clarity

Need advice on selling a large old mine cut diamond

carmine7

Rough_Rock
Looking for information on where to sell a 3.35ct GIA certified diamond
preferably in New York.Thanks

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The first thing that came to mind was I think David Atlas in Philadelphia has a company that buys fine pieces. Also Pearlman's jewelers in MI and Jewels by Erica Grace are often used to place items on commission. I'm sure they're all easily found with a web search.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Joseph DuMouchelle has a NYC office and deals in fine vintage estate diamonds. Look him up. Fab to deal with, knowledgable, honest and fair.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Yes yes!!!!! Pics and specs please! :appl:

carmine7

Rough_Rock
I sent the stone to GIA to get a detailed appraisal . When I get it I will post pictures and specs.Does anyone know anything about Old World Diamonds.They are located in NYC.and they deal in antique jewelry. They seemed very interested in it.
Thanks,
Carmine

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Lots of people here have purchased stones from old world diamonds and been happy but I don't recall anyone selling to them. Give it a shot.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Smart to send it to GIA. They are the gold standard for reputable dealers. Bet
it will appraise whiter than you think. :)

stci

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1302157800|2889953 said:
Lots of people here have purchased stones from old world diamonds and been happy but I don't recall anyone selling to them. Give it a shot.

Same here. Hope they will give you a good price for your diamond cause if you sell it to private person you certainly could obtain an excellent price!

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
i know here in the uk lots of good jewelers do private sales where they will put a piece of jewelery in there display cabinet, you set the price and they take a modest cut when it sells. if you sell it to someone who is then going to sell it on you wont get a good price as they have to make a profit as well. i don't know if its the same in the US though.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am potentially in the market for a large old cut stone but I don't know how we could make contact with each other.

Unicorn64

Rough_Rock
I'm currently working with Adam at Old World Diamonds for something similar now. He's very cool...I'd definitely contact him as he's been more than fair with me. His response time is amazing also! Good luck!

ETA: Please post pics when you get the stone back!

carmine7

Rough_Rock
I would like to get the highest price but dealing with Joe public can be dangerous.I am willing to let a dealer make a profit on selling the stone as long as I am getting a price that is fair but my problem is determining what is fair.I would like to know what the wholesale price per caret and the retail price.That be said I have an old europeian cut . Is there antique value added or maybe it is deducted.Too many variables to deal with as a lay person.

Unicorn64

Rough_Rock
Perhaps it would be a good idea to send your diamond to Dave Atlas for an appraisal once you get it back from GIA. My understanding is that he specializes in appraising old cuts like yours, but doesn't hike the value for insurance purposes. He also posts here which is always nice. That may give you a good feel for the amount you're looking for. I don't know if the fact that it is an OEC adds/deducts value, but all diamond prices are going up including old cuts.

http://www.datlas.com

nikkikeith

Rough_Rock
from what i understand being an antique cut vs say round brilliant makes it lose value...that is why so many old cuts have disappeared due to recutting, and the cut shows more color and isnt as sought after as the RB... so less demand makes the value less...

mind you it might be pretty close these days as antique cuts are gaining quite a bit of popularity, and the prices on eBay and the like have really come up so you never know...

if you want to make as much money off of it i would sell it yourself (i think there has been some interest already in this forum) or consign it with jBeg or something because if a dealers buying it off of you they usually offer a great deal less (maybe 30% of its value) from what ive seen

carmine7

Rough_Rock
When I get the stone and Certificate back from GIA I plan on posting it along with some pictures. Hopefully then I can ask the forum what they think the price range of the stone would be.I just don`t want to be taken advantage of.This stone is my Late Father`s.He past in 2001. I am thinking of selling the stone because the stone is set as a solitare in a platinium band pinky ring and it is just not me.So after a long and frustrating thought process I decided to sell it and get something I will wear in his memory instead of letting it sit in a vault.
Thanks ,
Carmine

