of this piece looks gorgeous!!!! Those pears!!

I think you may be correct about the replacement possibility, based on if the rest of the stones faceting patterns seem drastically different to the center, but all similar ballpark in style to each another. If just the color is different between them - I’d feel less so, but still would be a maybe.

No - I don’t think it’d be crazy to want to replace it.

I want to see more if it???? :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Lol-well @Rfisher it's currently too small for me so here's a pic on my DD's finger.

IMG_8827.jpg

And a side pic. It was a little bit of a project to begin with-I need to replace a side stone.

IMG_8709.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it!!
Question-
If you do decide to replace the center - would you keep the current (fishtail?) prongs?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Love it!!
Question-
If you do decide to replace the center - would you keep the current (fishtail?) prongs?

The prongs do seem like they are original to the piece so probably. Somehow the center doesn’t seem to visually ‘fit’ to me.

What are your thoughts?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Especially with the side view -

If I Google Edwardian diamond dinner ring - not much comes up with a center set like this.
If I change that to midcentury - it does.

I’m no expert. Just my thoughts.
But I agree with you. The center doesn’t exactly fit with the rest of the ring.
But ‘as is’ it’s still very pretty. Sometimes things aren’t perfect world.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d defer to getting @elizat ‘s opinion as being more factually correct when that’s the goal
:lol:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh thanks for tagging her! I’m hoping Elizat will weigh in.

It’s strange-my other two Edwardian rings are bezel set. I just did some digging and found this ring-not fishtail prongs-but definitely prongs. The delicate pierce work of this ring definitely looks on par with my other two rings.

1B20C261-3A7C-4367-B3EB-62457E2700B4.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. Those prongs are more airy.

I wonder if someone could pare down the solid squarish to more like that?
And keep the security /integrity, of course :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Yep. Those prongs are more airy.

I wonder if someone could pare down the solid squarish to more like that?
And keep the security /integrity, of course :)

I think I am less prong particular than you are :lol:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! Love the pears. Since you are taking it in to get repairs I would replace the center since it bothers you. I think the prongs are legit based on these rings. The one on the ring finger had work done, and not a great job unfortunately, so ignore the blobbiness and just note the style.
IMG_5395.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!! Love the pears. Since you are taking it in to get repairs I would replace the center since it bothers you. I think the prongs are legit based on these rings. The one on the ring finger had work done, and not a great job unfortunately, so ignore the blobbiness and just note the style.
IMG_5395.jpeg

Well, hello! I haven’t seen these beauties before. Now I need the dets!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Lol-well @Rfisher it's currently too small for me so here's a pic on my DD's finger.

IMG_8827.jpg

And a side pic. It was a little bit of a project to begin with-I need to replace a side stone.

IMG_8709.jpg

It’s so gorge and looks lovely on her finger!! Is your DD claiming this one? :lol:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, hello! I haven’t seen these beauties before. Now I need the dets!

The one on the ring finger is DH’s great grandmother’s wedding ring. We didn’t have any money when we married so we used the diamond in a more modern setting. Many years down the road, we had a diamond budget and put the diamond back in it’s original setting. Hence the blobby prongs.
The other ring is likely a brooch that was turned into a ring as the shank and back is plain wire that the top is soldered on to. I guess its a reverse mullet, party in the front and business in the back ;-)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I would hazard the repair/replacement happened in the 20/30's judging by the box prongs, it looks like a circular brilliant with no culet.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I would hazard the repair/replacement happened in the 20/30's judging by the box prongs, it looks like a circular brilliant with no culet.

Your theory seems on point. There is a small culet facet, but it looks minuscule next to the pear culets!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I‘m going to guess that the setting is Edwardian/ArtDeco and uses even older stones (high crown large culet pre turn of the century) BUT they used a more modern center stone (est 1910). The center looks “American Cut” to me, so it’s a younger stone than the others, IMO.

I’m looking at the squared off prongs which I originally thought were fishtail but that I think are actually an Art Deco design element.

So I think all stones are original to the ring. I’d just wear it for a while before you replace the center. See how it grows on you.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_5395.jpeg

Would you, could you please, indulge us with a side picture of great grandmothers ring? :love:

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Another thought/opinion
Based on the side view picture where the inside edges of the fishtail(?) setting appear to not be straight - perhaps the original was a smaller stone that was bead set in a box mount (like some of the side stones in the OP ring or the other example from @kgizo) and the setting was later modified for the current larger stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results