shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on evaluating an oval diamond

marisman

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a beginner of knowing oval diamonds and would like to learn about what constitutes a great oval cut diamond?

For example, would this be consider a good one? Why or why not?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-9584320

Do the pavilion main facets play an important role to a shining diamond? How to know a diamond contains how many pavilion mains when the diamond is below 1 carat when there isn't a facet plot on GIA report.

Thanks!

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
For example, would this be consider a good one? Why or why not?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-9584320

Do the pavilion main facets play an important role to a shining diamond?

How to know a diamond contains how many pavilion mains when the diamond is below 1 carat when there isn't a facet plot on GIA report.
1.It is average to above average in regards to light return.

2. The pavilion main facets are very important (maybe the most important)

3. You can (easily) see the number of pavilion main facets. This one has 8.

marisman

Rough_Rock
1.It is average to above average in regards to light return.

2. The pavilion main facets are very important (maybe the most important)

3. You can (easily) see the number of pavilion main facets. This one has 8.

what if the diamond has 4 or 6 pavilion mains? Does it means the sparkles are not as good as the 8 pavilion mains?

I got the GIA report and would like to ask does the table and depth of this diamond allow enough light for reflection? I think it is a nice diamond with a reasonable price.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 7.02.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 7.02.13 AM.png
    721.2 KB · Views: 22

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what if the diamond has 4 or 6 pavilion mains? Does it means the sparkles are not as good as the 8 pavilion mains?

I got the GIA report and would like to ask does the table and depth of this diamond allow enough light for reflection? I think it is a nice diamond with a reasonable price.

Pavilion mains are a personal choice but they can help in reducing the dreaded bow tie affect that afflicts many ovals. Light performance in fancy cuts is best reviewed with an ASET image, which you will be lucky

I like the oval you have picked but it’s not a traditional oval shape, it’s squatty which isn’t terrible but it is going to be cut deeper which gives less face up real estate. Now that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing because it’s an 8 main, the bow tie is nonexistent in this stone and that is typically only achieved with deeper cut ovals.

Personally I love a nice elongated oval

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most common pavilion designs in ovals are:
4 main, 6 main, 8 main, 8 main offset
In addition, there are 10 main and modified oval brilliant.

One is not necessarily better than the others.

But in general (over generalization)
1. Elongates ovals have more leakage than rounder ovals
2. Shallower ovals have more leakage than deeper ovals. But they have bigger spread.
3. Shallower ovals have more bowtie issues than deeper ovals. But they have bigger spread.
4. 6 main and 8 main ovals tend to have better light return, but also often have bowtie issues.
5. 4 main ans 8 main offset have less light return, but bowtie effects are less severe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results