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considering consigning the stone? Jewels by erica grace deal with a lot of beautiful antique stones. I'm not sure if you'll make out better by selling it directly or if you'd make out better by having them take a commission on the stone but after it gets back from grading I'd contact Erica or Grace as well (even if it's just to see what they say). I can't wait to see pictures! :love:

www.jewelsbyericagrace.com

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I think the fact that it is such a large antique cut, if fine in other respects (color, cut grad, inclusions, etc.) , may very well fetch you quite a price. Blue Nile and the like have a thin margin on their stones. Joseph DuMouchelle and other diamond appraiser/sellers take a percentage but you could almost think of it like a fee to get access to their clients who will pay a premium for a hard to find fine stone. Antique stone lovers/buyers are a smaller pool of people, but they will pay premium for quality antique stones. As will other dealers. ;-) A 6.92 ct. Asscher just went for $85,000.00...as an example. Look on Artfact.com for price histories on stones.

carmine7

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for your input.I think the plan I have as to valuation of the stone is a good one. If I get any professional jewelers opinions from this forum along with some lay peoples purchase prices maybe I can feel comfortable enough to set a price that I can live with.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
carmine7|1302624558|2894115 said:
When I get the stone and Certificate back from GIA I plan on posting it along with some pictures. Hopefully then I can ask the forum what they think the price range of the stone would be.I just don`t want to be taken advantage of.This stone is my Late Father`s.He past in 2001. I am thinking of selling the stone because the stone is set as a solitare in a platinium band pinky ring and it is just not me.So after a long and frustrating thought process I decided to sell it and get something I will wear in his memory instead of letting it sit in a vault.
Thanks ,
Carmine

If you just don't like the setting, would you consider re-setting it rather than selling it?

carmine7

Rough_Rock
No. I am not a pinky ring type of guy! With all do respect and with my name Carmine , I feel it represents a Soprano type of look.I am more of a executive type.The only ring I wear is my gold wedding band. That being said I have a weakness for luxury watches.I own a Rolex Blue Sub and a Nice Patiek .With the money I get for the stone I plan on getting a new Rolex Daytona and have it engraved with my Fathers initials.This I will wear a lot!!
Carmine

nikkikeith

Rough_Rock
im sure youll get enough for the watch for sure :) sweet that youll have it engraved so its still something to remember him by

carmine7

Rough_Rock
Yes it means alot to me.He was a great dad and he taught me that hard work and persistence will always lead to great accomplishments.
P.S. GIA is shipping me back the stone along with the cert. today.

carmine7

Rough_Rock
Here is the GIA Cert. March 29,2011
Shape- Old European Brilliant
Measurement:9.34-9.41x5.59mm
Carat Weight-3.07
Color Grade-Q to R
Clarity Grade-SI1
Finish
Polish-Good
Symmetry-Good
Fluoresence- None
I will post pictures later on .Any thoughts on value both retail and wholesale will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Carmine

nikkikeith

Rough_Rock
well jewelsbyericagrace.com has one listed right now comparable at

3.62 cts
Center stone measures 9.65 x 9.45mm.
M/N color, VS clarity
for $25,450 (with setting $3,000)

and yours is lower color and clarity grade,

but it gives you a ball park figure at least

cant wait to see pics!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked sites like oldworlddiamonds.com and newyorkestatejewelry.com for comps?

carmine7

Rough_Rock
No I have not . I am going to post pictures tomorrow.The stone shows a nice light yellow color.I am wondering if it could be classified as a fancy light yellow stone. I bring this up because fancy yellow diamonds are in demand right now, they also refer to them as a Canary Diamonds and I think this will add value to it or least make it more marketable.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I am a fan of those creamy light yellows. Someone might choose to set it in such a way to play up the yellow but in order to be classified as a fancy yellow it needs to be more saturated than Y-Z. I have seen many W-Z stones that sure look nice and yellow when set in a fashion to play up color and contrast though.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen some things that are more yellow toned look fab with rose gold. Haven't seen the stone yet, but a rose gold bezel setting with milgrain and engraving would probably make someone swoon. : )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results