shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on buying engagement ring ... "quad" okay?

Countdown3

Rough_Rock
So I'm clueless on this stuff and have seen contradicting info on the internet. I just started shopping around for an engagement ring for my girlfriend and found one that I really liked, but the center stone is 4 smaller stones rather than one large one. I've seen this called a "quad" setting but also seen terms like "illusion", "invisible", "composite" thrown around.

I don't make very much (neither does my gf) so have a relatively low budget. $1,000 or less is great, anything over $2,000 is too much. My girlfriend isn't materialistic at all, so I don't think she'll care how much I spent. This ring comes with the wedding band as well and happens to be on sale so I could get it for just under $1,000. And the thing is I really like this ring for my girlfriend. I've seen other ones with a "solitaire" diamond that are still in my budget and technically are worth more, but I just didn't like the ring as much. I like the setting on this one as it's very unique with a "rope" decoration on the side and I think it suits my girlfriend. The band is just something I haven't seen anywhere else I've looked (and some places with "original" bands are way out of my price range). If the ring had a single diamond instead of the quad I'd pay another $500 for it, but that's not the case.

So my question is, what are your opinions on this quad situation? I've read that it's harder to clean and that it's more likely the stones can fall out. The thing is the store says to bring it in 2-times a year and they'll clean it for free and it has a lifetime warranty if a stone falls out. So in my mind that kills the two big cons for having the "quad" setting. Am I missing something else? Is there a reason I should be wary?

It's from Zales and I've been warned about "quality" at the mall stores. I'm no expert, but to my naked eye it looks great. I couldn't even tell it wasn't one diamond and it's very "sparkly" even not in direct light ... I looked at a ring in Kay Jewelers and it was just extremely dull in the light relatively so I could tell the difference.

Below are photos of the ring and then the ring and band.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

photo_224.jpg

photo_2_102.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, those are invisible set princesses right?
Yes, they can be problematic. But then again, the set looks pretty and you do like it for her. Let me look around and see if I can see anything for your budget to give you a few options.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
I would advise you to stay away from the illusion setting, if you can avoid it.

This one is under $2k and would be totally respectable:

18k Gold Vintage Deco Style Old Mine Engagement Ring

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=store-product-detail&id=214

Give Wink a call and see if that's still available. A GREAT price for a piece like this and perfect for your needs.

Definitely a ring you could be proud of!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a nice 1/2 carat princess:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD01961259 1038
Plus this setting: http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19788?elem=img&track=product 190

Plus this band: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-white-gold_21211?elem=img&track=product 530

Total: 1800 including the wedding band. But we can find you a much more affordable wedding band. Or she could find one for herself.

This is for an excellent quality princess diamond. And it would be better than the quad. Safer too. I think you should get the diamond engagement ring. And let her chose her own wedding band.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lioness|1408178710|3733557 said:

I like both of these. You could offer 1700 for the first one, and see if the seller will accept. The second one is just lovely though. And then she could pick out her own wedding band.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408173943|3733535 said:
Here's a nice 1/2 carat princess:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD01961259 1038

This is for an excellent quality princess diamond. And it would be better than the quad. Safer too. I think you should get the diamond engagement ring. And let her chose her own wedding band.
Wow, that looks amazing, and not just 'amazing for the price'!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd prefer to have a single stone rather than a quad ring. If you think your girlfriend would prefer the quad style it's not a terrible deal.

If you wanted a single stone but wanted to spice it up a bit, the princess Gypsy chose for $1038 plus this setting would get you a more intricate design, http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-setting_44710?elem=img&track=product.. That's $1498 for the engagement ring. It has a matching wedding ring for $410 which puts you under $2000...but I'd let your girlfriend pick her own wedding band when you guys get closer to the wedding date.

This is a very pretty setting with the princess cut that Gypsy picked if you like the halo and cluster look better, http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/princess-cut-halo-engagement-ring-14k-gold_33942?elem=img&track=product.. That'd be $1588 for the engagement ring.

Gabriel NY has a princess cut with a halo and twist style setting for $940 and it says it includes the centre stone! https://adore.gabrielny.com/product/ER8731W44JJ

And $1485, https://adore.gabrielny.com/product/ER911734S1W44JJ.CSD4

Countdown3

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, thanks very much for all the fast responses and ideas. I honestly had never considered buying a ring online since I didn't know if you could trust that (without inspecting it for yourself first). But you all would know better than me about it so good to know that is an option. Seems there is way more selection online than the jewelry store and I see you can get way better deals too so I'll start looking at these and search around a bit. I was never committed to buying a engagement ring/wedding band set, the ring I found just happen to come with the band.

Related to my original question though, given the store's cleaning/stone replacement lifetime guarantee, what is the downside to the quad style? Just curious since everyone seems to be against it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are all diamond connoisseurs so none of us would buy a ring from a mall store, or a quad set. If you really like it, get it. The rings the others found are far superior in quality.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The store guarantees don't mean much. Most jewellery stores will clean your rings for free or a minimal amount. The guarantee is invalidated if you miss an appointment or have someone else work on the ring. The store will probably have so many loopholes in the policy that it's basically useless for most things you'd have problems with - such as what happens if you drop the ring on a tile floor and chip the diamond. Do they replace that or is it considered your fault because you dropped the ring? Any protection is against damage, not loss so you'll still need to get insurance on your ring (renter's insurance may cover it) basically making the store policy redundant and useless. And if the store goes out of business, or sells itself to one of it's subsidiary as they are sometimes known to do...what happens to your policy then?* Especially since this type of setting is known to have problems over years of wear.

