shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice- diamond studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sally Newbie

Rough_Rock
Hi all.
I''ve been lurking for some time, fueling my addiction to diamonds. I now have an issue I''d love help with... any and all advice would be appreciated.

After much internet price comparison, I purchased a pair of .4 cttw dia studs (G, SI1, plat 4 prong) from a Wash DC area "premier diamond importer" that operates both B&M and internet stores (don''t know if I''m allowed to post the name, but would be happy to do so). They have a very good reputation in this area. They claim that all their studs are "premium" cut, which I understand can mean an array of things, but given their rep, I felt I could trust them. I selected these studs from their online database b/c they had much better stats and were approx $200 cheaper than the others in their listed stock (and only ones in plat)... I paid $500. They arrived very sparkly and pretty, but a little smaller than I''d like (surprise). The store''s appraisal letter states value at $650. 7 day return policy, lifetime upgrade (any amt higher, not just doubled) policy.

So I went back online, prowled their site, and found a pair of .62 cttw H VS2, 14kt wg, EGL cert studs listed for $795. Also seems like quite a deal, as comps were $1k and up. I liked that they''re certified--thought I''d run them thru the Halloway cut advisor, etc. They have now arrived and are beautiful (obviously more pleasing size), but was disappointed that a note came with saying that the orig pair had been sold and that they''d matched size and qual (no mention of the now not included EGL cert). The pair they sent had been listed on the web at $1k (can tell from sku no.), never had an EGL cert. Store''s appraisal paper states $1100 as value.

The question is... should I fuss over the omitted EGL cert? I know many websites have clauses that say "actual items may have been sold, call for avail." Theirs dosen''t, but I suppose they could''ve nixed my purchase and not honored the price. Perhaps the orig prices (795 vs. 1k) were reflective of cut qual differences, and not just old stock vs new stock, in which case I should be happy? And then there''s the issue with value of EGL certs anyway.

I''d thought plat would be preferable to avoid any allergy issues with nickel in wg, but I''m liking the larger diamonds.

Any advice would be most appreciated. I have to make a decision quickly to return either the .4 or the .62 pair.

33.gif

Thanks in advance.
-Sally newbie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
did it state somewhere on the site that a like and kind substitution would be made? if not i would send BOTH pairs back and not give such a company my business.
14.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they couldn''t produce the cert, I''d send them back. Call them and talk to someone there. I''m sure they can come up with something that will be to your satisfaction.

Sally Newbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input.

No, I didn''t find any mention on their site about substitutions. I will definitely call to see if they can help satisfy me, but thought it might be a good idea if I had a proposed solution in mind. I''ve never had diamonds appraised independently-- do indep appraisers provide measurements, etc. if the dia are already mounted?

If you had to assign a "value" to the EGL cert (not clear whether theirs would have been US or Euro), what would it be? I''m wondering if asking them to pay for independent appraisal would be an equivalent solution.

And I hate to be too much of a difficult customer, mainly because I''m over 8 mos pregnant and don''t want to get into any blood pressure raising altercations!

Thanks again for your input.
-Sally

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results