shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on 2.5 versus 2.8 carats

angie_staun

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

My boyfriend and I are stuck between the two images below: a 2.5 and 2.8 carat ring. Though the photos may show otherwise, they are the same quality--the only difference is the size. I really love the 2.5 ring and thinks it's gorgeous. The 2.8 carat ring almost feels a bit too "flashy" for me but I feel quite confused because my mother, aunties, etc are encouraging me that in my 40s-60s etc I will really treasure a slightly larger ring.

I feel so grateful and excited to marry my bf and am so flattered he's supportive of either ring. Do any of you have preferences or thoughts between the two rings? I've been going back and forth for days so would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 2.5.jpg
    2.5.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.8.png
    2.8.png
    813.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both beautiful! The illusion of diamond shrinkage may activate when you get older...If they are of equal quality then I would get the 2.8...If you like the 2.5 then get that one. I would make sure that whoever you purchase the diamond from has an upgrade policy. You may want to do that later. Do whatever will make YOU happy! Congratulations!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful! The illusion of diamond shrinkage may activate when you get older...If they are of equal quality then I would get the 2.8...If you like the 2.5 then get that one. I would make sure that whoever you purchase the diamond from has an upgrade policy. You may want to do that later. Do whatever will make YOU happy! Congratulations!

This! Wise words! But I would take the 2.8

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Maybe the 2.5 is speaking to you for other reasons than just the size. Perhaps the cut is slightly more to your liking? Can you post stats on both?

angie_staun

Rough_Rock
I don't have the specific stats on both but I know they were of the same quality and both looked beautiful in person. The only dilemma I have is truly based on the size difference--would love to know if any of you had thoughts on what size ring looked better on my hand. Thank you so, so much--really appreciative of all of you!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Without having the stats, I’d base it on which one is most pleasing to my eye— which sounds like it is the 2.5.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Both diamonds are stunning on you. I would go for the larger size.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Which one pleases your eyes the most? That's the one to pick. This being said, how do you know - both are of the same quality?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post copies of the lab reports? Unless they have the exact same cut specs (which is highly unlikely), one may have better specs. FYI, by cut specs we aren’t referring to cut grade (e.g. GIA Excellent), we are referring to the dimensions of the diamond shown on the lab report.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i understand op maintains that the 2.5ct and the 2.8ct is the "same quality" which could mean a number of things ... could be same color grade and same clarity grade, of course it is the same make of diamond, mrb

but ...

i don't know if it is just me, but the diamond in the image on the right appears brighter than the diamond on the left.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I say go bigger now but if you have the info on the reports it would be easier to say for certain which is better regardless of size

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Take your time. 8 sounds so much bigger than 5 but realistically, there's not a huge difference between 2.5 and 2.8. Depending on other numbers, a smaller stone by carat can have the same width as a larger stone.

I'd go with the one that really catches your eye. On the other hand, if they are literally the same for your eyes, it's indeed something to say that your stone is almost 3 carats as opposed to 2 and a half carats :D

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If YOU like 2.5 one then GO WITH it! Perfect forever size.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others who have suggested you get the lab reports. They will tell more of the story which may help in the decision-making. Additionally, I don’t see how any of us can really give a solid opinion based on these 2 images which are not very clear.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the 2.8 on you but at the end of the day it’s really what you would like to wear all day that matters.

Do echo what others have said about going for vendor with good upgrade policies. Many here have experienced diamond shrinkage syndrome or simply wanted to upgrade after a few years. You may think 2.8 is huge now but many others here rock bigger ones on their fingers.

I like how the 2.8 looks proportionally on your finger as compared to the 2.5. I’m a size ho and I like a good amount of finger coverage, especially if you can achieve the finger coverage through just the stone! Diamond shrinkage does set in, so I’m a believer in buying as big as you can upfront, a stone that you like the look of otherwise. You could go with a simple solitaire setting to show off your stone to the max and reducing the amount of extra bling on your hand!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with auntie, go big.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Get the exact stats and calculate the HCA number on both stones. Then choose based on those results. OR you may not choose either stone based on their HCA score. The 2.8 looks brighter in that picture but it's just one picture. You don't have enough information to make an educated choice.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i would go for 2.8. it looks noticeably BIGGER compared to the 2.5. it's flashy and it POPs! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results