shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice: Antique Earring Backing

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased antique Victorian diamond earrings, and they have a post back. The earring backs they came with don't fit very snugly, so I'm debating between:

A. Buying new jumbo friction backs, or
B. Changing out the posts to La Pousette for added security. I would need to find a jeweler to do this since the backings are meant for those posts only.

The earrings were in the neighborhood of $5k. Do you think that's worth the trouble of switching to La Pousette?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I would change them out. I used to have several pairs of Cartier earrings with La Pousettes and loved them. I don't have anything of that value now, but I travel for work and if I lost an earring I'd never find it again. Photos?
Pretty please?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow, just wow!
I think you are my spirit animal!
Would these originally have had shepherd hooks?
They're just gorgeous.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@InsecureSweetGirl thanks! I don't know what hooks they had originally. The only info I got is that they belonged to the same family for generations, and they were brought to the US when that family fled Germany during the war. My jeweler estimated that they were made in the 1830s.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel I considered those as an alternative to La Pousette, but I was deterred by reviews that said they can keep moving towards your earlobes and squish them. I'd be interested to hear how they work for you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel I considered those as an alternative to La Pousette, but I was deterred by reviews that said they can keep moving towards your earlobes and squish them. I'd be interested to hear how they work for you!

I’ll use them on my pearl studs tomorrow and my scissor earrings Wednesday (was planning to dress like Wednesday Adams thy day so should work out) and I’ll I’ve you a reciew. They came today st first review I don’t find them uncomfortable but I only tried for a mo

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll use them on my pearl studs tomorrow and my scissor earrings Wednesday (was planning to dress like Wednesday Adams thy day so should work out) and I’ll I’ve you a reciew. They came today st first review I don’t find them uncomfortable but I only tried for a mo
So far I’ve been wearing my pearls since 830 and it’s 245 - very comfortable I have not noticed any pinching and I have been pulling in them to see if I can make them pop off they have not

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results