shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on these OMC earrings...

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hello PS experts! Long time no see!

I am back again to ask your advice. My DH and I are looking to find my first "antique" piece of jewelry. (My 40th birthday is next week... Yikes!) I would love a pair or OMC or OEC earrings, and we found this pair at Jewels by EricaGrace. I love the size and the look of these earrings, and that they are OMC cushions. But as I look at the photos and videos more intently, I notice one of the earrings has a noticeable black spot/shadow in the middle of the stone. Is this normal for a true Old Mine Cut? I know they are not "perfect" stones, which gives them their character. But this black spot seems pretty obvious.

These earrings are not cheap. For $3200, would you keep looking? Or is this what I should expect for a true old cut?

Here is the link...
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Earrings/150ctw-Antqiue-cushion-Cut/29143029_S8dj84#!i=2481686573&k=9Z7KPJ7

Thank you so much!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Also... it is not obvious from every angle, but this photo seems to show it the best. You can also see it in the videos.
Thoughts??

omc_0.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the ear it might not be as noticeable but for my money I'd have to pass on these. The cut is obviously different on one stone than it is the other.

I'd give them a call and ask about anything else they might have or know about. I'd check Adam at Old World Diamonds and Singlestone as well.

Good to see you again and best wishes for the upcoming birthday!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would keep looking. 1. I am nuts about cut, so the dark center in one of the pair would bother me a lot. 2. $3200 is still a lot of money to spend on something about which I have doubts.

I would rather pay double the amount (of $3200) for a pair of earrings with super cut diamonds.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dougsgirl !!!
I immediately noticed the earrings because those are everything I would look for....
The mixed metals in the setting, the basket style, the size of the diamonds, the "flouro," :love: :love: :love:
I am not a "studs" gal, so I will take this style, please....

But regretfully, I really can't get past that the stones don't seem to match...
It would be something that would bother "me" (and my hair is long and I probably would only
"see" the difference in cut when I took them off and put them away...)

Maybe ask the ladies what they think... it's a lot to pay, I wouldn't want to have any doubts, you know?
If you do decide to buy them, I am sure they will be just lovely and sizzle like little firecrackers on the ear :))

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ladies...

Yes... you are confirming what I was suspecting. Bummer.
I, too, love almost everything about these earrings... the size, the cut, the mixed metals, the basket, the fact that they are not studs...
But I think the fact that they do not match would bother me. And I think a glaring dark spot would also bother me. It is a lot of money to spend and be unhappy.
I didn't notice the dark spot at first because I was focusing on all the rest. But once I saw it, I couldn't "un-see" it. :((

Thank you for your comments and recommendations. I really appreciate the PS community!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: HI, dougsgirl! JBEG has such beautiful things, and I think I might wait and get a better matched pair, too. I think antique cushions and OMC's are harder to match than rounds. And since you have a really beautifully cut AVC in your ring, I'd want the earrings to be well cut and well matched.

I will add, though, that you can't really judge that dark spot from the pictures. Earrings are going to move and it is unlikely that it is going to look dark all the time. You really have to order and look at any that you are considering. That way you know for sure!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS! And nice to see you!!

Did you happen to look at the JBEG videos for those earrings? It seemed that the dark spot showed up every time the earrings were viewed face-on. From the side they looked great. And there is so much I love about the cut and the setting... sigh. But I want to make sure it's money well spent.
There is also an antique (OEC) ring I am drooling over... but it is twice the cost. I am having a hard time convincing the Doug of Dougsgirl. LOL
I'm trying to work the "40th birthday plus 20-year anniversary combined" angle. (the anniversary is in February). He thinks after 8 months I will still want another gift.. Gosh, I hope I'm not that much of a child! ;-)

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dougsgirl :wavey: I would inquire with Diamond Zone about the pair RHea linked. We had a PS GTG there in April and Ilya is wonderful to work with. I purchased a gorgeous platinum art deco ring from them. I know other PSers have purchased from them and used their bench.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dougsgirl|1371013272|3463989 said:
Thanks DS! And nice to see you!!

Did you happen to look at the JBEG videos for those earrings? It seemed that the dark spot showed up every time the earrings were viewed face-on. From the side they looked great. And there is so much I love about the cut and the setting... sigh. But I want to make sure it's money well spent.
There is also an antique (OEC) ring I am drooling over... but it is twice the cost. I am having a hard time convincing the Doug of Dougsgirl. LOL
I'm trying to work the "40th birthday plus 20-year anniversary combined" angle. (the anniversary is in February). He thinks after 8 months I will still want another gift.. Gosh, I hope I'm not that much of a child! ;-)

I did go back and look at the video and I see what you mean. I'll tell you honestly what I'd do. I'd combine anniversary and birthday and get two AVC's or AVR's and have settings made like those. More expensive, yes. But worth it in the long run to me. I have a new AVR and it would be hard for me to settle for stones that weren't well cut and matched for earrings whether they are new or old stones.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Like others have stated, I, too, would pass on these. That is such a large area of obstruction in the one stone, too many facets are affected at the same time.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! We have decided to pass on these earrings. My sweet DH had already been emailing JBEG about them, wanting to surprise me on my birthday, but then I mentioned the dark spot... I am glad I posted the question here. I really appreciate all of the knowledge and advice! I am sad not to get them, but I know that I would not have been completely happy with them.

Rhea... those diamonds you linked are really beautiful! I would definitely consider going that route. I'm not sure DH is up for the idea of designing (or commissioning) another piece of jewelry right now, so soon after my e-ring. I think he likes the idea of just buying a piece that is already finished and that he knows I will love. So we will probably wait on the earrings for a while. But thank you for the link and the suggestion!

I have my eye on a ring at JBEG... but it is a lot more expensive. Not sure DH is going to take the bait for this particular birthday. I can't say that I blame him after last year's big purchase! And the fact that we are already heading to the Caribbean for a week to celebrate. I have been sufficiently spoiled!

And DS... I appreciate your suggestion about buying matching AVC's or AVR's for my earrings, but I think this time I really want a true antique piece. I LOVE my AVC and I would not change that for anything... but the OMC's and OEC's call to me. I really want to own one someday. I love the funky charm, the history and the romance of them. Here is the link to the ring I am currently in love with... JBEG believes it is Victorian. I love everything about it!!

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/185ctw-Old-European-Cut-Antique/28403756_7v2cGs#!i=2405543378&k=h5tDGGm

Thanks again, everyone! And I know I will be back when it's finally time to buy some earrings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results