shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on emerald cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emnini

Rough_Rock
I''m currently looking for an emerald cut stone with a rather extreme l/w ratio, 2 and above would be fine. I found one stone on blue nile which sounds interesting:
carat: 1.02
colour: F
clarity: vvs2
8.48x4.15x2.95mm
depth 71,1%
table 65%

cut, however, is only good. I want the stone in a bezel setting; will this be fine? could I even consider a fair cut, for which union offers some otherwise interesting stones?
and why are bezel settings so rare for emeralds?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 6:02:26 PM
Author:emnini
I'm currently looking for an emerald cut stone with a rather extreme l/w ratio, 2 and above would be fine. I found one stone on blue nile which sounds interesting:
carat: 1.02
colour: F
clarity: vvs2
8.48x4.15x2.95mm
depth 71,1%
table 65%

cut, however, is only good. I want the stone in a bezel setting; will this be fine? could I even consider a fair cut, for which union offers some otherwise interesting stones?
and why are bezel settings so rare for emeralds?

thanks in advance for any advice!
Hi emnini

The problem is without images we have no way of knowing how well an EC or other fancy shape is cut. Detailed photographs are needed as is an ASET image. A Sarin report is also very useful in order to get the crown height for these diamonds. Without images at least there is no way to tell how well these shapes are cut, or to judge the patterning which is very important in these diamonds.

You can use these basic guidelines to screen out the diamonds with a less desirable basic outline.

depth 70% or below
table 65% or less
crown height 10% and above

Then the rest is images. I would look at some vendors who have in house diamonds or the ability to source you a great EC from the virtual listings.

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.niceice.com

www.jamesallen.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

Yes you can have a bezel setting. As to fair cuts these aren't likely to be very pretty diamonds but overall don't go by cut labels such as Ideal, Premium etc as this is no guarantee of getting a well cut diamond, treat each stone on its own proportions and visual properties as explained above.

emnini

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reply; I contacted blue nile, but it seems that they do not send pictures. since I live in europe, I would generally prefer a european vendor; otherwise, things get pretty complicated due to custom duties, but I''ll check out your links.
I would also be ready to do a bit of travelling; going to antwerp, for example, would be no problem; anyone does have tips where to shop there? I guess actally seeing the stone makes the choice easier...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 12:08:56 PM
Author: emnini
thanks for the reply; I contacted blue nile, but it seems that they do not send pictures. since I live in europe, I would generally prefer a european vendor; otherwise, things get pretty complicated due to custom duties, but I''ll check out your links.
I would also be ready to do a bit of travelling; going to antwerp, for example, would be no problem; anyone does have tips where to shop there? I guess actally seeing the stone makes the choice easier...
Yes, if you travel to Antwerp contact Rob van Beurden at www.diamondhouse.be

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results