Stores pay a lot to be based in a mall and have high overheads. They sell to average Joe Doe and that's fine. That's good, even. It has a place. But as you saw with your own eyes in Kay's vs Zales not all stones are created equally. And it's cut rather than colour and clarity that effect the sparkle. The stone Gypsy found you is cut to maximize sparkle. And it's from a vendor with low overheads so you're paying for the diamond rather the more expensive brick and mortar location. Short version - These stores sell inferior cut diamonds at high mark-ups.

* we bought a sofa years ago and shortly after paying for it the company sold itself to one of it's partners. I forget the full details now but when we had a problem with it and went back to the company we were told that while the company was called the same thing and some of the owners were the same, it was not, in fact, the same company and therefore our guarantee was invalid. That was a bit of an eye-opener about corporations and their guarantees!

Countdown3

Rough_Rock
Rhea, those are some good points about the store warranty; I hadn't considered that. Mostly I liked the band there, but it seems like I can get a unique band online with a better diamond. I know she likes princess cut/white gold so going to search those sites listed for that.

Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just be careful. Not all princess cuts are created equal. You want a good performer. That's why I posted that Blue Nile one for you. If you want a princess, let us help you find it. It will be safer, and you will get a good performer.

I do really like that Blue Nile princess I posted for you. Can you call them and put it on hold for now? And then look around a little? I'd hate to see you lose out on it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Countdown3|1408198671|3733640 said:
Related to my original question though, given the store's cleaning/stone replacement lifetime guarantee, what is the downside to the quad style? Just curious since everyone seems to be against it.

Quad styles are more delicate due to the type of setting. We've seen several insurers say that they don't insure quad-set rings because the risk is too high. They are pretty notorious for losing stones.
http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Diamonds/Invisible-Set-Diamonds/What-Are-Invisible-Set-Diamonds.html
http://www.jewelrynotes.com/invisible-setting-diamond-rings-should-you-buy-them/

re: lifetime replacement guarantee: "To maintain your Lifetime Diamond Commitment limited warranty, you need only bring your diamond to Zales every six months for cleaning and inspection, along with your record-keeping card. (For example, if you buy your diamond in January, bring it in every July and January. If you bought it in February, bring it in every August and February, etc.) When you bring your diamond to Zales for your semiannual inspections, a Zales sales associate will verify the inspections on your record-keeping card."

To maintain this, you MUST bring it in EVERY SIX MONTHS AND make sure they note that you have done so on your card and in their system. We've also seen people who've had to fight to get things replaced because even though they brought it in every six months, the store employees didn't note it down. Or they moved to an area without a Zales. Or brought it in a month late. It's kind of... not the best deal, really.

That's the bad news. The good news is that people have already posted a lot of great options, and there are a ton of people here who will post more if you can narrow down what you want.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an invisible set ring once upon a time. It wasn't an engagement ring but a right hand ring. One of the stones got twisted in the setting and it was sent back for repair three times. Never was right and I traded it in. I would NEVER recommend that type of setting. Get a single stone ring. Size is not the issue so get the best cut stone you can for your budget. You won't regret it!

allysssa

Rough_Rock
Just glanced at this thread and didn't read all the replies, but, to answer why I don't like the "quad" -- My fiance got me a similar ring (for under your budget) and I returned it. The overall shape was nice and suited my hand but I didn't like that the little stones were trying to give the illusion of a bigger stone. I personally just really dislike that - it looks cheesy to me.

I'd rather just have something small. I ended up getting a much lovelier vintage ring for less than your budget that is gorgeous with a good spread that is delightful.

allysssa

Rough_Rock
I just reread my post and hope it didn't come across badly - now that I look at it I fear it might be offensive. Thinking about it, I find a lot of things cheesy that people love - including the way super expensive contemporary pave is done! It's not about the cost - just something about the style.

For me the problem with a "quad" is that it's attempting to look like something it's not. Some people say the same thing about halos - that they don't like them because they think they are meant to create an illusion of a larger stone. I love halos, though, I think they are classic (though I like the older more floral ones where you can see the metal). But the four small stones together to me are trying to mimic a larger stone. If someone likes that style for that style itself then I think a quad is great. But if someone just wants a certain proportion, or blinginess, I think another route is preferable.

I personally think that there are lovely, lovely options under 2k (love the vintage one posted above) and if you like vintage, some very nice options under 1k too. My ring was under 1k and I look around frequently and happily see things between 600 - 1300 that I love.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hope you skip that quad set ring....I have a couple pieces of invisible set jewelry-a pendant and a pair of earrings, but in a engagement ring it seems more like a fad. It is not the classic look that you want to stand the test of time. With a single stone, if you wanted to upgrade her ring somewhere down the road, she could make a lovely pendant with it and still wear a very sentimental piece.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are so many options out there for rings under 2K, and if you are willing to go estate the pool opens up so much wider! Are you open to a pre-loved piece?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results