shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on this 1.01 Carat Round Cut Diamond

Evan2k20

Rough_Rock
Hello, I’m a newbie when it comes to diamonds and was lucky enough to find this great community. Was hoping I could get some opinions on this very strong blue fluorescent diamond I’m currently considering. GIA report and link to video is below. What is your opinion of the cut and the brilliance and fire of this diamond? What would you value you it at? Anything I should be aware of or ask the supplier about? Look forward to any and all opinions/advice to help decide whether or not to pick this one up. Thanks!!

Video link

55E4DCAD-02CF-4CEC-BD49-0D4E4CBAC1FB.jpeg 5FD99A8D-15B5-4A7E-A299-B3A2BE8EA4C9.jpeg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you run the numbers through the HCA calculator under the Tools tab above? It deeper overall than recommended here and has an overly steep pavilion angle paired with a steep crown angle, so I don't expect it score well. An HCA score of 2 or lower is best, sometimes up to 2.3-2.4 can be ok. Do you have any photos or videos of the stone? Advanced images like Hearts & Arrows, IS or ASET Images?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't a stone I would recommend. In general, sick to the following:

Table: 54-58 or 59
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown angle: 34-35 (35.5 ok with 40.6 pavillion)
Pavillion: 40.6-40.8 (41 ok with 34 crown)

You also do not need VVS clarity unless there is cultural significance. You will be able to find many eye clean VS2 or SI1s.

What is your budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you run the numbers through the HCA calculator under the Tools tab above? It deeper overall than recommended here and has an overly steep pavilion angle paired with a steep crown angle, so I don't expect it score well. An HCA score of 2 or lower is best, sometimes up to 2.3-2.4 can be ok. Do you have any photos or videos of the stone? Advanced images like Hearts & Arrows, IS or ASET Images?

There is a video link, but this isnt a good stone unfortunately

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm too lazy to analyze the cut but I agree that VVS is paying for something you won't notice.

Also, while I think fluorescence is super cool and have no idea why its presence tends to knock the price down a little, I'm not sure about "very strong" fluorescence. I've heard it can make the diamond look oily/cloudy/weird in sunlight.

Evan2k20

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, I did use the HCA calculator and it scored 5.2. For budget, I’m not really looking to spend much more then $5,000 which is what this one was offered at. I came here because I have no clue whether or not this was a fair price and didn’t know whether or not to trust the gemologist who told me that I should trust the GIA excellent mark and to ignore the numbers... Grateful that I found this site. I know very little about the diamond market so any advice on the best way to use a budget in that range would be much appreciated. I’m looking for a round cut in the 1 carat range for an engagement ring.

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, I did use the HCA calculator and it scored 5.2. For budget, I’m not really looking to spend much more then $5,000 which is what this one was offered at. I came here because I have no clue whether or not this was a fair price. I know very little about the diamond market so any advice on the best way to use a budget in that range would be much appreciated. I’m looking for a round cut brilliant in the 1 carat range.

Did you try using the search engine above? There you can select diamonds with Excellent HCA scores, which really helps eliminate the duds.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Fluorescence can be tricky. On the one hand, it can make a lower colour diamond appear more colourless in some lights but it can have negatives too like the oiliness/loss of clarity or some diamonds even glow in stronger daylight.

I agree that you can definitely drop down on colour to VS2 (or even SI1 if budget is tight) but I’d try less fluorescence, the angles closer to what’s listed above and personally would go up to G for colour ( though many people are happy with H but I can see the tint).

It’s also worth bearing in mind that diamond prices jump up at 1ct so if you’re ok to go slightly under 1ct, you’ll be able to get a far nicer diamond on budget and the size difference won’t be perceptible. It’s more of a mind thing of .95 vs 1ct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, I did use the HCA calculator and it scored 5.2. For budget, I’m not really looking to spend much more then $5,000 which is what this one was offered at. I came here because I have no clue whether or not this was a fair price. I know very little about the diamond market so any advice on the best way to use a budget in that range would be much appreciated. I’m looking for a round cut in the 1 carat range for an engagement ring.

You don't want to consider stones scoring over 2 on the HCA (in general). I would use the search tool and only consider stones that score in the excellent range on the HCA

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would need to request the GIA certificates to check numbers but these 2 are promising

Evan2k20

Rough_Rock
Wow. You are all so helpful. Very appreciative for all the replies. I’m actually in Thailand (as is the jeweler who will be making the ring) so don’t think I can purchase the diamond from the vendors above but it would be great to know what specs to go back with to the gemologist to have him check with his suppliers for options with a more ideal cut. From the comments so far it seems like the recommendation would be to drop clarity to VS2. Is H the color to go with it? I see one poster recommended a bump to G? Any other variables that should be tweaked in a new search? Thank you all so much!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't a stone I would recommend. In general, sick to the following:

Table: 54-58 or 59
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown angle: 34-35 (35.5 ok with 40.6 pavillion)
Pavillion: 40.6-40.8 (41 ok with 34 crown)

You also do not need VVS clarity unless there is cultural significance. You will be able to find many eye clean VS2 or SI1s.

What is your budget?

@Evan2k20 give him/her these specs and specify you want either an eye clean SI1 or VS2 with G/H color (unless your GF is super color sensitive)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone is cut too deep. You are losing diameter. A 1ct stone should be closer to 6.45mm in diameter, and only you can decide on its color. I'm fine with G/H color but others may prefer a higher color stone like E/F.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, JannPaul is a vendor in Singapore who I think sells ideal cut stones, some people on here have used him, you could do a search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results